The web's most comprehensive user-interactive handloading database! Find the loading data created by handloaders, for handloaders, post your pet loads, or access and develop your own online loading database with our LoadNotes personal handloading database software. This feature, unique in its concept and intuitive in it's data presentation is fast to access, superbly organized and comprehensive in scope.Our online forums for questions and answers on many shooting and outdoor related topics. A dynamic, active, and well-informed resource for your enjoyment and interaction. Our most used resource on this website! Come share the experience with us!
» Advanced

Go Back   Shooters Forum > Blackpowder > Blackpowder Cartridge Shooting and Loading
Register FAQ Members List Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-22-2007, 11:43 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St. Louis...USA
Posts: 23
Center Fire Cylinders for black powder revolvers...


Registered Users do not see the above ad.


Seems I noticed in Midway's catalog replacement cylinders to convert black powder to cartridge capability?!? Any use or comments? Thanks as always!
__________________
NRA Endowment, NAHC Life.
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-22-2007, 12:24 PM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 25
Low octane. I have one for my 1858 and I find it nice to have my options open to me. I am looking at getting one for my colt walker now. If you can help it try and get the one with the loading gate on it, much like the peacemaker design. I don't think it is listed on their website but ask them about it. It does exist. The one I have is a two piece cylinder that you have to take the barrel and cylinder off in order to reload. The new cylinder that I want to get allows you to just reload and eliminates the disassembly process. The people I would suggest to you are Taylor & Co, Inc. They are great and if for some reason something is wrong then they will take great care of you. I hope this helps. Here's the web address that goes straight to the conversion cylinders that they offer: http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/produ...on%20Cylinders
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-22-2007, 03:23 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St. Louis...USA
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom
Low octane. I have one for my 1858 and I find it nice to have my options open to me. I am looking at getting one for my colt walker now. If you can help it try and get the one with the loading gate on it, much like the peacemaker design. I don't think it is listed on their website but ask them about it. It does exist. The one I have is a two piece cylinder that you have to take the barrel and cylinder off in order to reload. The new cylinder that I want to get allows you to just reload and eliminates the disassembly process. The people I would suggest to you are Taylor & Co, Inc. They are great and if for some reason something is wrong then they will take great care of you. I hope this helps. Here's the web address that goes straight to the conversion cylinders that they offer: http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/produ...on%20Cylinders
Thank you very much! This forum is great!
__________________
NRA Endowment, NAHC Life.
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-22-2007, 04:10 PM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: North Central Ohio
Posts: 623
The conversion cylinders with the removable back plates are made by Kenny Howell at R&D Gunshop http://www.randdgunshop.com/ . The conversion cylinder with the loading gate is made by Walt Kirst and is called the Kirst Cartridge Konverter http://www.kirstkonverter.com . They are sold by a number of different places, including Midway, Buffalo Arms, etc.

I have one of the R&D conversion cylinders in .45 Colt for my Pietta 1858 Remington .44 cap & ball revolver. It works very well too.


A buddy of mine has a couple of the Kirst Cartridge Konverter cylinders for some of his revolvers, and he likes those very well too.

Last edited by Gunslinger2005; 02-22-2007 at 04:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-22-2007, 07:26 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St. Louis...USA
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger2005
The conversion cylinders with the removable back plates are made by Kenny Howell at R&D Gunshop http://www.randdgunshop.com/ . The conversion cylinder with the loading gate is made by Walt Kirst and is called the Kirst Cartridge Konverter http://www.kirstkonverter.com . They are sold by a number of different places, including Midway, Buffalo Arms, etc.

I have one of the R&D conversion cylinders in .45 Colt for my Pietta 1858 Remington .44 cap & ball revolver. It works very well too.


A buddy of mine has a couple of the Kirst Cartridge Konverter cylinders for some of his revolvers, and he likes those very well too.
The research so far has indicated that "cowboy loads" are the only acceptable loads. Is that a industry standard?
__________________
NRA Endowment, NAHC Life.
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-23-2007, 07:21 AM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 25
From what I understand cowboy loads are the only thing you want to shoot out of em.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-23-2007, 05:45 PM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: North Central Ohio
Posts: 623
Despite the types of steel used in the conversion cylinders, the guns themselves are only rated for black powder or cow boy type smokeless loads. The Remington replicas are probably somewhat stronger than the Colt replicas, but you should use and enjoy them for what they are. Use them as they're intended. They're a real bast!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-23-2007, 07:30 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St. Louis...USA
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger2005
Despite the types of steel used in the conversion cylinders, the guns themselves are only rated for black powder or cow boy type smokeless loads. The Remington replicas are probably somewhat stronger than the Colt replicas, but you should use and enjoy them for what they are. Use them as they're intended. They're a real bast!
Beautiful handguns! Point taken...
__________________
NRA Endowment, NAHC Life.
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-24-2007, 07:35 PM
Old Ironsights's Avatar
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Michiana/Chicagoland
Posts: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger2005
Despite the types of steel used in the conversion cylinders, the guns themselves are only rated for black powder or cow boy type smokeless loads. The Remington replicas are probably somewhat stronger than the Colt replicas, but you should use and enjoy them for what they are. Use them as they're intended. They're a real bast!
Unless, of course, it's a Ruger Old Army..... then you can feed it pretty much anything.

I had a Kirst on mine for a good while. It was way more accurate with the Kirst & 45LC than C&B.

Now, however, I just pour 50gr 4F into the chamber and stuff a .490 Round Ball over it...



Last edited by Old Ironsights; 02-24-2007 at 07:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-25-2007, 05:35 AM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: North Central Ohio
Posts: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Ironsights
Unless, of course, it's a Ruger Old Army..... then you can feed it pretty much anything.

I had a Kirst on mine for a good while. It was way more accurate with the Kirst & 45LC than C&B.

Now, however, I just pour 50gr 4F into the chamber and stuff a .490 Round Ball over it...


Old Ironsights,

I kind'a forgot about the Kirst Konverters for the Ruger c&b revolvers. I stand corrected.

That's a big hole in the end of that thing! You better be careful; you might put your eye out looking down there. 50 grains of 4f; that's pretty impressive too BTW.

When I first got the R&D .45 Colt cylinder for my '58 Pietta, it would shave a little lead sometimes with some .45 Colt cow boy type loads. I ended up using an 11 degree reamer on the forcing cone, and that cured the problem. Mine actually shoots the .45 Colt cow boy loads better than it does the .44 (.451") round ball loads.

With the .44 c&b loads the most powder I've ever used was 30 grains of 3f (compressed). With conical type bullets, I usually never go over 25 grains. If I'm using Triple 7, I cut the charges back about 10% from those loads. For .45 Colt loads, I usually try to keep the loads to something equivalent to those levels.

I've wanted to get a second R&D cylinder with removable back plate for my '58 Pietta, so I could do some fast reloads. If you click on the link on the Kirst web site under "reload in seconds", it kind of gives you an idea of how fast you can reload a '58 Remington replica (including the Rugers) with those types of cylinders. It's almost like using a speed loader with a modern double action revolver. Just be careful to not drop a loaded cylinder with the exposed firing pins!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-25-2007, 03:46 PM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 25
old army

Old Ironsights,
50 grains sounds like fun. My dad has an old army just like yours by the looks of it. I love that sucker and I'll be ****ed if that things isn't accurate as all get out too. Ruger makes some rugged and reliable revolvers.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-25-2007, 04:36 PM
Old Ironsights's Avatar
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Michiana/Chicagoland
Posts: 383
The gun is a custom by Dave Clement.

.50 Cal. Ruger Old Army: This is a 5-shot conversion of the Old Army to .50 cali. Gun will shoot .490" round balls @ 1250 fps (that's .357Mag energies with a bigger honkin hole...) and a .488" dia. bullet @ 1150 fps using Hodgdon's Triple 7 powder. Standard features include an oversize 5 shot cyl. made to fit your individual gun, 6 3/4" full octagon barrel with integral front sight base and dovetailed sight blade, action job, and reliability modifications. Accuracy will put some centerfire guns to shame. (it will.)

.488 Bullets are available from Mt. Baldy Bullets. Stainless guns only. $995 or $1400 on our gun.

http://clementscustomguns.com/handguns/ruger.htm

I haven't chrony'd the 50gr4F loads yet, but they are smoking. I just sighted it in at 25yds with .490RB and 30gr 4F and was getting 2-1/2" groups... at -4degF... in the wind...

However, the gun is so tight that it MUST be cleaned every 3 cylinders or so - even with 777. But then, since it's stainless, I kust keep a bucket of hot water handy to swish it out.

I'm going to work with it again exclusively at my next BP shoot.

Last edited by Old Ironsights; 02-25-2007 at 04:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-26-2007, 08:00 AM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 25
That's a nice piece. I really like that barrel on your setup there.

Last edited by Crom; 02-26-2007 at 11:55 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Colt Dragoon on the Plains (article) Gatofeo Muzzleloaders 3 10-26-2007 08:14 AM
Found! Original loads for C&B revolvers Gatofeo Muzzleloaders 4 09-26-2005 08:26 PM
Proper use of cap and ball revolver - revised Gatofeo Muzzleloaders 0 02-11-2005 01:48 PM
CYlinders mouths and lapping bullets MattC General Discussion 1 01-23-2001 02:49 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:22 AM.

< Contact Us - Shooters Forum - Archive >

 
 

All Content & Design Copyright © 1999-2002 Beartooth Bullets, All Rights Reserved
View Privacy Policy | Contact Webmaster | Legal Information
Website Design & Development By Exbabylon Internet Solutions
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2