» Advanced

Go Back   Shooters Forum > Rifle and Rifle Cartridges > Rifles and Rifle Cartridges
Register FAQ Members List Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-09-2006, 11:20 PM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Athens alabama
Posts: 27
Question 300 Weatherby Or 338 Win Mag?


Registered Users do not see the above ad.


I Need Some Advice On Which Of These Two Calibers To Get. Seems To Me That At 200 Yrds Both Have About The Same Energy. About A Month Ago I Was Leaning Toward The 338 But The 300 Wby Has Caught My Eye. The Wby Looks Like A Cannon Shell Compared To The 30-06. Any Opinions About Vanguards In These Calibers? Thanks, Northal 72.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-10-2006, 03:01 AM
M1Garand's Avatar
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,243
I'm not a big Weatherby fan but I've heard a lot of good things about the Vanguard. As far as your choice in calibers, what do you plan to hunt?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-10-2006, 07:45 AM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Where the ducks don't come no more
Posts: 270
At 200 yards, its moot. How dead is dead enough?

Seems that a lot of the 300 weatherby ammo is a twitch harder to come by, and a bit more expensive.

I believe I would go with a .338. While it doesn't quite shoot as flat, its a bigger, heavier bullet. I don't think the 300 Wea would really shine a significant amount more until you got out around 350 or 400 yards. But the .338 will still do it.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-10-2006, 02:03 PM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Denver Co
Posts: 525
NORTHAL72,

If you decied on the Vanguard in .300 Wby I have one I might part with..

Let me know.

I've been very happy with it, plenty of power, GREAT reason to start reloading, accurate. Mine has an after market break that tames it at the bench, and is removed when hunting (so not so dang LOUD)!!

best o luck

nate
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-10-2006, 04:00 PM
JR1's Avatar
JR1 JR1 is offline
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 706
I disagree. The .300 will kill anythign on the planet. One of my hunting partners used it on elephant with solids. Not the first choice, I suppose, but does the job. The .338 is gonna thump more. About the only reason I can think of for the .338 pref is if you want a BAR, but you can't take that to Africa. Weatherby makes terrific rifles, and .300 ammo is availabel just about anywhere in the world.
__________________
If fishing involved firearms, I'd fish.

ĦA Dios!
JR
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-10-2006, 06:52 PM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: EAST CENTRAL BAMA
Posts: 688
Have you priced the ammo! The 300 wby would be the last 300 mag I'd pick, and no it can't be found all over the world. Most places if not near a very large sporting goods store, and I'm not talking about Wally World, you'll have to special order it and then pay postage on top of the inflated price. And I thought elephant required at least a 375 cal to be legal.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-12-2006, 06:00 AM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: SE KS
Posts: 158
I have a wood stocked Vanguard in .300 Wea, NIB from Wal Mart a few years back for $379. You can afford to buy ammo at that price. FYI, Midway USA has Federal Premium 180 gr Nosler solid base boat-tails for $15 in .300 Wea.

George
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-12-2006, 06:34 AM
faucettb's Avatar
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Peck, Idaho
Posts: 12,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTHAL72
I Need Some Advice On Which Of These Two Calibers To Get. Seems To Me That At 200 Yrds Both Have About The Same Energy. About A Month Ago I Was Leaning Toward The 338 But The 300 Wby Has Caught My Eye. The Wby Looks Like A Cannon Shell Compared To The 30-06. Any Opinions About Vanguards In These Calibers? Thanks, Northal 72.
Both are good calibers, but if I was thinking about a .338 I would certianly take a look at the .338 Ultra-mag. Better velocity and that means flatter shooting. The reason most folks go to one of the magnums is for a gun that shoots flat and carries more energy further out.

I've been shooting an 8mm Rem mag for lots of years for just the same reason and If I was in the magnum market today the 338 Ultra is the one I'd be considering. This would make a great elk/grizzly gun.

Keep in mind your going to have some pretty good recoil reguardless of which magnum you choose. I've just not seen any real energy/velocity gains in the real world from a 300 Weatherby over a 300 Winchester mag. You have to step up to the 300 Ultra-mag to get real world gains, i.e. a 180 grain bullet from a 300 Win at 3100 fps, a 180 grain bullet from a 300 Weatherby at 3200 fps compared to a 180 grain bullet from a 300 Ultra-mag at 3400 fps.

I've got a friend whom shoots the 300 Ultra-mag and have to say it's both ultra-flat and kills like lightening. The .338 Ultra is very close to that while pushing bullets that carry even more energy.

Good luck in your search for that perfect rifle.
__________________
Bob from Idaho
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-13-2006, 08:57 AM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Where the ducks don't come no more
Posts: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by fornra
And I thought elephant required at least a 375 cal to be legal.

For the most part in contemporary Africa this is true, with the 9.3 X whatever down to 62, being the exception to the rule. Grandfathered in you might say.

I have a good friend, who is a hullva lot older than myself, who has taken Cape Buffs with a 30/06 in the '60s. Or at least, so he says. He isn't prone to lying, but who knows. I am confident that it will do it, however, not legally in these days.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-13-2006, 09:04 AM
JR1's Avatar
JR1 JR1 is offline
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 706
The ammo cost is irrelevant when you start reloading. But IF you had to have a box of ammo...you'll have a much better chance of scoring the .300 Wby than the .338 I'd bet. And you're right about Africa. You can't hunt elephant with it, but he was a PH and using it as his own gun for backup since he was quite confident with it.
__________________
If fishing involved firearms, I'd fish.

ĦA Dios!
JR
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-13-2006, 06:27 PM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Athens alabama
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR1
The ammo cost is irrelevant when you start reloading. But IF you had to have a box of ammo...you'll have a much better chance of scoring the .300 Wby than the .338 I'd bet. And you're right about Africa. You can't hunt elephant with it, but he was a PH and using it as his own gun for backup since he was quite confident with it.
Thanks for your input and suggestions, a 338 RUM would seem like a big step up and maybe I need to look into it as well. NorthAl72
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-13-2006, 06:34 PM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: EAST CENTRAL BAMA
Posts: 688
Just how much recoil do you need.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-14-2006, 08:04 AM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Where the ducks don't come no more
Posts: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR1
And you're right about Africa. You can't hunt elephant with it, but he was a PH and using it as his own gun for backup since he was quite confident with it.

I'd imagine that his clients didn't have a heck of a lot of confidence in it though! And I am suprised that a PH would violate a law like that anyway. Good thing he never got caught....and I don't mean by the DC either...
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-14-2006, 08:25 AM
JR1's Avatar
JR1 JR1 is offline
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 706
I was glad to cut him loose as a partner in our deer camp! He was one of those who believed the laws were for other people, jeopardizing all of us! In Wisconsin, they can confiscate vehicles, guns, and ban you for five years...but he was one heckuva shot.
__________________
If fishing involved firearms, I'd fish.

ĦA Dios!
JR
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-14-2006, 07:00 PM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Mid-West
Posts: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTHAL72
I Need Some Advice On Which Of These Two Calibers To Get. Seems To Me That At 200 Yrds Both Have About The Same Energy. About A Month Ago I Was Leaning Toward The 338 But The 300 Wby Has Caught My Eye. The Wby Looks Like A Cannon Shell Compared To The 30-06. Any Opinions About Vanguards In These Calibers? Thanks, Northal 72.
I have hunted with both the 300 Wby and 300 Win mag, as was mentioned in a prior post, dead is dead and I will assure you, the animal couldn't tell you what hit it. Wby ammo is hard to come by, in those out of the way places, even in the US Western states.

The Wby has about 8% to 10% more energy, using almost 18% more powder and dishes out 12% more recoil. Your choice! You don't kill a big game animal with energy OK.

The .338 caliber makes a bigger wound channel than the .300 calibers and drives those heavier bullets I like deeper. They also give more of a visual, on the bullet striking it's mark on big game like elk. You know you hit the animal by the way it reacts to the shot.

Now before you jump at one of those Ultra Mags, I suggest you find someone that has one and test fire the rifle before laying your hard earned money down on the counter. They do recoil a at least 15% more than the conventional .338 Win mag or .300 Wby etc. A .338 Win mag has 34 lbs of felt recoil, the 300 Win mag 30 lbs, 338 Ultra Mag has 43 lbs or felt recoil.

If you can handle the recoil and still shoot accurately with the Ultra, then by all means take it home to your gun cabinet. However if not, (a dozen rounds in a row) I would simply pick up the .300 Winchester magnum that felt good in your hands and go to the field and hunt big game.

Now one more thing before I close out on this post OK. Now at the distance of 200 yards in the field, neither the .300 Wby or the .300 Win mag, including the .338 Win mag will kill any better than the 30-06. Magnums are meant for Long Range Hunting, passed those 300 yard ranges. Just something to think about during your selection process.

Last edited by Cozy; 11-14-2006 at 07:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-15-2006, 09:11 AM
JR1's Avatar
JR1 JR1 is offline
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 706
Excellent points Cozy. Maybe we should return to the beginning. My .300 usually sits in the rack now while I walk into the woods with my .308. Why? Bullets. I used to feel like the .300 gave me extra insurance thanks to bullet design 15-20 years ago. Now, I use SST's, which actually make bigger holes in deer from my .308 than the older, conventional bullets do from my .300. And it's a whole lot more fun to shoot (and carry!). I just bought my son a .243 for the same reason. We should collectively applaud the bullet designers for the work they've done. They're changed everything.
__________________
If fishing involved firearms, I'd fish.

ĦA Dios!
JR
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-15-2006, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,877
I still haven't seen a reply to what NORTHAL72 is planning to shoot with the 300 Wby or 338 Win Mag?? Targets, varmints(??) or game? Since bringing up the energy subject, I'd assume game, so....deer, elk, bears, something else?

I consider both solid 400 yard cartridges for elk-sized game, in the hands of a practiced shooter that is, and with the proper bullet selections. I don't buy into the arguments of flatter shooting or more energy beyond that range in comparing cartridges since very few people should be shooting at big game beyond that range anyway. Some would argue that the same few people should not be shooting beyond 300 yards.

My brother used to shoot a 300 Wby Vanguard. He got kind of flinchy with it. The recoil isn't that bad, but the muzzle blast is terrible. He now shoots the good old 30-06 and hasn't been hindered at all by it, and is a better shot with it.
__________________
NRA Endowment Member
SCI Member
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-15-2006, 07:58 PM
faucettb's Avatar
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Peck, Idaho
Posts: 12,620
Got to say I've been a magnum hunter for lots of years and Shawn has pretty well hit the nail on the head. I do like the bigger calibers such as the 8mm and 338 simply because they don't tear up near as much meat as a 270 for instance. Probably the same argument would apply to the 375 H&H.

Bought a nice little 280 Rem mountian rifle last year, still hope to get a deer this fall if my heart problems let up enough for me to get out.

Nothing wrong with shooting those magnums if you take the time to master the recoil enough to shoot them well.
__________________
Bob from Idaho
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-15-2006, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by faucettb
I do like the bigger calibers such as the 8mm and 338 simply because they don't tear up near as much meat as a 270 for instance. Probably the same argument would apply to the 375 H&H.
I love my 338 Win Mag for the same reasons Bob, hardly any bloodshot with the right bullet. And even though it will carry plenty of punch to 500 yards or more, I don't shoot it at game at those distances just because the ballistics tables tell me I can! I do like that heavy hit inside 400 yards though. And as you've written before, when you want to anchor an animal right there with a shoulder shot, the punch is there.
__________________
NRA Endowment Member
SCI Member
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-16-2006, 06:14 AM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: missouri
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by faucettb
Both are good calibers, but if I was thinking about a .338 I would certianly take a look at the .338 Ultra-mag. Better velocity and that means flatter shooting. The reason most folks go to one of the magnums is for a gun that shoots flat and carries more energy further out.

I've been shooting an 8mm Rem mag for lots of years for just the same reason and If I was in the magnum market today the 338 Ultra is the one I'd be considering. This would make a great elk/grizzly gun.

Keep in mind your going to have some pretty good recoil reguardless of which magnum you choose. I've just not seen any real energy/velocity gains in the real world from a 300 Weatherby over a 300 Winchester mag. You have to step up to the 300 Ultra-mag to get real world gains, i.e. a 180 grain bullet from a 300 Win at 3100 fps, a 180 grain bullet from a 300 Weatherby at 3200 fps compared to a 180 grain bullet from a 300 Ultra-mag at 3400 fps.

I've got a friend whom shoots the 300 Ultra-mag and have to say it's both ultra-flat and kills like lightening. The .338 Ultra is very close to that while pushing bullets that carry even more energy.

Good luck in your search for that perfect rifle.

if you want to go by velocity and energy and trajectory, then why not jump up to what i got, wby 30-378 mag. 180gr barnes at 3650fps. been chronographed. hand loads i have read where the rem mags generate a lot of chamber pressure. so does the wby but a mk 5 is built for it. is a rem or winchester going to stand up to that for long. i realize dead is dead but i wanted the ultimate long range rifle. just to have it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any 264 Win. Mag. Shooters Out There? Darkker Rifles and Rifle Cartridges 168 05-18-2011 11:56 PM
Which one? 338 Win mag or the Rem Ultra? Smokinjoe Alaska Hunting 198 11-10-2010 08:18 AM
338 ultra mag versus 338 win mag CBRanch Rifles and Rifle Cartridges 37 01-09-2010 10:52 AM
Reload data for a 300 win mag necked to 375 --not to 338 though.Anyone have links to suhploda Wildcat Cartridges 4 11-07-2006 02:51 AM
pillar bedding kits for 375 H&H MAg swifty Rifles and Rifle Cartridges 5 01-10-2003 08:20 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:52 AM.

< Contact Us - Shooters Forum - Archive >

 
 

All Content & Design Copyright © 1999-2002 Beartooth Bullets, All Rights Reserved
View Privacy Policy | Contact Webmaster | Legal Information
Website Design & Development By Exbabylon Internet Solutions
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2