To whom it may concern:
I am now monitoring the admin email account for the forum. This is separate from my personal email that my account is tied to. You can generally expect a reply in one or two business days, often less. This post is referring to the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of every page. When you use that link, the forum does not identify who you are (unlike when you click on a member name and have the ability to email or PM a person). Folks who can't log in obviously must use the "Contact Us" link.
Please keep the following in mind -
The purpose of emailing the administrator via the "contact us" link is for, well, administrative functions. Not to find out how much your gun is worth, particular load data, or to assist your search for odd/obsolete items. In particular, the emails that will be answered will generally fall under the following categories:
1. You lost your password and can't log in.
2. You cannot post even though you think you may be registered on the forum, or
3. You are experiencing problems posting, even though the forum lets you log in.
The rest mostly gets deleted.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE include your forum user name in your emails. I am not able, at this time, to read your thoughts over the internet and may or may not be able to figure out who you are via the email address.
So as to expedite the questions that will get asked anyway, despite this posting, let me offer the following information free of charge:
1. I am not a gun dealer, appraiser, or auctioneer and don't have the slightest idea what your gun is worth. Sorry!
2. Load data is available from Accurate, Barnes, Hodgdon, Hornady, Lyman, Nosler, Ramshot, Remingson, Speer, Sierra, Winchester, and I don't know who all else. Those folks have ballistics labs and know what they are doing. I have books from almost all of them and can endorse that each and every one as a valuable and reliable source of load data. If you don't believe what is published in them or have a wildcat and/or non-standard cartridge, try Quickload. For those with the .500 JRH, I will help you out as I can - but send through my personal email (ie. click on my member name and so on). However I would prefer any questions to be posted in the forum, so that the answers may help all. Same goes about making custom stocks and other personal hobbies that have nothing to do with being a forum admin.
3. Try, in this order - the manufacturer, www.e-gunparts.com
(Numrich), Brownell's, Midway, and any local gunsmith with boxes of parts, if you are trying to fix something, order reloading components, etc.
4. Please do not send vague emails with no useful information. "What's up the forum doesn't work" may be an accurate statement, but it is not going to be helpful in getting your issue resolved. Include any error messages if this is not a registration issue, word for word, if you would like to resolve the problem quickly. Because the very first thing I am going to ask you is, "What is the exact text of the error?" if you have not included that. Feel free to send a screenshot if you don't want to type out everything word for word. The programmers actually appreciate screenshots because there is no ambiguity, and there may be other clues on the screen that let us know what is going on.
Thank you. I am glad to help with any administrative issues. Don't forget to include your forum user name.