» Advanced

Go Back   Shooters Forum > Handloading > Bullet Casting
Register FAQ Members List Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-20-2010, 12:33 PM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: I live in southwest VA near the WV line.
Posts: 226
casting and making paper patched bullets


Registered Users do not see the above ad.


Howdy,

I asked this question along with some others on another forum, but I need to know about paper patched bullets. I found one bullet made by RCBS and that's all. So if anyone knows of other bullets that are designed for paper patching please let me know.
I also need to find a book on paper patching bullets. Ot at least an article from some magazine that tells how it is done.
My next step will be to get a sizing and lubricating rig, for other cast bullets since I now have that Marlin 1895 with the ballard rifleing I want to try making my own bullets for it. Any help will be appreciated. I've already ordered a book from Lyman on casting bullets and it should be here soon.

Thanks,

longrangehunter
__________________
" The only indigenous criminal element in America is Congress", Mark Twain

NRA Life Member
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-20-2010, 02:01 PM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 5,567
http://www.neihandtools.com/

This is a link to the NEI catalog.


I use the #37 .301” 162 grain bullet in the .30 caliber rifles.

http://www.neihandtools.com/catalog/index.html

In the .45 calibe rifles I use the #278 .45 410-grain paper patch bullet. This is an excellent 45-70 bullet.

http://www.neihandtools.com/catalog/index.html

We use several others but if I am thinking paper patch bullets today it is either Veral Smith or NEI.

The links wont get you there but they do get you to the bullet search page which makes it easy to get to the picture of the bullt.

__________________
slim
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-20-2010, 02:25 PM
unclenick's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Hilliard, Ohio
Posts: 10,901
The Paper Jacket, Paul A. Matthews, Wolfe Publishing.
__________________
Nick
__________________________
Orange Hat Family Member
CMP Certified GSM Master Instructor
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Benefactor Member
"First contemplation of the problems of Interior Ballistics gives the impression that they should yield rather easily to relatively simple methods of analysis. Further study shows the subject to be of almost unbelievable complexity." Homer Powley
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-23-2010, 05:39 PM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: I live in southwest VA near the WV line.
Posts: 226
Casting and making paper patched bullets

Thanks Slim and Uncle Nick,

I think that should at least get me started in the right direction! Have a a great holiday season!

longrangehunter
__________________
" The only indigenous criminal element in America is Congress", Mark Twain

NRA Life Member
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-24-2010, 04:56 AM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 5,567
Donít overlook the NRA cast Bullet handbook and supplement - which unfortunately are out of print and are beginning to bring a premium price. These two books have all of E. H. Harrisonís articles on modern paper patch bullets using smokeless powder in bottleneck cases. Harrison was first with reliable technique and data for the modern patch paper patch bullet. His articles and little shorts in the Question and Answers column form the basis of all modern writing on the paper patch bullet.
These booklets need to be reprinted.
__________________
slim
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-26-2010, 02:45 AM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by longrangehunter View Post
Howdy,

I asked this question along with some others on another forum, but I need to know about paper patched bullets. I found one bullet made by RCBS and that's all. So if anyone knows of other bullets that are designed for paper patching please let me know.
I also need to find a book on paper patching bullets. Ot at least an article from some magazine that tells how it is done.
My next step will be to get a sizing and lubricating rig, for other cast bullets since I now have that Marlin 1895 with the ballard rifleing I want to try making my own bullets for it. Any help will be appreciated. I've already ordered a book from Lyman on casting bullets and it should be here soon.

Thanks,

longrangehunter
For a Marlin .45-70 , try for a final OD of around .460" . I have one mold that drops bullets big enough to size to that diameter . The 405 grain Lee Hollow Base . I honed the Lee .457" bullet sizing die to .460" .

The other molds I have drop bullets too small . Try paper patching them with cigarette paper .

God bless
wyr
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-06-2011, 01:09 PM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Rosseau, Ontario Canada - Boonies between Parry Sound and Huntsville
Posts: 40
I have a very extensive description about paper patched bullets By col E. H. Harrrison in the issue describing cast bullets. Issuedby the NRA. I describes handling velocities up to 3000 fps in 30 cal. projectiles, the type of paper to use , and the method of wrapping. I tried it in my 458, works ok. A bit of work, but hey, what is time spent on a hobby? I don't know if scanned articles and posted here are aceptable, but I could make more info available.The publication is "Cast Bullets" By col E.H. Harrison USA (ret) Issued 1979. Even describes the type of paper needed and the special dies used to test the projectiles.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-06-2011, 08:53 PM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjay View Post
I have a very extensive description about paper patched bullets By col E. H. Harrrison in the issue describing cast bullets. Issuedby the NRA. I describes handling velocities up to 3000 fps in 30 cal. projectiles, the type of paper to use , and the method of wrapping. I tried it in my 458, works ok. A bit of work, but hey, what is time spent on a hobby? I don't know if scanned articles and posted here are aceptable, but I could make more info available.The publication is "Cast Bullets" By col E.H. Harrison USA (ret) Issued 1979. Even describes the type of paper needed and the special dies used to test the projectiles.

I would be interested .

Thanks ,
Wyr
God bless
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-06-2011, 09:08 PM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: I live in southwest VA near the WV line.
Posts: 226
Casting and making paper patched bullets

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjay View Post
I have a very extensive description about paper patched bullets By col E. H. Harrrison in the issue describing cast bullets. Issuedby the NRA. I describes handling velocities up to 3000 fps in 30 cal. projectiles, the type of paper to use , and the method of wrapping. I tried it in my 458, works ok. A bit of work, but hey, what is time spent on a hobby? I don't know if scanned articles and posted here are aceptable, but I could make more info available.The publication is "Cast Bullets" By col E.H. Harrison USA (ret) Issued 1979. Even describes the type of paper needed and the special dies used to test the projectiles.
************************************************

Howdy,
I sent you an e-mail so that you could scan and send me the data. I tried finding that issue of American Rifleman with no luck at all. Thanks for your time!

Respectfully,

longrangehunter
__________________
" The only indigenous criminal element in America is Congress", Mark Twain

NRA Life Member
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-15-2011, 05:28 AM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 463
I have been experimenting with a lee 300 grain .452 bullet patched up with tracing paper and sized to .457. Looking at my notes I see I used 45 grains of 4198 and accuracy was around 4" at 100 yards and had a sharp recoil in my BC. Most of these bullets I cast went into a 45LC so I did not get to try different powders to see if I could get the groups a little tighter. They would probably make a good hunting bullet for ranges out to a couple of hundred yards especially if cast from a little softer alloy.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-15-2011, 06:06 AM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
I have been experimenting with a lee 300 grain .452 bullet patched up with tracing paper and sized to .457. Looking at my notes I see I used 45 grains of 4198 and accuracy was around 4" at 100 yards and had a sharp recoil in my BC. Most of these bullets I cast went into a 45LC so I did not get to try different powders to see if I could get the groups a little tighter. They would probably make a good hunting bullet for ranges out to a couple of hundred yards especially if cast from a little softer alloy.

Try patching it out to .460" ( if that will chamber in the loaded ammo ) .

Or get a 300 grain .45-70 mold . I have a Lee 340 grain ( I think ) mold .

God bless
Wyr




God bless
Wyr
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-16-2011, 08:41 AM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 463
Most of my 45-70 loads are with a 390 gr. gas checked Lyman bullet, I found the mold in a box of used stuff at a gun shop that I frequent. I wish it were a plain base and a double cavity instead of a single, but the price was right. So during a casting season I always end up with twice as many of the 300 grainers than the 390s so inevitably some of the 300s end up in the 45-70.
Quote:
Try patching it out to .460" ( if that will chamber in the loaded ammo ) .
Do you size your bullets after patching or try to get to .460 with patch thickness? At present the only 45 cal bullet sizing dies I have are .452 and .457.

Last edited by Lynn; 01-16-2011 at 08:45 AM. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-16-2011, 11:58 AM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Most of my 45-70 loads are with a 390 gr. gas checked Lyman bullet, I found the mold in a box of used stuff at a gun shop that I frequent. I wish it were a plain base and a double cavity instead of a single, but the price was right. So during a casting season I always end up with twice as many of the 300 grainers than the 390s so inevitably some of the 300s end up in the 45-70.
Do you size your bullets after patching or try to get to .460 with patch thickness? At present the only 45 cal bullet sizing dies I have are .452 and .457.

I have the Lee 405 grain Hollow Base mold that trows bullets .460" or greater . Lapped the .457" sizer to .460" and size the HB bullets with it .

With smaller bullets , I try to increase the diameter with patching to be .460" or greater .

God bless
Wyr
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-18-2011, 12:11 PM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Rosseau, Ontario Canada - Boonies between Parry Sound and Huntsville
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by longrangehunter View Post
************************************************

Howdy,
I sent you an e-mail so that you could scan and send me the data. I tried finding that issue of American Rifleman with no luck at all. Thanks for your time!

Respectfully,

longrangehunter
Hi, I scanned the stuff. About 27+MB in 25 jpg files. Each about 1 mb+ . How do you want it? As an attachment to an email , or on a CD? Iffen you like a CD, send me an address I can mail it to. Reply to my email [email protected] Okay?
John
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-18-2011, 12:19 PM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Rosseau, Ontario Canada - Boonies between Parry Sound and Huntsville
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyrTwister View Post
I would be interested .

Thanks ,
Wyr
God bless
See my reply to Longrange Hunter. 1 Cd, 2 CD's hey, they are just used for coffee cup coasters any way
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-18-2011, 02:52 PM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjay View Post
See my reply to Longrange Hunter. 1 Cd, 2 CD's hey, they are just used for coffee cup coasters any way



If emails are OK , that will be fine .

If , not , I will PM my mailing address to you .

Thanks ,

God bless
Wyr
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-28-2011, 09:52 AM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Rosseau, Ontario Canada - Boonies between Parry Sound and Huntsville
Posts: 40
Paperpatched bullets

CD's are easier. Just email your mailing address to [email protected]. I mailed a CD to Longrangehunter last week.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-28-2011, 10:27 AM
unclenick's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Hilliard, Ohio
Posts: 10,901
Johnjay,

You might want to check out my security warning about posting e-mail addresses in forums rather than using the private messaging system. If you leave it there, your address will be available to spambot address harvesters crawling the web for as long as the thread exits.

Also note that with large files, you can upload them to a server like BigUpload and just provide a download link for the interested parties. It lets you do up to 2 gigabytes free. Saves time, postage, and coaster plastic.
__________________
Nick
__________________________
Orange Hat Family Member
CMP Certified GSM Master Instructor
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Benefactor Member
"First contemplation of the problems of Interior Ballistics gives the impression that they should yield rather easily to relatively simple methods of analysis. Further study shows the subject to be of almost unbelievable complexity." Homer Powley

Last edited by unclenick; 01-28-2011 at 10:33 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:28 AM.

< Contact Us - Shooters Forum - Archive >

 
 

All Content & Design Copyright © 1999-2002 Beartooth Bullets, All Rights Reserved
View Privacy Policy | Contact Webmaster | Legal Information
Website Design & Development By Exbabylon Internet Solutions
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2