Shooters Forum banner

Need advice: Browning A-Bolt or Weatherby Mark V

27K views 34 replies 24 participants last post by  MikeG 
#1 ·
Hey everybody,

I'm in the market for a new long range hunting rifle chambered in .300 Win Mag. The two I'm torn between are the 25th Anniversary Browning A-Bolt stainless or the Weatherby Mark V Accumark. Does anyone have any experience with these 2 rifles? Need any advice on accuracy, quality, etc.

Thanks in advance,
Ace

#2 ·
Hello Ace, and welcome.

I don't have the 25th anniversary A-Bolt, but have an A-Bolt stainless stalker in 338 Win Mag that's approaching 20 yrs old. A good rifle that has served me well for deer, elk, and caribou hunting; mostly elk.

I can't throw any dirt on the Weatherby, or the Browning. Fit/feel should be your primary factor, then price. Good luck.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. It's a tough decision for me.
Basically I'm looking for a 26" barrel rifle with the best quality and accuracy I can get for under $1,600.
This is a completely new ballgame for me. I've been whitetail hunting in VA all my life where all I've used is a Ruger M77 .308 or a slug gun (depending on county laws) and longest shots have been 200 yards. I'd like to eventually head west and do some elk and Mulie hunting so I'm trying to get my ducks in a row.

Thanks,
Ace

#4 ·
I have no personal experience with the Weatherby, but my A-Bolt II is the most accurate rifle I've owned, and it was actually a bargain price when I bought it. Some don't like the looks or feel of the Browning, but I know if I had a budget of $1600, I;d get a Browing and spend whatever's left on the best scope I could.

#5 ·
I haven't own an accumark but I also have a Browning A-bolt stainless stalker in 25-06. It's not the most accurate rifle I own but it's right up there. To me it is the perfect fit and inspires confidence just holding it. Don't think you could go to far wrong with either choice. Handle them both and go for the one you like.

#6 ·
Thanks for the replies fellas. the Weatherby is $750 more than the A-Bolt, so I was leaning toward the A-bolt. Just wanted to see if the higher pricetag for the Weatherby is justified. I'll go try to find one in a shop so I can see how the feel in hand.

Thanks again,
Ace

#10 ·
i wouldn't worry about the 2" of barrel length, it seems to me that 24" was the intent of the winchester engineers when they designed the cartridge.
i have a ruger ss/syn 300 win mag that i have shot over the chrono and i can assure you you are not giving anything up... and i'd add the ruger to your list of rifles to look at as well, mine has been very accurate with just about everything i've fed it.

#11 ·
I have never owned a weatherby, but the Abolt is very accurate. I also like the short bolt throw for quick follow up shots if need be. There would be little (almost unnoticeable) difference in the 24" to the 26" barrel. Also as others have said, try them out for yourself. Fit and feel are very important. Then perhaps look at the details of the rifles, factory trigger pull (which you will probably want to adjust anyway), degree of bolt lift, magazine access (hinged floor plate, top loading, detachable box, ect.). Rate of twist may be something else you want to pay attention to. Good luck and buy the one you like.

#12 ·
Thanks again guys. Your posts have been very helpful. I just looked into the X-Bolt series and found the stainless stalker carbon fiber. That is one sexy rifle! I've decided to go with the Browning. I haven't seen any weatherby's in shops so I've only handled the A-bolts and X-bolts and I like the look and feel. It seems everyone aboard is happy with their Brownings as well.
Now...I just have to narrow it down to the 25th anniversary stainless A-Bolt, stainless hunter x-bolt or the stainless stalker carbon fiber. I'm leaning toward the carbon fiber since it has the stainless fluted barrel and is under 7 lbs. It looks like it's a new rifle so it will probably be a while before I'll be able to find one. Couldn't even locate one on gunbroker.

Thanks again,
Ace

#13 ·
Ace,
Let another Virginia boy chime in for Browning.
I find that my go to gun is a Browning A-bolt in .270 for just about everything short of big bear or groundhogs.
Exceedingly accurate, easy to carry, quick to chamber another round if needed, reasonably priced and besides that it looks good too!

Weatherby is good but you asked for opinions and here is mine-Browning.

Gary

#14 ·
#15 ·
I dont have experence with either but from what I have heard, both are fine firearms. So the question is which to purchase. Well the Browning is made in Japan, the Weatherby in the USA. Lets see, humm, keep an American employed and be part of the economic solution or keep a forgnier employed and be part of the econocic problem. Sounds like a no brainer to me.

#17 · (Edited)
the vanguard is made by howa machine in japan.

in my opinion the weatherby is not worth the difference in money... regardless of who makes it!

i think that you will be very happy with your a bolt, i had one in the mid 90's and found it to be incredibly accurate and very well made. that carbon fiber model is intriuging... my 77 MK II 300WM doesn't weigh much over 7lbs scoped and i don't mind it from the bench at all. i did however put a limbsaver pad on it which helped a bunch for those t-shirt days at the range...

#19 ·
A-Bolt or Mark V

I have experience with both. I can assure you that the Weatherby is a far superior rifle to the Browning A-Bolt. I'd rather have the Weatherby Vanguard than any A-Bolt. The Browning is pretty, and they shoot fairly well.

But as a quality rifle, the Weatherby is superior. My Mark V is an outstanding rifle. I've shot several Vanguards that I was truly impressed with. I should just get rid of my Browning A-Bolt (.338 Win Mag) as I find the trigger and bolt assembly to be poorly constructed and I understand the receivers are so soft that many gunsmiths are opposed to rebarrelling them for fear of galling the threads. It is accurate and I do like the short bolt throw, but you get that with the Weatherby. After three years of moderate to limited use, the A-Bolt does not rate highly in my opinion. Were it not for some sentimental value (I shot a nice caribou with it), I'd have gotten rid of it by now. I have two other .338's so I don't need this one.

Go with the Weatherby!

#20 ·
I will second the Weatherby - I shoot a Vanguard in .300 Weatherby and my oldest son shoots an UltraLight Mk V in .300 Weatherby - both group 180 AccuBond loads into .75 inch 3-shot groups. Of the Browning A-Bolts I've had experience with ( admittedly only a very few ) only a .308 would reliably shoot moa groups.
The old FN mauser-based Brownings are, in my opinion, superb rifles - but they are now kind of hard to find.

#23 ·
Never shot a Browning center-fire, but have their excellent BL22 and several Browning shotguns. I have 3 of the excellent Wby Mk5 Accumarks (.257 Wby, .270 Win (Ultralight) and .340 Wby). I don't understand why you would want a Wby in .300 Win (not really much better than the old .30-06) when the .300 Wby is better. But then the newer .300 Rem Ultramag is even better, but not available in these rifles.

#24 ·
how is the 300wby any better than the 300 winchester? i bet the margin of difference between the winchester and weatherby rounds is less than the difference between the '06 and 300 winchester...
i suppose with the extra case length and freebore the weatherby is better with 200gr bullets but other than that i don't see much difference between the two...

#25 ·
I agree with big dan, those who keep saying the .300wm is no better then the .30-06 need to re-read their info or have never shot both. The only way you can evenly compare the two is when you reload the .30-06 with hotter loads and compare that to the factory .300wm loads. The .30-06 is a great hunting cartridge, but the numbers don't lie and people need to face the facts.

#26 ·
Never shot a weatherby that didnt produce sub moa. I have an accumark in 270 roy that I wouldnt even think of selling. That has grouped any ammo I have fed it. Brownings seem to be hit or miss. you could put an order into cooper for a classic as they are starting production on mag calibers including 300 win mag, otherwise stick with weatherby. M.o.

#27 ·
There is a huge difference between the 300 win mag and a 30-06 ballistically. I own two Browning A bolt rifles one a 223 and the other a 25-06 . They both are excellent rifles and shoot 1 moa with my reloads.

The only rifle I have ever had a problem with is a Remington 700 in 35 Whelen that I bought two years ago and it had a bad trigger that would go off with the safety on. I replaced the trigger with a Timmey trigger and now it's an excellent and safe rifle.

The Weatherby vanguard is basically a Howa action with a higher luster blue in a Weatherby stock. That said the Howa action was also in the S&W Model 1500 rifles and I bought my son one in 270 and it's an excellent rifle.

#28 ·
Gosh...lots of love for the Browning...and another vote from me for it too

I have an A-bolt in 270Win. over 20 years old, and still getting MOA at 100 yards...not to mention the countless lives of deer it has taken...

If I had that Money, I would go with another Browning, whether it be the x or the a bolt...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.