» Advanced

Go Back   Shooters Forum > Leverguns > Marlin 1894 Lever Guns
Register FAQ Members List Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-26-2006, 05:43 PM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,071
Ghost Ring Sights


Registered Users do not see the above ad.


Just curious about Ghost ring sights. Anyone use them and if so are they better than the regular iron sights? What distances are they good for? Any limits?? I am planning on putting them on my 1894 44 mag..

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Gismo
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-27-2006, 02:29 AM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: bainbridge, ga
Posts: 1,974
The ghost ring sights work really well once you learn how to use them. For my 1894 Cowboy I put a full buckhorn rear sight on it by Marbles. If you use the buckhorn like a ghost ring, you can shoot almost as well and it looks original. I was able to shoot 3 inch groups at 100 using this method.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-27-2006, 05:16 AM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: S.C.
Posts: 4,158
My old eyes have not allowed me to use my ashley Ghost ring sights effectively. The ghost ring set up with the scout mount scope is the best in going back and forth but the good LER scopes are not in my budget at the moment. I have settled on the Banner Bushnell in regular mounts for my Marlin 1894 44 mag. I hunt thick woods for deer with it and the set up is deadly for me. The rig is a joy to carry and is probably the lightest, scoped, 100yd deer rig available at the moment. I am pretty sure it is even lighter than my scoped H&R ultra .308 rig but the Handy Rifle rigs may beat out the marlin. I like having the repeating option available in hog and dog country.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-27-2006, 06:49 AM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Jefferson Parish (via N.O.)
Posts: 9,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gismo
Just curious about Ghost ring sights. Anyone use them and if so are they better than the regular iron sights? What distances are they good for? Any limits?? I am planning on putting them on my 1894 44 mag..

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Gismo

Good for speed and dimmer lighting...things you'd want in hunting situations. Can do good work with them at the range once you get use to them.

I've not been a convert...will usually use a lyman or Williams apatrue rear, and just un-screw the apature when i want the ghost ring effect.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-27-2006, 08:56 AM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: OH
Posts: 360
On my 1894C I dumped the factory sights for a ghost ring and a Williams fire front sight. For me, that was a prize move. Mine was sighted-in outdoors at 50 yards. I don't have a problem seeing well at the indoor range either.
__________________
It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protestor to burn the flag.

Father Denis Edward O'Brien USMC
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-27-2006, 10:22 AM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,071
OK, I'm getting a little help. Let me throw in more info. I wear glasses. I am far sighted. If I wear the glasses I see the iron sights well, but target is blurry and if the glasses are off, its the other way around. I was just hoping for an iron sight that I can use without my glasses. If not, then I can slap a scope on it. Just would rather use iron sights. I also do not want to cover up too much using a peep sight. Will the peep cover too much for hunting situations?

I really appreciate all the help so far guys.

Steve
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-27-2006, 10:36 AM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Denver Co
Posts: 525
If you wnat to see if they work for you check out www.oneraggedhole.com . These are much cheaper than the AOs. I just order one for my 336 35 rem... Figured it would allow me to use a easily removable scope.

I have the Ashely set up on a 45-70 1985CB. Haven't shot it much, but decided to get the optional rear site that allows (wiliams?) apatures to be screwed in... Figure I can find a good size for most shooting and if the light gets to dim, I cna remove the appature...

Good luck to ya
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-27-2006, 12:32 PM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Jefferson Parish (via N.O.)
Posts: 9,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gismo
OK, I'm getting a little help. Let me throw in more info. I wear glasses. I am far sighted. If I wear the glasses I see the iron sights well, but target is blurry and if the glasses are off, its the other way around. I was just hoping for an iron sight that I can use without my glasses. If not, then I can slap a scope on it. Just would rather use iron sights. I also do not want to cover up too much using a peep sight. Will the peep cover too much for hunting situations?

I really appreciate all the help so far guys.

Steve

One of the neat things about apature sights, at least those with small sized apatures, is that they act a bit like the F-stop on a camera.

With no gun at all, try poking a tiny hole in a sheet of card stock (doesn't have to be fancy...must have a bussiness card around). Hold it close to your eye and look through the hole without your glasses.

Unfrortunately, it works bst with small holes...and the ghost rignt idea uses large holes.

have sued the Merit disc that sticks to your glasses by way of a suction cup for handgun shooting...it works with open rifle sights as well. Have evee used a bit of black tape with a pin hole punched in it...but neither of those are really worth a hoot for hunting. In good bright light, will work...butin dim light, the pin hole just doesn't let in enough light.

Last edited by ribbonstone; 01-27-2006 at 12:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-27-2006, 02:21 PM
KenK's Avatar
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Georgia
Posts: 2,289
I have the XS ghost ring on my 1894 and like it very well. I would like to get the aperture that is threaded for the williams apertures for accuracy testing.

I have "old" eyes too and while the ghost ring seems easier to use, I can't tell any measurable difference in group size.

I still haven't installed the XS front sight, my groups tend to scatter more on elevation than windage, so I hope the square top post will help that some.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-27-2006, 02:28 PM
KenK's Avatar
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Georgia
Posts: 2,289
By the way, I have tried glasses on and glasses off. I find I get better groups without glasses, the sights are much clearer but the target is basically a blur. I do just about as well aiming at the center of a 8 x 11 sheet of paper as I do having a bull to aim at.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-27-2006, 03:36 PM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: central Iowa
Posts: 366
Welcome to the tired eyes club. I wear tri focals, so I had a pair made with the midrange on top and a bifocal on the bottom for close vision. With a aperture rear sight I focus on the front sight and hold on center mass for the blurry target. Works great for pistols also.
Jim
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-27-2006, 03:42 PM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntjaxn
If you wnat to see if they work for you check out www.oneraggedhole.com . These are much cheaper than the AOs. I just order one for my 336 35 rem... Figured it would allow me to use a easily removable scope.

I have the Ashely set up on a 45-70 1985CB. Haven't shot it much, but decided to get the optional rear site that allows (wiliams?) apatures to be screwed in... Figure I can find a good size for most shooting and if the light gets to dim, I cna remove the appature...

Good luck to ya

With this rear sight, can I still use the existing front sight, or will it be too short? From the looks of the pics on that web site, the whole seems a little higher. Just curious. I think that Hole in One will be better than a peep or ghost ring for me. Not too much metal there to cover your target.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-29-2006, 12:28 PM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tallahassee, FL.
Posts: 35
All aperture sights take advantage of a physiological 'reflex' wherin your body will automaticaly center any object viewed through an aperture you control (your rifle or handgun); If the aperture is fixed (say a hole in a board wall) you will unconsciously move your head to achieve alignment. This alignment can and does differs slightly between individuals (not everyones 'center' is percieved in the same place) but for the individual, your brain will determine and consistantly use the same 'center' with a high degree of precision.

Where most people have trouble is in attemping to manualy or intentionaly 'center' the front sight, because It is also true that if you conciously attemp to 'center' an object (the front sight) within the aperture you will fail as the eye cannot focus on two things at once, and you will find you are shooting a pattern rather than a group.

When properly used an aperture sight will allow sight alignment with a higher degree of precision and repeatability than is possible with a notch and post sight, and a forward mounted aperture of sufficient size if properly used (Both eyes open) will increace accuracy, and will significanty reduce the time necessary for your eyes to acquire a usable sight picture.

The key to using an aperture sight, is to simply ignore it and allow your body and mind to center the front sight without any help or effort.

Regarding The ORH sight, the aperture center is the same hight as the top of the factory rear sight notch and is designed to use the factory front sight. It looks taller because it is slightly as half the aperture is above the top of where the notch would be.
__________________
Buck


http://www.oneraggedhole.com
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-29-2006, 12:36 PM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckORH
All aperture sights take advantage of a physiological 'reflex' wherin your body will automaticaly center any object viewed through an aperture you control (your rifle or handgun); If the aperture is fixed (say a hole in a board wall) you will unconsciously move your head to achieve alignment. This alignment can and does differs slightly between individuals (not everyones 'center' is percieved in the same place) but for the individual, your brain will determine and consistantly use the same 'center' with a high degree of precision.

Where most people have trouble is in attemping to manualy or intentionaly 'center' the front sight, because It is also true that if you conciously attemp to 'center' an object (the front sight) within the aperture you will fail as the eye cannot focus on two things at once, and you will find you are shooting a pattern rather than a group.

When properly used an aperture sight will allow sight alignment with a higher degree of precision and repeatability than is possible with a notch and post sight, and a forward mounted aperture of sufficient size if properly used (Both eyes open) will increace accuracy, and will significanty reduce the time necessary for your eyes to acquire a usable sight picture.

The key to using an aperture sight, is to simply ignore it and allow your body and mind to center the front sight without any help or effort.

Regarding The ORH sight, the aperture center is the same hight as the top of the factory rear sight notch and is designed to use the factory front sight. It looks taller because it is slightly as half the aperture is above the top of where the notch would be.
Thanks Buck. Just the info I was looking for. Will be purchasing one of your sights real soon. Does it work just as good on the Rugers SA with adj. sughts??

Steve
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-30-2006, 07:59 AM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tallahassee, FL.
Posts: 35
Glad I could help Steve, thank you.

Yes, the Ruger SA sight functions in the same manner as the forward mounted aperture does on a rifle. Focus on the front sight/ignore the rear and all is well. I generaly recomend that the front sight be highlighted in some manner (paint, bead, fiber optic etc.) as this aids in drawing the point of focus forward and through the aperture. The faster your eye can pick up the front sight, the faster you can get on target. Highlighting the front sight also helps in un-learning to conciously index the rear sight.
__________________
Buck


http://www.oneraggedhole.com
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-07-2006, 08:57 PM
eljay's Avatar
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenK
I have the XS ghost ring on my 1894 and like it very well. I would like to get the aperture that is threaded for the williams apertures for accuracy testing.

I have "old" eyes too and while the ghost ring seems easier to use, I can't tell any measurable difference in group size.

I still haven't installed the XS front sight, my groups tend to scatter more on elevation than windage, so I hope the square top post will help that some.
I have just installed an XS Ghost Ring Hunting Sight set on my Winchester 94 .44 Mag. First of all put that front sight on! It is absolutely great! Looks like a white line, put the top of the white line where you want to hit, and shoot. Does work great.

Now, if you want to go to a small aperture for accuracy testing, it's a piece of cake. Depending on which of the XS ghost rings you installed, go to an auto supply store and buy a foot (the least they sell, I think) of auto sytem vacuum tubing that has an outside diameter slightly larger than the opening in your ghost ring. Cut off a section about the lengh of the width of your ghost ring. clean it up, clean out the hole, oil lightly, and slip it into the ghost ring. Presto, you've converted the ghost ring into an aperture sight. Vacuum tubing is very thick walled, so the inside diameter of the tubing that slips snugly into your ghost ring will be as small as the standard Williams screw-in aperture.

eljay
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-08-2006, 12:48 AM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: S.C.
Posts: 4,158
You da Man, elJay. I was just wondering about how to do that yesterday. vacuum tubing sounds like the ticket.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-08-2006, 03:39 AM
KenK's Avatar
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Georgia
Posts: 2,289
That's a good idea Ejay. I wish I had thought of it. I ordered the threaded aperture and a Williams aperture Monday. $27


As everybody has said, if you try to "fine up" your sight alignment with the ghost ring accuracy will suffer. For me it is easier said than done, almost like scratching an itch.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-08-2006, 07:46 PM
eljay's Avatar
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief RID
You da Man, elJay. I was just wondering about how to do that yesterday. vacuum tubing sounds like the ticket.
I did it because I'm new to this whole aperture sight (ghost ring) situation, and am trying to work it out. Last time I used an aperture sight was when I was in the ROTC on the rifle team, and that's what we used, for target work only.

I will say that, what I found when I used the vacuum tubing was that it didn't improve my groups shooting at a target at all, and it restricted my vision.

So far, my ghost ring experience has been that, if trying to group on a paper target, I do not do well. BUT. I've shot at antifreeze jugs full of water and clay pidgeons placed on my berm, both offhand and with my left hand just resting on a sandbag, and wow! I've not had a moving target to shoot at but, from what I've experienced, I believe that would work very, very well. And I'm still learning to do what everyone tells me to do that is, "just look through the ghost ring, put the top of that white stripe where you want the bullet to impack, and shoot. And so, I'm encouraged right now.

eljay
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Old Eyes And The Ghost Ring Setup VTDW Big-Bore Lever Guns 8 10-24-2006 12:30 PM
XS Ghost Ring Sights on pre-AE 94? Mossyrock Winchester 94 Lever Guns 0 10-26-2005 08:37 AM
Are Ghost Ring Sights Avail For SW 629? calhunter Handguns 1 09-17-2004 03:29 PM
Ghost Ring Sights bitterroot_montana Leverguns and Their Cartridges (General) 6 01-13-2004 12:51 AM
Ghost Ring Sights Road Dog Leverguns and Their Cartridges (General) 4 08-21-2001 09:23 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:50 AM.

< Contact Us - Shooters Forum - Archive >

 
 

All Content & Design Copyright © 1999-2002 Beartooth Bullets, All Rights Reserved
View Privacy Policy | Contact Webmaster | Legal Information
Website Design & Development By Exbabylon Internet Solutions
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2