» Advanced

Go Back   Shooters Forum > Rifle and Rifle Cartridges > Rifles and Rifle Cartridges
Register FAQ Members List Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 3.91 average. Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-29-2007, 10:29 AM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Apex. NC
Posts: 46
Remington Serial Numbers


Registered Users do not see the above ad.


I have a link and a document showing Marlin serial numbers and years they were produced. Does anyone know of a similar document for Remingtons?
__________________
----------
NC_HUNTER
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-29-2007, 11:26 AM
Jim H's Avatar
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 1,001
Remington Owners,

Remington Year of Manufacture Codes maybe found on the barrel of your Remington rifle [or shotgun] on the left side, just forward of the receiver; the first letter of the Code is the month of manufacture, followed by one or two letters which are the year of manufacture. For shotguns with removeable barrels, the code will be valid for the manufacture of the barrel; maybe for the receiver, as barrels do get switched around.

According to the "Blue Book of Gun Values", the coding continues as follows:

Month Codes: [first letter]
B - L - A - C - K - P - O - W - D - E - R - X
1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 11 - 12

Year:______Code: [second (and third*) letters]
1930_______ Y
1931_______ Z
1932_______ A
1933_______ B
1934_______ C
1935_______ D
1936_______ E
1937_______ F
1938_______ G
1939_______ H

1940_______ J
1941_______ K
1942_______ L
1943_______ MMZ
1944_______ NN
1945_______ PP
1946_______ RR
1947_______ SS
1948_______ TT
1949_______ UU

1950_______ WW
1951_______ XX
1952_______ YY
1953_______ ZZ
1954_______ A
1955_______ B
1956_______ C
1957_______ D
1958_______ E
1959_______ F

1960_______ G
1961_______ H
1962_______ J
1963_______ K
1964_______ L
1965_______ M
1966_______ N
1967_______ P
1968_______ R
1969_______ S

1970_______ T
1971_______ U
1972_______ W
1973_______ X
1974_______ Y
1975_______ Z
1976_______ I
1977_______ O
1978_______ Q
1979_______ V

1980_______ A
1981_______ B
1982_______ C
1983_______ D
1984_______ E
1985_______ F
1986_______ G
1987_______ H
1988_______ I
1989_______ J

1990_______ K
1991_______ L
1992_______ M
1993_______ N
1994_______ O
1995_______ P
1996_______ Q
1997_______ R
1998_______ S
1999_______ T
2000_______ U
2001_______ W
2002_______ X

* the years 1943 though 1953 had double letters: ie, MM = 1943

As maybe seen, the year code letters duplicate; some knowledge of when the model was introduced should resolve the actual year of manufacture.

Remington owners: COPY this table to your Hard Drive......! !

another couple helpfull links: http://www.remington.com/library/his...irearm_models/

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nviss/do...Codelist21.pdf


.

Last edited by Jim H; 08-29-2007 at 11:29 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-29-2007, 11:46 AM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Apex. NC
Posts: 46
Thank you, Jim. I appreciate the help.
__________________
----------
NC_HUNTER
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-29-2007, 06:18 PM
faucettb's Avatar
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Peck, Idaho
Posts: 12,620
You can for modern Remingtons go to their web site and they have a place where you inter the serial number and it will tell you what year your rifle was made.
__________________
Bob from Idaho
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-30-2007, 07:32 PM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Apex. NC
Posts: 46
Bob , i saw that but am looking at used guns and wanted something to double check on site.
__________________
----------
NC_HUNTER
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-30-2007, 09:24 PM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Idaho
Posts: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by faucettb
You can for modern Remingtons go to their web site and they have a place where you inter the serial number and it will tell you what year your rifle was made.
Bob, do you have a link for that serial number place? I must be dumb as a post cause I'll be darned if I can find it.

I know the barrel codes but never heard of Remington's serial numbers telling manufacture dates.

Barrel date codes are here at the Remington Society, along with a good diagram of how to read them.

Good job JimH.

http://www.remingtonsociety.com/rsa/...ns/barrelcodes
__________________
NRA Life Member.

Last edited by MarlinF; 09-07-2007 at 03:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-31-2007, 06:22 AM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by va_hunter
I have a link and a document showing Marlin serial numbers and years they were produced. Does anyone know of a similar document for Remingtons?

Here is a link for serial number dating of various firearms. Go down the left side of the page and click on what you want to see. Take care...
Oberndorf

www.oldguns.net
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-31-2007, 09:10 AM
Jim H's Avatar
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 1,001
guys, a bunch of these links sure would make dandy stickies !
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-06-2007, 09:34 PM
Jack Monteith's Avatar
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 7,788
It should be a sticky. Stuck. Some say that you can take the alphabet dates back to 1922, but my Dad's Model 10 shotgun doesn't have the barrel stamped that way. My guess is that 1924 was the start of this system.

Bye
Jack
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-07-2007, 03:14 PM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Idaho
Posts: 575
Here's a couple I know about that might come in handy
http://armscollectors.com/

T/C Contenders
http://www.handgunhunt.com/tech/t1/index.html

Savage 24

http://www.cylindersmith.com/savage24/datecode.html


Cross reference guide,
http://www.hoosiergunworks.com/catal...reference.html

Manuals
http://stevespages.com/page7b.htm

or,
http://gunshowonthenet.com/page20.html

Exploded drawings,http://www.urban-armory.com/blueprints.htm


or
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sch.../SchemMFG.aspx

or

http://www.e-gunparts.com/aboutschematics.asp


Here is a great firearm link filled with extremely good information,
http://yarchive.net/gun/index.html
__________________
NRA Life Member.

Last edited by MarlinF; 09-07-2007 at 03:30 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-07-2007, 09:08 PM
Jim H's Avatar
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 1,001
MarlinF, love the cross referance link, i had it book marked on my old computor but lost it when i got hit with a virus. couldn't remember the link, thanks!
more important now it will always be stuck on top here.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-13-2007, 07:20 PM
macv_sog's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 2
I have found the dates codes to be out of sequence before on the 700 series. A call to Remington personel on their toll free number will give you the year of manufacture.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-16-2008, 06:11 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 8
looking at my remington 700 .243 tha only marks on the left side of the barrel looks like '' ' x 30 but the x looking mark does not look like a stamped mark but a bad punch mark like the '' ' marks, if this makes any sence, does any one know what these marks mean.

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-02-2008, 06:13 PM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 79
Easiest way to find the year out of your remington guns is to just email remington i did that and easily got the year that all 18 of my remingtons were manufactured
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-05-2009, 04:43 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 12
I have a Remington Model 10 with BL3 on the barrel and a SS# of 67XXX. There does not appear to be any records prior to 1921. Anyone have any information?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-30-2009, 07:10 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 12
model 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlinF View Post
Bob, do you have a link for that serial number place? I must be dumb as a post cause I'll be darned if I can find it.

I know the barrel codes but never heard of Remington's serial numbers telling manufacture dates.

Barrel date codes are here at the Remington Society, along with a good diagram of how to read them.

Good job JimH.

http://www.remingtonsociety.com/rsa/...ns/barrelcodes
my serial no. is not on the left of the barrel......its on the bottom of the reciever.....aa64xx.....im confused now. and unsure of how to use the codes.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-12-2010, 07:01 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 2
Remington 700

Hello all
I am new to the forums and have read through some of the psot and found some very good info. I was wondering if anyone could help me with a question. I recently will turn 40 and for a birthday present my dad surprised me with a nice rifle.
I was looking at a camo 06 recently and he found a nice one. This rifle is a Remington 700 .30-06 with serial number 293XXX. I think it was manufactured around 1967, but any expert imput would be great. It has a 4x leupold gold ring scope with it and the woodwork is a little different than on other BDLs I have seen. Instead of a checkered it has some feathering around the corners. It has the black fore end on the stock and a metal buttplate and on the left side of the barrel beside the P are the numbers 3 and maybe a 9 (they are staggered in level of inpression). Something like this
p
3 9

It is in 90-95% condition with no major marks anyplace.

My question is could this be a C grade maybe?
and if not how can i tell if if is more than a standard BDL?
Also, is my dating correct?

Thanks and look forwarding to conversing with ya
Roy
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-16-2010, 02:47 PM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 33
need help to ID model 700 Remington ADL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim H View Post
Remington Owners,

Remington Year of Manufacture Codes maybe found on the barrel of your Remington rifle [or shotgun] on the left side, just forward of the receiver; the first letter of the Code is the month of manufacture, followed by one or two letters which are the year of manufacture. For shotguns with removeable barrels, the code will be valid for the manufacture of the barrel; maybe for the receiver, as barrels do get switched around.

According to the "Blue Book of Gun Values", the coding continues as follows:

Month Codes: [first letter]
B - L - A - C - K - P - O - W - D - E - R - X
1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 11 - 12

Year:______Code: [second (and third*) letters]
1930_______ Y
1931_______ Z
1932_______ A
1933_______ B
1934_______ C
1935_______ D
1936_______ E
1937_______ F
1938_______ G
1939_______ H

1940_______ J
1941_______ K
1942_______ L
1943_______ MMZ
1944_______ NN
1945_______ PP
1946_______ RR
1947_______ SS
1948_______ TT
1949_______ UU

1950_______ WW
1951_______ XX
1952_______ YY
1953_______ ZZ
1954_______ A
1955_______ B
1956_______ C
1957_______ D
1958_______ E
1959_______ F

1960_______ G
1961_______ H
1962_______ J
1963_______ K
1964_______ L
1965_______ M
1966_______ N
1967_______ P
1968_______ R
1969_______ S

1970_______ T
1971_______ U
1972_______ W
1973_______ X
1974_______ Y
1975_______ Z
1976_______ I
1977_______ O
1978_______ Q
1979_______ V

1980_______ A
1981_______ B
1982_______ C
1983_______ D
1984_______ E
1985_______ F
1986_______ G
1987_______ H
1988_______ I
1989_______ J

1990_______ K
1991_______ L
1992_______ M
1993_______ N
1994_______ O
1995_______ P
1996_______ Q
1997_______ R
1998_______ S
1999_______ T
2000_______ U
2001_______ W
2002_______ X

* the years 1943 though 1953 had double letters: ie, MM = 1943

As maybe seen, the year code letters duplicate; some knowledge of when the model was introduced should resolve the actual year of manufacture.

Remington owners: COPY this table to your Hard Drive......! !

another couple helpfull links: http://www.remington.com/library/his...irearm_models/

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nviss/do...Codelist21.pdf


.


I have an Remington 700 ADL 30-06 and it's stamped LO 90

the serial number starts with "A"

what year is it ?

the problem is, the "O" in the "LO" stamp, can mean either 1977 or 1994

the gun has enough wear on it to look like 1 1977 gun, but how can one be sure of DATE ?

using the same letter to mean the date in various years, is kind of stupid on Remington's part, what's wrong with just stamping it with 2 numbers for the date, like "77" or "94"

also what does the "90" mean at the end ?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-21-2011, 02:46 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1
Pre 1921 Remington Model 11A manufacturing Date

Any suggestions for determing a manufacturing date for a Remington Model 11-A autoloading shotgun (Remington UMC)? ( I saw you post this, and thought you might know.) Serial number is 190---. Everything I find on the web says 1921 and later and the barrel code on the left side ( 3 ltrs) doesn't work on the sites I find. Kinda struggling at this point. Appreciate any help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim H View Post
Remington Owners,

Remington Year of Manufacture Codes maybe found on the barrel of your Remington rifle [or shotgun] on the left side, just forward of the receiver; the first letter of the Code is the month of manufacture, followed by one or two letters which are the year of manufacture. For shotguns with removeable barrels, the code will be valid for the manufacture of the barrel; maybe for the receiver, as barrels do get switched around.

According to the "Blue Book of Gun Values", the coding continues as follows:

Month Codes: [first letter]
B - L - A - C - K - P - O - W - D - E - R - X
1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 11 - 12

Year:______Code: [second (and third*) letters]
1930_______ Y
1931_______ Z
1932_______ A
1933_______ B
1934_______ C
1935_______ D
1936_______ E
1937_______ F
1938_______ G
1939_______ H

1940_______ J
1941_______ K
1942_______ L
1943_______ MMZ
1944_______ NN
1945_______ PP
1946_______ RR
1947_______ SS
1948_______ TT
1949_______ UU

1950_______ WW
1951_______ XX
1952_______ YY
1953_______ ZZ
1954_______ A
1955_______ B
1956_______ C
1957_______ D
1958_______ E
1959_______ F

1960_______ G
1961_______ H
1962_______ J
1963_______ K
1964_______ L
1965_______ M
1966_______ N
1967_______ P
1968_______ R
1969_______ S

1970_______ T
1971_______ U
1972_______ W
1973_______ X
1974_______ Y
1975_______ Z
1976_______ I
1977_______ O
1978_______ Q
1979_______ V

1980_______ A
1981_______ B
1982_______ C
1983_______ D
1984_______ E
1985_______ F
1986_______ G
1987_______ H
1988_______ I
1989_______ J

1990_______ K
1991_______ L
1992_______ M
1993_______ N
1994_______ O
1995_______ P
1996_______ Q
1997_______ R
1998_______ S
1999_______ T
2000_______ U
2001_______ W
2002_______ X

* the years 1943 though 1953 had double letters: ie, MM = 1943

As maybe seen, the year code letters duplicate; some knowledge of when the model was introduced should resolve the actual year of manufacture.

Remington owners: COPY this table to your Hard Drive......! !

another couple helpfull links: http://www.remington.com/library/his...irearm_models/

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nviss/do...Codelist21.pdf


.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-12-2011, 09:43 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Waukesha Wisconsin
Posts: 1
Exclamation Remington Serial Number Identification

OK, for those of you who get tired of the same old "BLACKPOWDERX" answer....Not all Remington Firearms use the "Barrel Code" for serial number location.
REMINGTON (www.remington.com) Customer Service (1-800-243-9700 & follow the prompts) will look up your serial number and verify the age of your firearm. They are VERY helpful and courteous. It took less than a minute to look up my 1954 Model 700.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Big Bore Serial Numbers William Iorg Leverguns and Their Cartridges (General) 65 11-14-2014 12:40 PM
SECURITY WARNING! Putting E-mail Addresses and Serial Numbers In Posts unclenick Trading Post 23 02-19-2014 10:21 AM
Browning B-78 serial numbers FirePower Single-Shot Rifles 0 07-25-2007 04:48 PM
Energy Supplier Trouble at Remington Ilion, NY Contender General Discussion 2 09-28-2005 04:55 PM
Shotguns Without Serial Numbers: Can You Advise? ebenezer Shotguns, Shotgunning, and Shotshell Reloading 3 02-18-2004 02:30 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:48 AM.

< Contact Us - Shooters Forum - Archive >

 
 

All Content & Design Copyright © 1999-2002 Beartooth Bullets, All Rights Reserved
View Privacy Policy | Contact Webmaster | Legal Information
Website Design & Development By Exbabylon Internet Solutions
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2