The web's most comprehensive user-interactive handloading database! Find the loading data created by handloaders, for handloaders, post your pet loads, or access and develop your own online loading database with our LoadNotes personal handloading database software. This feature, unique in its concept and intuitive in it's data presentation is fast to access, superbly organized and comprehensive in scope.Our online forums for questions and answers on many shooting and outdoor related topics. A dynamic, active, and well-informed resource for your enjoyment and interaction. Our most used resource on this website! Come share the experience with us!
» Advanced

Go Back   Shooters Forum > Rifle and Rifle Cartridges > Rifles and Rifle Cartridges
Register FAQ Members List Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-03-2006, 08:02 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: minnesota
Posts: 8
Angry 270 wby mag triple shock load data needed


Registered Users do not see the above ad.


just picked up my first weatherby,270mag ultra lightweigt, done some reloading from barnes book,tring to reload triple shock bullets 130 grain not happy with speed,best i coud get so far 3252,73grain,r-19 ,shot some wby factory 130 spire point,3518 was the high, 3479 was low(5) shots. does any body load this bullet and cal. or have data,thank you

Last edited by one shot; 01-03-2006 at 08:23 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-03-2006, 08:55 PM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Alaska
Posts: 5,229
I haven't been able to reload a Weatherby cartridge with the same bullet Weatherby uses and get their velocities. Suppose I should pull a bullet of factory fodder and see if I can find a comparable powder and see what the charge is.

I don't know how they do it.

I had a 270 Wby Mag many years ago, well before I had a chronograph or knew much of anything about reloading. I was at the top of the manuals levels, though, and it was a screamer. I don't have my load notes anymore, and wouldn't trust them if I did.

http://www.reloadersnest.com/frontpage.asp?CaliberID=41 has a few loads, scroll down the page to view them based on bullet weight.

Also, http://www.accuratereloading.com/270wby.html
__________________
Wild Sheep Federation - Life Member
OVIS/Grand Slam Club - Life Member
Safari Club International - Life Member
National Rifle Association - Life Member

Last edited by alyeska338; 01-03-2006 at 09:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-04-2006, 12:14 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: minnesota
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by alyeska338
I haven't been able to reload a Weatherby cartridge with the same bullet Weatherby uses and get their velocities. Suppose I should pull a bullet of factory fodder and see if I can find a comparable powder and see what the charge is.

I don't know how they do it.

I had a 270 Wby Mag many years ago, well before I had a chronograph or knew much of anything about reloading. I was at the top of the manuals levels, though, and it was a screamer. I don't have my load notes anymore, and wouldn't trust them if I did.

http://www.reloadersnest.com/frontpage.asp?CaliberID=41 has a few loads, scroll down the page to view them based on bullet weight.

Also, http://www.accuratereloading.com/270wby.html
Ifound out that weatherby uses its own blended powders not available to public to get there speeds this is also there reason for free bore to keep presures down and get more speeds ,keep the bullet from lands to keep presure down.I would be happy to get my speeds 3400 fps to 3450 fps i dont like loading, with out good load data so i will keep looking and testing, all said above is to the beat of my knowledge.
thank you very much for your help
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-04-2006, 01:23 PM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 2,874
There used to be some data on the IMR website claiming 3500fps with a 130gr bullet, but it has been removed. I shoot the .270 Wthby from a 24" M70 and it does not show any pressure signs with factory ammo, although I lose about 100fps compared to two 26" barrel MkV's I've chronographed. IMR 7828 is a good powder for the round. I'm pretty sure that the factory ammo used to use Norma MRP powder. Reloader 22 is also a good powder for getting maximum velocity out of the .270 & .340 that I've used it in, but the velocity seems to fall off with the temperature in a substantial way.

I have not seen any Norma powder anywhere for a long time, MRP or otherwise. I talked to Black Hills and they said they intend to have it in stock by February but where not making any promises.

VV lists data for it's powders in the .270 Roy with a 25.5" barrel that would not better a .270 Win.

Norma lists no data on it's website, but I've been meaning to purchase their loading manual as it seems that it's regularly on sale at Midway.

I have most all the current domestic loading manuals. If you have a certain bullet or powder in mind you can email me and I'll see what I can find for you.

What part of MN are you from? I spent my first 25 years there.

Last edited by kciH; 01-04-2006 at 01:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-04-2006, 07:38 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: minnesota
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kciH
There used to be some data on the IMR website claiming 3500fps with a 130gr bullet, but it has been removed. I shoot the .270 Wthby from a 24" M70 and it does not show any pressure signs with factory ammo, although I lose about 100fps compared to two 26" barrel MkV's I've chronographed. IMR 7828 is a good powder for the round. I'm pretty sure that the factory ammo used to use Norma MRP powder. Reloader 22 is also a good powder for getting maximum velocity out of the .270 & .340 that I've used it in, but the velocity seems to fall off with the temperature in a substantial way.

I have not seen any Norma powder anywhere for a long time, MRP or otherwise. I talked to Black Hills and they said they intend to have it in stock by February but where not making any promises.

VV lists data for it's powders in the .270 Roy with a 25.5" barrel that would not better a .270 Win.

Norma lists no data on it's website, but I've been meaning to purchase their loading manual as it seems that it's regularly on sale at Midway.

I have most all the current domestic loading manuals. If you have a certain bullet or powder in mind you can email me and I'll see what I can find for you.

What part of MN are you from? I spent my first 25 years there.
i have been in pelican rapids since 1970 about 200 miles west of twin citys, realy like it here.
i am loading the new barnes triple shock 130 grain,used r-19,r-22,r-25 , worked up 2 grains over x-bullet max,r-19 was the fastest 3252.I took one wby factory load apart(3518fps), bullet is flat base 130 horn. spire point,75.9 grains powder it realy looks like vv n165 but realy not sure .I would like to shoot a bullet that not will blow up,shot a lot of nos. part.great bullet,just playing with new gun and new loads.where we hunt ,deer can be 10ft to 500yds.my son(13)has a 270 wsm what a tack driver he took a buck and doe at 325 yds.i missed with my 300 win.at the same yds.was'nt the gun, put right on like he did,thats why I had to try this 270 weatherby,will soon find out how flat it will shoot. I know i some times talk to much. Thanks for your reply and for listening. good hunting

Last edited by one shot; 01-04-2006 at 07:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-04-2006, 08:16 PM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 2,874
I grew up in the Dellwood/White Bear Lake suburb of the twins, spent a LOT of time at my fathers cabin on Lake Winnibigosh. Seen most of the state in detail traveling for work. You might want to give the 140gr Accubonds a try for deer, you shouldn't have too much problem getting around 3300 out of the 140 with a 26" barrel. I've got two boxes of the new Triple Shock on the shelf but have not tried them yet. Triple Shock looks to be a good bullet, but I don't see the need for more than a Scirroco/Accubond/Interbond for deer sized game. You are right about the .270 Roy being a flat shooter, shoots as flat as the .257 for all practical purposes, with the option for a bit more bullet weight if desired. If your 13 year old is proficient with a .270WSM you must have raised him tough, large, or both....either way congrats..pretty powerful rifle for a boy that age...and sounds like a pretty good shot!

The data in Nosler #5 is what I mainly use as a guidline. It is my belief, and I don't have this on record, that Weatherby ammunition is loaded to far higher pressures than most loading manuals recommend. Two Nosler loads for the 140gr Accubond that I will suggest are 71.0grs of IMR7828 and 70.5grs of VV N560 (my first experience with VV powders). Those are both MAX book loads using Wthby brass and a Fed 215 sparkplug. They both produce over 3200fps in my rifle, you should see around 3300. Neither of those produce any pressure signs in my rifle, but I'd advise you to work your way up. I can go to a max book load in new Weatherby brass and it does not have as great of case head expansion as factory loads do, that is what leads me to believe that Wthby ammo is loaded well beyond loading data in the manuals, but I don't think you would even start to get three firings at those pressure levels without the primers falling out of the pockets....as a result of gravity. I've seen this in several different rifles in two different Wthby chamberings, with several different batches of factory ammo and new loaded brass. Have you tried the Federal factory ammo? The 140gr TBBC's are accurate in my rifle, but slow, slow, slow....save your money...you get .270 Win performance in the big case.

Last edited by kciH; 01-04-2006 at 08:22 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-05-2006, 03:03 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: minnesota
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kciH
I grew up in the Dellwood/White Bear Lake suburb of the twins, spent a LOT of time at my fathers cabin on Lake Winnibigosh. Seen most of the state in detail traveling for work. You might want to give the 140gr Accubonds a try for deer, you shouldn't have too much problem getting around 3300 out of the 140 with a 26" barrel. I've got two boxes of the new Triple Shock on the shelf but have not tried them yet. Triple Shock looks to be a good bullet, but I don't see the need for more than a Scirroco/Accubond/Interbond for deer sized game. You are right about the .270 Roy being a flat shooter, shoots as flat as the .257 for all practical purposes, with the option for a bit more bullet weight if desired. If your 13 year old is proficient with a .270WSM you must have raised him tough, large, or both....either way congrats..pretty powerful rifle for a boy that age...and sounds like a pretty good shot!

The data in Nosler #5 is what I mainly use as a guidline. It is my belief, and I don't have this on record, that Weatherby ammunition is loaded to far higher pressures than most loading manuals recommend. Two Nosler loads for the 140gr Accubond that I will suggest are 71.0grs of IMR7828 and 70.5grs of VV N560 (my first experience with VV powders). Those are both MAX book loads using Wthby brass and a Fed 215 sparkplug. They both produce over 3200fps in my rifle, you should see around 3300. Neither of those produce any pressure signs in my rifle, but I'd advise you to work your way up. I can go to a max book load in new Weatherby brass and it does not have as great of case head expansion as factory loads do, that is what leads me to believe that Wthby ammo is loaded well beyond loading data in the manuals, but I don't think you would even start to get three firings at those pressure levels without the primers falling out of the pockets....as a result of gravity. I've seen this in several different rifles in two different Wthby chamberings, with several different batches of factory ammo and new loaded brass. Have you tried the Federal factory ammo? The 140gr TBBC's are accurate in my rifle, but slow, slow, slow....save your money...you get .270 Win performance in the big case.
Hcih
my dad taught me young, both son(13) & daughter(14) hunt, I make sure they can hit what they aiming at that is only way to have it.my daughter shot a very nice 5 point last year 250 yrs. 243,100 grain sierra,they realy do hit like lighting,I'am realy not tring to brag,we have good gun rest,when she pulls the trigger its dead but she takes her time,some times to long oh well.
my sons 270 wsm has muzzle brake,3.5 set trigger mod. 70 win.it is just nice to shoot. 2 years ago we had 25-06 a-bolt the thing kicked like a mad mule don't know why but it did, did'nt get good groups.so i traded it off ,oh ya my son 175 lbs,size 12 shoe and loves foot ball,all most as big as dad .
last year hunted with my 300 win. mag sako 26" barrel w/brake used a 180 scirroco 3200+ fps had a real good hunt shot 5 deer all small bucks 175lbs biggest to 125lbs smallest and all had bad looking racks,no I'am not a deer pig, some family wanted meat so I got it for them.so any how ,of 5 deer shot I had only 1 pass through all deer droped in there tracks,shot placement was not good 4 whammy's (gut shots)or close to it, inside deer looked like bomb went off,deer were 75 yds to 300 yds bullet did same damage,did'nt lose much meat,but what a mess.
have you shot a deer with accubond would like to know how they hold together. I also have 130 grain .277 scirrocos I will try, they are very accurate bullets,also have 135 grain sierra hp boattail matchking I wonder what they would to to a deer a close range. I will check out these loads, I have the book. also have not used factory shells for years,have to much fun reloading, not saving any money, I like to shoot a lot. what is the best group you done with your 270 Roy. Thank you for all your help.very nice talking

Last edited by one shot; 01-05-2006 at 03:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-05-2006, 07:06 PM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 2,874
My rifle is so-so on accuracy, I feel pretty good when I get consistent 3 shot groups under an inch running full steam with it. These wouldn't be three carefully timed shots with barrel cooling and all that, three quick but carefully aimed shots from a cool barrel. The rifle has shot some groups in the .5-.75" range but they where all at much lower velocity than full loads...so I might as well be shooting my .280 at that point. My M70 has a heavier barrel than most MkV's I see but it still heats up in a big hurry.

I have seen 4 deer shot with the 130gr Hornady factory loads, most of them where close 25-150 yards, and the bullet came out the other side on all of them...not going to tell you there was no meat damage, but it would be hard say the bullets failed...am certainly happy none I had to eviscerate where gutshot.

I still have a box and a half of Sciroccos left, but it hasn't been a very good shooter for me when driven like the cartridge should be...could be my barrel doesn't like them.

I applaud you for teaching your children to shoot and hunt. I have a 4 year old son and am trying to decide when he should start with the .22. Might pick up a CZ Scout, or one of the new Savage youth 22's complete with Accutrigger and peep sight, and see how much too big it is for him this summer.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-05-2006, 08:45 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: minnesota
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kciH
My rifle is so-so on accuracy, I feel pretty good when I get consistent 3 shot groups under an inch running full steam with it. These wouldn't be three carefully timed shots with barrel cooling and all that, three quick but carefully aimed shots from a cool barrel. The rifle has shot some groups in the .5-.75" range but they where all at much lower velocity than full loads...so I might as well be shooting my .280 at that point. My M70 has a heavier barrel than most MkV's I see but it still heats up in a big hurry.

I have seen 4 deer shot with the 130gr Hornady factory loads, most of them where close 25-150 yards, and the bullet came out the other side on all of them...not going to tell you there was no meat damage, but it would be hard say the bullets failed...am certainly happy none I had to eviscerate where gutshot.

I still have a box and a half of Sciroccos left, but it hasn't been a very good shooter for me when driven like the cartridge should be...could be my barrel doesn't like them.

I applaud you for teaching your children to shoot and hunt. I have a 4 year old son and am trying to decide when he should start with the .22. Might pick up a CZ Scout, or one of the new Savage youth 22's complete with Accutrigger and peep sight, and see how much too big it is for him this summer.
that is a realy good group ,hope i can get close to that,Ihad a box of weatherby 130 gr.those were smokers,i think they had horn.spire points, got them mainly for the brass they are fast,this must be close to what you are shot those deer with,total shock power there.
the barrel on my gun 26" 5/8"dia.@muzzle and fluted,first time I shot it 5 times into chrono.just checking speeds,wow did it get hot!!!could of darn near branded cattle,did'nt think it would get that hot, 3 shot groups next time
Thank you for that about my childen,I started mine when there 3 or 4 years old,Iwould hold the gun(22cal)single shot up for them and let them pull the trigger at a target they loved it,we were in safe area no other people.
That savage sounds like good gun, he will grow into, take him shooting and see if he gets the shooting fever.you might need lots of ammo, you will know in short order if he likes it,if not there still lots time to get him started well happy shooting, hope i can get to the range this weekend,give that 270 ROY A TEST RUN AGAIN!!!!Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-06-2006, 07:04 AM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 2,874
The Weatherby factory ammo with the 130gr. Hornady spire point is the ammo was referring to, might not have been real clear on that. Looks like you must have gotten a plenty fast lot of ammo as Weatherby only lists it at 3350fps on their website.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-06-2006, 07:44 AM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: West of the Mississippi
Posts: 344
One Shot - I have a Ruger No. 1B in a .270 Weatherby with a 26" BBL for your comparison. I received the following chronograph results from factory ammo: (1) PMC 130gr XHP (Barnes) = 3060fps (avg) (2) Federa 130 SptBt (Sierra) = 3200fps (avg) (3) Weatherby 100 Ptd "Expanding" = 3750fps (avg).
I've settled on 74.0gr of IMR7828 with a 130gr Speer and 70.0gr of the same powder with a 150gr Hornady for 3300fps and 3100fps respectively. I'm sure I can drive them faster, but 200fps faster than the "standard" case was my objective along with exceptional accuracy. (No pressure signs in my rifle from either load and the Ruger has a "long throat", but probably not as long as your rifle.) From the data I have, most sources indicate that Weatherby has their factory ammo loaded well above 54000CUP. It is the first time I have heard of a "special blend" of powder being employed (certainly possible, since companies have been using powders not available to the public for quite some time). Blending powders is not a technique I would ever use to reach higher velocities though; however, I think that any powder slower than 7828 needs to be employed in a bigger case to achieve higher velocities with "workable" pressures. (Or, maybe bullets in the .270 Weatherby heavier than 160gr.) Just some random thoughts - Riley
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-06-2006, 09:35 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: minnesota
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by riley
One Shot - I have a Ruger No. 1B in a .270 Weatherby with a 26" BBL for your comparison. I received the following chronograph results from factory ammo: (1) PMC 130gr XHP (Barnes) = 3060fps (avg) (2) Federa 130 SptBt (Sierra) = 3200fps (avg) (3) Weatherby 100 Ptd "Expanding" = 3750fps (avg).
I've settled on 74.0gr of IMR7828 with a 130gr Speer and 70.0gr of the same powder with a 150gr Hornady for 3300fps and 3100fps respectively. I'm sure I can drive them faster, but 200fps faster than the "standard" case was my objective along with exceptional accuracy. (No pressure signs in my rifle from either load and the Ruger has a "long throat", but probably not as long as your rifle.) From the data I have, most sources indicate that Weatherby has their factory ammo loaded well above 54000CUP. It is the first time I have heard of a "special blend" of powder being employed (certainly possible, since companies have been using powders not available to the public for quite some time). Blending powders is not a technique I would ever use to reach higher velocities though; however, I think that any powder slower than 7828 needs to be employed in a bigger case to achieve higher velocities with "workable" pressures. (Or, maybe bullets in the .270 Weatherby heavier than 160gr.) Just some random thoughts - Riley
hi riley ,Thanks for the info.speed and accuracy is what i was hoping for when I bought the 270wby ,also to shoot flater than my 7mm mag,or 300 win,with a lighter bullet, ballisticly it should do better,we will see.
blended powders came from a reloading tech. from barnes bullets co.,I called them asked why the triple shock bullets very so much in weight,out 20 bullets 3 were 130 grs. the rest were as much as 5/10's of grain over 3/10's under and so on,did"nt get of answer maybe a bad batch.then i asked why weatherby ammo was so fast thats when he told me about blended powders they might use,makes sense to me.
no blended powder for me,I locked the bolt on my 7mm ultra mag about 5 yrs. ago ,did'nt have much data at the time,buddy came over said we should try this load,that he made up (not blended)the gun realy rattled when shot,tapped on bolt with brass hammer and it broke,wonder how fast that 160 gr. part. was going and it hit the target of all things,the gun was'nt hurt or me.if it not good data dont use it.
I will have try some imr 7828,use alot of r-25 in some of my other guns seams to work good,maybe some other bullets,thanks will let you know how i do.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-08-2006, 02:14 PM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: East TN
Posts: 178
With Hornady LM 130gr. 270 Win. with a 24in. barral you can achive 3215fps.... Boy I like the 270 Win.
__________________
Buckeye


The 45/70 Government
Is the only Government
I trust
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-08-2006, 07:23 PM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 2,874
One Shot,
I have the IMR data claiming 3500fps with a 130gr bullet, it comes from the Hodgdon #27 Manual. This is listed as IMR data.

26" test barrel
Weatherby brass
Federal 215 primer
Bullet: Nosler 130gr SP (age of the data makes me think Nosler Solid Base)
COL 3.250"
76.0grs IMR 7828
3500fps.
53,000 CUP

I would NOT use this data with any kind of thick jacketed bullet or x bullet, with the possible exception of the XLC (carefully working my way up in that instance). I would certainly try 7828 or 7828SSC as I have had very good luck with IMR7828 in this cartridge. The nosler data for a 130gr bullet stops 1.5grs short of this load in the #5 manual. Barnes #3 lists the same 74.5grs of IMR7828 as Nosler behind their 130gr XLC-BT, which is a FULL 3.5grs above the maximum load for the standard X-BT. They are claiming 3455fps with the XLC and I don't doubt it based on the way the 210gr XLC SCREAMS out of my .340. Your TSXshould be able to handle more powder than the standard X, but I would not take it as far as the XLC...you might want to call Barnes talk to Ty Herring to see if they have shot any data for the TSX in the .270 Roy.

RL19 is a good powder, but something slower might work to your advantage in the quest for velocity in this cartridge.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-09-2006, 02:11 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: LaPine Oregon
Posts: 20
According to the techs at weatherby and at norma Weatherby ammo is loaded with a non canister powder not available to the public. Even if you disasembled a factory round you would not be able to duplicate it . I can see ther reasoning but it is probably the one thing I don't care aout weatherby's. Norma used to have a powder, N205. It has since been replaced acording to norma with a new powder with the same 205 designation. You might try it if you can find it. good luck
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-11-2006, 10:49 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: minnesota
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kciH
One Shot,
I have the IMR data claiming 3500fps with a 130gr bullet, it comes from the Hodgdon #27 Manual. This is listed as IMR data.

26" test barrel
Weatherby brass
Federal 215 primer
Bullet: Nosler 130gr SP (age of the data makes me think Nosler Solid Base)
COL 3.250"
76.0grs IMR 7828
3500fps.
53,000 CUP

I would NOT use this data with any kind of thick jacketed bullet or x bullet, with the possible exception of the XLC (carefully working my way up in that instance). I would certainly try 7828 or 7828SSC as I have had very good luck with IMR7828 in this cartridge. The nosler data for a 130gr bullet stops 1.5grs short of this load in the #5 manual. Barnes #3 lists the same 74.5grs of IMR7828 as Nosler behind their 130gr XLC-BT, which is a FULL 3.5grs above the maximum load for the standard X-BT. They are claiming 3455fps with the XLC and I don't doubt it based on the way the 210gr XLC SCREAMS out of my .340. Your TSXshould be able to handle more powder than the standard X, but I would not take it as far as the XLC...you might want to call Barnes talk to Ty Herring to see if they have shot any data for the TSX in the .270 Roy.

RL19 is a good powder, but something slower might work to your advantage in the quest for velocity in this cartridge.
kcih
went to range last sunday, after doing my reloads,found my problem when sizing the case i'nt get the neck sized right. reloaded all over same powders r-19.r-22,r-25and vv165,did'nt get chance to get 7828 yet.
wow did i get speed out of that 270 r-19 was far the best 73 grains, 130 gr. triple shock-------3673fps was top 3622fps was low ,(5 slow shots)and no sighs presures,will back off 1.5 grains or so and see if i can get some good groups,best i did on sunday was about 1.5 moa bad day windy,cold
340 wby now thats a cannon,just about bought that gun, little big for white tails.i have a 300 rum ,do'nt use to much heavy ,with 165 grain bullets it will shot less than1/2" @100yds.(5 shots)
Thanks a lot for looking up all that data,and taking the time to help out.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-05-2006, 02:31 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Great Lakes region.
Posts: 19
I had the Classic Caliber variant of the Winchester Model 70, chambered for the .300 Weatherby, and found it wouldn't handle boattails of any weight or flat-based bullets less than 180 grains. It simply wasn't accurate with either, generating scatter plots. I believe it was the long leade and possibly a funnel-throated leade. Therefore, if this pattern is standardized for weatherby cartridges, the .270 may not be capable of handling a bottail.

Have you tried a boattail, and if so, what kind of groupings did you get with standard velocities verses high velocities?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-05-2006, 03:28 AM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 2,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy
I had the Classic Caliber variant of the Winchester Model 70, chambered for the .300 Weatherby, and found it wouldn't handle boattails of any weight or flat-based bullets less than 180 grains. It simply wasn't accurate with either, generating scatter plots. I believe it was the long leade and possibly a funnel-throated leade. Therefore, if this pattern is standardized for weatherby cartridges, the .270 may not be capable of handling a bottail.

Have you tried a boattail, and if so, what kind of groupings did you get with standard velocities verses high velocities?

Interesting observation. You are saying that your M70 has the "free-bore" common to Weatherby rifles? Is this a newer "Classic" controlled round feed M70? My push feed .270 Roy does not have the long lead you mention. Mine shoots most bullet types equally well, but seems to prefer a flat base...which is no suprise as flat base bullets are more accurate in general.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-05-2006, 06:26 AM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by one shot
just picked up my first weatherby,270mag ultra lightweigt, done some reloading from barnes book,tring to reload triple shock bullets 130 grain not happy with speed,best i coud get so far 3252,73grain,r-19 ,shot some wby factory 130 spire point,3518 was the high, 3479 was low(5) shots. does any body load this bullet and cal. or have data,thank you
1 shot,

Get yourself some of the Wby factory ammo you are trying to reproduce and chrono them from your rifle. Have found this to be the way best to start when try to reproduce a factory velocity.
__________________
Ray
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
35 REM. VS. 44 MAG. Tony Rifles and Rifle Cartridges 39 03-28-2010 04:43 PM
rossi carbines in .357 maG mundumugu Leverguns and Their Cartridges (General) 13 08-03-2007 05:18 PM
270 short mag question SALTY Rifles and Rifle Cartridges 3 10-10-2004 12:27 PM
pillar bedding kits for 375 H&H MAg swifty Rifles and Rifle Cartridges 5 01-10-2003 08:20 AM
270 wby mag powder brand ansarisimin Handloading Procedures/Practices 8 07-05-2001 08:40 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:11 PM.

< Contact Us - Shooters Forum - Archive >

 
 

All Content & Design Copyright © 1999-2002 Beartooth Bullets, All Rights Reserved
View Privacy Policy | Contact Webmaster | Legal Information
Website Design & Development By Exbabylon Internet Solutions
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2