» Advanced

Go Back   Shooters Forum > General > Hunting Stories > Game Pole
Register FAQ Members List Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-06-2009, 02:58 PM
tpv's Avatar
tpv tpv is offline
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: fort worth texas
Posts: 2,498
week-end pig fest


Registered Users do not see the above ad.


We're having some serious problems up at the old hunting camp and the hogs are taking over. Got a trapper coming in January but until then my week-end count was five hogs all at different loactions. These hogs were all part of big groups of hogs. Probably saw 100 all told. The one with the big cutters was a big boy that weighed about 275-300#. A real toad!
Used a 280 Rem on all of them at various ranges. Then Sunday morning ,cold and windy, I rattled in a big buck that I just couldn't get on. Shot three times at a running deer but knew it wasn't to be. The crosshairs were never on him.
At this point of the season, I'm getting pretty tired of opening gates,and freezing to death. Seeing lots of bucks but only this one Sunday morning was big enough to get me excited. I would guess at 160 Gross.
My old jeep finally gave up on me. 34 years is pretty good but I guess the warranty wore out, so here's my new buggy. Makes hunting a lot easier.
Good Luck to all-
Attached Thumbnails
week-end pig fest-big-pig1.jpg   week-end pig fest-pig2.jpg   week-end pig fest-pig3.jpg   week-end pig fest-buggie.jpg  
__________________
Throw another log on the fire
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-06-2009, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,898
Good shooting on the pigs tpv! Are you converting any to food?!! I'll offer my varmint control services!

That buggy looks good, although not very warm!
__________________
NRA Endowment Member
SCI Member
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-06-2009, 03:17 PM
tpv's Avatar
tpv tpv is offline
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: fort worth texas
Posts: 2,498
You are right, it was cold but it makes it easy to hunt out of and I'd rather have that than comfort. Great in nice weather.
Found that I can idle up to a ridge, park, and then just climb up top and hunt there. Works pretty good.
I've got a freezer full of mule deer and that's enough for me.
I know it sounds like the "ugly hunter" to just shoot them and let them lay, but I bet you understand.
__________________
Throw another log on the fire
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-06-2009, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpv View Post
I know it sounds like the "ugly hunter" to just shoot them and let them lay, but I bet you understand.
Yup, completely understand! They're just another varmint that needs to be controlled, and one that really needs some control. Just can't get the bacon, T'loin, pork chops, or roast out of my head.
__________________
NRA Endowment Member
SCI Member
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-06-2009, 04:06 PM
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Mesa, Arizona
Posts: 19,758
Sounds like fun, Tom. Too bad about the buck, but he'll still be around in January.

Wish I could join in the hog huntin'. Too many plans for this month, though.

Shawn - you'll notice the "high rack" on the ATV.
__________________
NRA Benefactor Member
NRA Certified Police Firearms Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NAHC Life Member

"Firearms only have two enemies - rust and politicans" author unknown
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-06-2009, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,898
That high rack looks like a good spot kdub, at least when parked. Don't think I'd want to be riding up there in such a light rig, unless the driver really had some heft to him, and the terrain wasn't too steep!

The pig hunting looks like it could be some fun.
__________________
NRA Endowment Member
SCI Member
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-06-2009, 05:27 PM
tpv's Avatar
tpv tpv is offline
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: fort worth texas
Posts: 2,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Crea View Post
That high rack looks like a good spot kdub, at least when parked. Don't think I'd want to be riding up there in such a light rig, unless the driver really had some heft to him, and the terrain wasn't too steep!

The pig hunting looks like it could be some fun.
I have HEFT. There were safety warning on cornering with the rack on it. But if you take your time, there shouldn't be any problem
I killed three of them riding around.
I'm going to take a long break from hunting. I'm tuckered out. Maybe Christmas week.
Shawn, you have any more hunts planned?
__________________
Throw another log on the fire
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-06-2009, 07:59 PM
MikeG's Avatar
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 27,170
Eileen says that you are in trouble for shooting all the pigs with pretty hides. She'll forgive you, if you skin out the next striped one

I'm going to go up next weekend, I think, and take over the pig shooting duties. Trying to get my dad to come down in Jan and help thin the herd......
__________________
MikeG

Quote:
Originally Posted by faucettb
Welcome to the forum. Rules are simple, be nice and join in.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-06-2009, 08:17 PM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,443
why cant i have these type of over populating problems...
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-07-2009, 01:43 AM
m141a's Avatar
Nawth East Moderatah
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Madison, NH.
Posts: 5,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Crea View Post
Yup, completely understand! They're just another varmint that needs to be controlled, and one that really needs some control. Just can't get the bacon, T'loin, pork chops, or roast out of my head.
Amen bro.....

I can smell it on the grille as we type!
__________________
Chris in NH.

"some days, I wish my dogs could talk"
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-07-2009, 07:19 AM
MikeG's Avatar
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 27,170
We'll save a gut pile for ya, Chris!!!!!
__________________
MikeG

Quote:
Originally Posted by faucettb
Welcome to the forum. Rules are simple, be nice and join in.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-07-2009, 10:49 AM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Texas
Posts: 158
We haven't seen any deer yet but we have had plenty of hogs. We tried to eat one big ol boar but it had that boar taste to it so let the coyotes have the rest. We did have some excitement on our last hunt. My 12 yr old wanted to try to take one with my .44 mag Win 94 carbine. We had been watching WWII in HD and my boys saw how the GI's would be in their foxholes at night waiting for the sun to go down and the Japaneese to come in and how scary that must have been. I asked them if they would like to see what that was like so we got out of the stand and moved into a brush pile near a fenceline where they usually came out right before dark. Sure enough, just before dark, we heard them coming and about 12 porkers crossed the fence and into the trail. I think he was aiming for the head and shot high on the first one and there were hogs running and squelling everywhere. I told him to shoot again and kept hearing "click" but no shot. After things settled down, I asked him why he didn't shoot again and found out in his excitement, he kept pulling the hammer back but never worked the lever. One son who didnt' have a gun had already found a climbing tree and was halfway up it. They both got a good appreciation about what are veterans in WWII went through and saw how fast everything goes out the door when you are under stress. No breakfast sausage but a good lesson learned.
__________________
John 3:16 for me
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-07-2009, 11:24 AM
tpv's Avatar
tpv tpv is offline
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: fort worth texas
Posts: 2,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolpete View Post
We haven't seen any deer yet but we have had plenty of hogs. We tried to eat one big ol boar but it had that boar taste to it so let the coyotes have the rest. We did have some excitement on our last hunt. My 12 yr old wanted to try to take one with my .44 mag Win 94 carbine. We had been watching WWII in HD and my boys saw how the GI's would be in their foxholes at night waiting for the sun to go down and the Japaneese to come in and how scary that must have been. I asked them if they would like to see what that was like so we got out of the stand and moved into a brush pile near a fenceline where they usually came out right before dark. Sure enough, just before dark, we heard them coming and about 12 porkers crossed the fence and into the trail. I think he was aiming for the head and shot high on the first one and there were hogs running and squelling everywhere. I told him to shoot again and kept hearing "click" but no shot. After things settled down, I asked him why he didn't shoot again and found out in his excitement, he kept pulling the hammer back but never worked the lever. One son who didnt' have a gun had already found a climbing tree and was halfway up it. They both got a good appreciation about what are veterans in WWII went through and saw how fast everything goes out the door when you are under stress. No breakfast sausage but a good lesson learned.
I'll say. Lessons learned. That pig squeal, always gives me goosebumps. I don't like being on the ground with them. Sometimes, I think they are plotting against me. Setting up a revenge plot!
This one drank himself to death
Attached Thumbnails
week-end pig fest-img00087-20091204-1414.jpg  
__________________
Throw another log on the fire

Last edited by tpv; 12-07-2009 at 11:37 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-07-2009, 11:41 AM
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Mesa, Arizona
Posts: 19,758
Hey - ! I recognize the hat!
__________________
NRA Benefactor Member
NRA Certified Police Firearms Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NAHC Life Member

"Firearms only have two enemies - rust and politicans" author unknown
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-07-2009, 11:57 AM
m141a's Avatar
Nawth East Moderatah
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Madison, NH.
Posts: 5,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
We'll save a gut pile for ya, Chris!!!!!

I could always make soup!
__________________
Chris in NH.

"some days, I wish my dogs could talk"
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-07-2009, 01:23 PM
tpv's Avatar
tpv tpv is offline
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: fort worth texas
Posts: 2,498
Yea, that hat has been around.
m141, soup huh? I don't know, jerky maybe.
I'll save the soup for the turkeys.
Got some duck hunters coming out this week-end. Duck soup would be okay.
__________________
Throw another log on the fire
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-07-2009, 02:34 PM
m141a's Avatar
Nawth East Moderatah
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Madison, NH.
Posts: 5,401
Guess I'll pass then.....LOL
__________________
Chris in NH.

"some days, I wish my dogs could talk"
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-07-2009, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpv View Post
I'm going to take a long break from hunting. I'm tuckered out. Maybe Christmas week.
Shawn, you have any more hunts planned?
Sounds like you foundered on hunting tpv! That's too bad...I think...never had that feeling myself.

Definately some chukar hunting coming up, and some ducks & geese, if we can find any. Two wolves left on the quota for the unit I live in, but don't know if I'll go out after them. I'm going to try to take that Namibian hunt in April sometime.

Have a good rest tpv!
__________________
NRA Endowment Member
SCI Member
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-28-2009, 12:25 PM
tpv's Avatar
tpv tpv is offline
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: fort worth texas
Posts: 2,498
pig update


Been hearing a lot of shooting at night over the last couple of weeks about 1-2 miles away. That gets everyones attention. Everyone assumes poachers. Turns out the ranch to the south of us has some oat fields that look like green carpets and the hogs love it. So they were given the go ahead to unload on them at night. They've killed 68, so they say, and the state is involved so I guess they did.
My stands are not far from those fields which is probably why I've had so much hog activity. Anyway, seems like everyone in the area is getting after them.
The hunt continues!!
__________________
Throw another log on the fire
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-28-2009, 07:22 PM
MikeG's Avatar
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 27,170
Ask them if they lost a black and tan boar, that smelled bad
Attached Thumbnails
week-end pig fest-stinkysmall.jpg  
__________________
MikeG

Quote:
Originally Posted by faucettb
Welcome to the forum. Rules are simple, be nice and join in.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Endangered Pig rifleman7777 Humor 1 06-06-2006 01:43 AM
a week of bowhunting pistolpete Hunting Stories 4 10-26-2004 06:57 AM
Decided on Browning Abolt, will buy at end of week MossyOak88 Rifles and Rifle Cartridges 9 05-20-2004 07:02 AM
Pig Justice Land Owner Humor 0 10-04-2001 12:55 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:04 PM.

< Contact Us - Shooters Forum - Archive >

 
 

All Content & Design Copyright © 1999-2002 Beartooth Bullets, All Rights Reserved
View Privacy Policy | Contact Webmaster | Legal Information
Website Design & Development By Exbabylon Internet Solutions
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2