After reading quite bit about the 700 and the accuracy and quality thing of the Remington 700's on several blogs, I thought I'd do some work
at the range. About two years ago, maybe three I bought a couple of Remington 700's in 270 Winchester. (The cheapest 700's on Gunbroker at the time were 270's then perhaps 30-06's.) I wanted to re-barrel and maybe restock for a 35 Whelen and a second rifle would be a 9.3x62 or perhaps a 375 whelen, or still the 400 whelen. I wasn't sure about the second rifle and time slips away.
So I have two 270's and their serial numbers don't seem to agree with the date codes. In fact one rifle doesn't seem to have a valid date code. I check with Remington, maybe tomorrow.
#1 700 has a K7 and a 18 stamped in front of the receiver across from the proof mark - serial number is 685xxxx it is the older of the two rifles.
#2 700 has a E6 and a CA stamped in fron of the receiver across from the proof mark - serial number is E649xxxx and I believe it is a much newer model.
Both rifles look to be in excellent condition, a couple of scratches under the fore arm of the newer rifle, probably due to the use of an improper hard rest. The older model has a darker and shinier blue. They have identical length barrels and have Leupold mounts. The new model has a cheap Tasco and the old one has a Bushnell -- each 3x-9x scopes. As far as the stock goes, I think the newer rifle has a nicer looking stock and I am not impressed with Remington's impressed checkering on the older model. The rifling on both rifles look to be in excellent shape -- neither one was evidently used for shooting varmints/prairie dogs and such.
130 grain Speer Rem 9 1/2 primers and RE 22 58 grains (these loads are OK in my rifle. I am not recommending them for yours)
I have shot about 20 of these rounds through both of them. They shoot about 1.25 MOA each. Nothing to brag about, but OK I suppose. Both rifles shoot this load the same -- I was expecting the older one to do better than the new one.
I have also shot a couple of other loads through these rifles that look to be more promising using Hornady inter-lock bullets and H4831SC. (Make no bones about it -- I really like Hornady inter lock bullets on game and so far H4831SC is working out very well for me in other rifles.)
Before I took these out shooting, I checked for fore end pressure on the barrel. The newer model had required quite a bit more material removed than the older one. Then I glass bedded the actions with a method that works OK for me -- perhaps other/your methods are better. I used the action screws to align the action but I did not tighten the screws. Instead I used rubber bands (surgical) to hold the action on to the stock. I glass bedded around the screws and when it hardened, I drilled the screw holes out so that they were not taking any recoil. The acra-glass in this way seems to work as 'pillar' bedding. I am just trying this method out but so far it is working for me.
On these two rifles I glass bedded about 3" in front of the action also. The fore end has clearance around the barrel. And I sealed the inside of the channel so that it wouldn't absorb moisture or at least the moisture level would not change as fast/much.
It may be a while, but after I move I hope to finish the test. But time moves on