» Advanced

Go Back   Shooters Forum > Leverguns > Model 92's Winchester/Browning/Rossi/Navy Arms/LSI/Uberti
Register FAQ Members List Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-19-2005, 05:36 AM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 79
Accuracy of Browning B92 1892 carbines?


Registered Users do not see the above ad.


I'm wondering if owners of Browning B92 carbines could share their views on the accuracy of these carbines? I don't own one at this time, but am interested. My results with various Marlin and Winchester lever rifles has been mixed, ranging from a Marlin 1895 that is extremely accurate to an old 336 that strings shots out horribly.

Also, I'm wondering if B92 owners generally feel they get better results from hard cast or jacketed bullets? I've read Marshall's comments about the need for adequate driving bands on cast bullets in these guns, which makes a lot of sense.

I am assuming that all of the B92 barrelss were 1/38 twist? Many thanks for all info and views.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-01-2006, 02:33 PM
Magnum.44's Avatar
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Chico, California
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNewell
I'm wondering if owners of Browning B92 carbines could share their views on the accuracy of these carbines? I don't own one at this time, but am interested. My results with various Marlin and Winchester lever rifles has been mixed, ranging from a Marlin 1895 that is extremely accurate to an old 336 that strings shots out horribly.

Also, I'm wondering if B92 owners generally feel they get better results from hard cast or jacketed bullets? I've read Marshall's comments about the need for adequate driving bands on cast bullets in these guns, which makes a lot of sense.

I am assuming that all of the B92 barrelss were 1/38 twist? Many thanks for all info and views.

My expierience has been that the B-92 is as accurate as the ammo fired in it. I found that the factory ammo (Remington, Winchester/Western, CCI) work very well. Gun show reloads can be all over the place. My own reloads equal to factory with my own preference being a 190 gr. JHP.

Magnum .44
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-02-2006, 05:27 AM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 119
I'm not clear if you ahve the 357 or 44 Mag. The 357 should be a good shooter with just about anything. Mine always were. The 44 on the other hand, can be a little trickier. It should shoot jacketed bullets quite well.

The cast bullets have to be sized to the bore plus .002. That means if the bore is 439, it should use 430-431 cast bullets. If this is not working out, I might recommend taking the velocity down and work from there. That is the area where cast starts to tumble, if it is going to.

A good test with cast, is to load 5 of each - 7,8,9,10 grains of unique or W231 behind a 240 grain bullet. See what each does. The gun will tell you what it likes. I have also noticed that the semi-wadcutters of revolver fame, are not always the best for levers. A more rounded nose seems to feed better. Either way, you will be surprised at the difference between the loads for accuracy.
Regards
Bestboss
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-02-2006, 08:23 AM
Red Pepper's Avatar
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 921
I've been loading my .44 Mag rounds with 240 gr. hard cast semi-wadcutters. They shoot well, but feeding has been a problem in my Browning 92.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-19-2006, 03:46 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Maryland " western"
Posts: 6
Exclamation feeding problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Pepper
I've been loading my .44 Mag rounds with 240 gr. hard cast semi-wadcutters. They shoot well, but feeding has been a problem in my Browning 92.
Hi! Red Pepper, I know you probly allready heard this but the m92 both old and new were set up to use a very narrow lenth varreation all loads should be close to factory . if you look at the open action you will see that the cutouts in feed rails are the limiting factor, the case should just start to enter chamber as the rim pops out of the cutout in the feed rails , if the overall lenth is to short the round will jam the action.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-17-2006, 04:18 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: va
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum.44
My expierience has been that the B-92 is as accurate as the ammo fired in it. I found that the factory ammo (Remington, Winchester/Western, CCI) work very well. Gun show reloads can be all over the place. My own reloads equal to factory with my own preference being a 190 gr. JHP.

Magnum .44
Mine is very accurate.
Today I used some max 180 grain reloads from 1989 at a 6" bull and placed them all within about 2". My eyesight isn't good so I expect it might shoot better.
The sight elevator is too high for this load. It was removed and about an .040 shim was placed under the rear sight.
Before I cut the elevator down, more testing with different loads will be done.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-10-2008, 04:18 PM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New York State
Posts: 203
My 44mag B92 loved American Eagle SJSP ammo. 2" at 50 yds groups with open sights. My 357 mag isnt quite as accurate using factory ammo and Im trying to reload a better ammo for it. So far I have one good combo using 2400 at 12gr using a 158gr SJHP Rem bullet. This is giving just under an inch at 25 yds open sights.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Marlin Model 1892 --- experiences in reloading Gatofeo Marlin Model 39's 20 12-09-2005 04:25 AM
Browning B92 lever action .44 mag Peter Hawke Gunsmithing 1 02-27-2005 07:45 AM
Accuracy - rank the gun mods and reloading steps that result in improved accuracy flashhole Handloading Equipment 13 02-04-2005 03:38 PM
Browning B92 44 magnum Peter Hawke Model 92's Winchester/Browning/Rossi/Navy Arms/LSI/Uberti 4 04-13-2004 01:54 PM
Browning 1892 .44Mag whizzum300 Leverguns and Their Cartridges (General) 5 02-08-2004 10:29 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:33 AM.

< Contact Us - Shooters Forum - Archive >

 
 

All Content & Design Copyright © 1999-2002 Beartooth Bullets, All Rights Reserved
View Privacy Policy | Contact Webmaster | Legal Information
Website Design & Development By Exbabylon Internet Solutions
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2