» Advanced

Go Back   Shooters Forum > Rifle and Rifle Cartridges > Wildcat Cartridges
Register FAQ Members List Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-30-2008, 08:52 PM

List of wildcats

Registered Users do not see the above ad.

I have a room full of guns and am considering converting one to a wildcat.

Looking for a list of "standard" cases such as 30-30, 308 and 30-06 etc. with the corresponding list of wildcats that have been developed using these standard cases and actions
Old 06-30-2008, 09:22 PM
Beartooth Regular

I wouldnt bother with any of the -08 cases, not enough improvement for me..
Things to remember, if you are coverting a standard chamber, you need to turn back a thread, to go AI... Or you could go Gibbs, but requires more work. I personaly have been going Gibbs, if I have to do extra steps, I might as well get extra speed...

The improved chambers (wildcats) are more steps. To me it is more fun, and more reasons to shoot..
If you have a couple 0-6s, you could do a 30 GIBBS, and be just behind the magnums, and burn less powder.. Again, More work...

My first cat was 6.5x55BJAI mauser action,,, Fun, but I wanted more...
Then it was the 35 improved, more like a brown whelen, mauser action.
Currently I am working on a 35 GIBBs, remington action, longer mag well, and looking to get longer drawn brass from zhat. The reamer was designed for a longer neck....

To much fun...

Later...
Old 06-30-2008, 09:34 PM

Looking for a list

Still looking for a list!! If one has been compiled that can be shared

Having made that request

What I am now looking at is a 358 Hawk you mentioned the Gibbs

I have a soft spot for the 35's
Old 06-30-2008, 10:37 PM
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)

P.O Ackley published two volumes on wildcat cartridges.

Cartridges of the World publication has many.

Both of these may be purchased on the market and will give you more information than you can possibly gain here.
NAHC Life Member

"Firearms only have two enemies - rust and politicans" author unknown
Old 06-30-2008, 11:11 PM
Beartooth Regular

Here's a couple of places that make wildcat and standard Reamers and take a look at RCBS and CH Tool and Die for wildcat dies. Like kdub says Cartridges of the World is one of the best wildcat resources.

4-D Products Rentals

Welcome to CH Tool & Die / 4D Custom Die

http://www.stevespages.com/page8d.htm
Old 07-01-2008, 04:35 AM
Beartooth Regular

Richard Simmons wrote an excellent book titled: Wildcat Cartridges.
If you are looking for Cartridges of the World Z-Hat has an excellent price in their book section and considerably more on wildcats on their web site.
<O</O
http://www.z-hat.com/
<O</O
The problem with COW is it changes over the years with wildcats coming and going. You need several copies to have a representation. Most Librarians are not interested in series books or firearms and discard the old copy when the latest arrives.
<O</O
Don’t overlook “Designing and Forming Custom Cartridges” by Ken Howell. This book is available everywhere and is worth careful study.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:26 AM
Beartooth Regular

The 308 could become a 338 federal.
The 30/06 could become a 338/06 or a 35 Whelen.
Lots of data out there for the above.
Just food for thought.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:25 AM
Beartooth Regular

The "list" of wildcats changes about every third day, apparently. If I take an existing and good wildcat (like the excellent .25-308, for example) and make a very minor change such as steepening the shoulder angle by a half a degree, have I created a new wildcat? That's just how many of them ARE created - often just so the brilliant "inventor" can name the thing after himself and achieve instant fame. Uh huh.

There are darn few gaps in the picket fence of cartridges, if you consider factory and wildcat rounds. Many, many of them have absolutely no practical or discernible advantage over any other - except for that name thing.

So-called "improving" or "Ackley Improving" of cartridges doesn't actually make it a wildcat. To be a wildcat, there should be no factory-made cartridge that can be fired in the gun. A properly "Ackleyed" rifle can still chamber and fire the unimproved factory round.

Having mentioned the .25-308, which is also called the 25 Souper (yup, that's how it's spelled!), may I heartily endorse is as a very easy, fun and eminently useful little cartridge? It splits the difference between the delightful 250 Savage and the classic 257 Roberts, with the better parts of both exellent rounds. It makes a fabulous little easy-kicker for game ranging from chucks and coyotes through antelope, deer and right into caribou or other 400-pound critters. I own one and wrote several articles about it. I invite you to read one at http://www.reloadingroom.com/index_files/25-308.htm
Old 07-01-2008, 06:58 PM
Beartooth Regular

Interesting wildcats can be seen browsing the reloading die lists of Redding and RCBS
Old 07-02-2008, 11:09 AM
Beartooth Regular

Look up the shell holder list...

For your convenience, the makers of shell holders --some-- list about every cartridge that can possibly fit into that shell holder. You look at the shell holder for .30/30 case and you will find it fits everything from the .219 Don Wasp to the .38/55 WCF. .32/40. 6mm WASP. Etc.

If you are inclined to varmints, the .225 WCF is the compromise. Virtually the .219 Zipper Improved AND fits the Mauser bolt face. So you could do the .219 Don Ace on the slightly smaller rim and have a bolt action that feeds welll Any '06 gun or .308.

Try the .30/'06 shell holder and you will find everything listed from 6mm/'06 to the .375 Whelan. Same rim/ same case but way difference in bodies. .308 uses the same rim diameter and slightly different thickness. Shorter actions sometimes.

As said, Mr. Ackley did the Bible of wildcats with hundreds and hundreds listed. Books available from eabco.com, Sinclair International, etc. I think he even swaged a belt on the '06 case and had a line like that. (Today the .240 Weatherby is the '06 case with a belt and expensive!) luck.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:20 PM
Beartooth Regular

Thumbs up

Well if you like the 35 cal. which I love. You might look at the 358 STA or 35 ACK. Mag both built from a 8MM mag case one with a 35 the other with a 40 degree shoulder.. Or a 358/300 IMP. from a 300 ultra mag case. Also 358/338 ultra mag from the 338 ultra mag case. I have a 358 STA and 2 358/300 Ultra IMP. All 3 are built on Remington 700 actions. The STA has a 24 in. barrel from shilen with a brake and shoots right at 3000 fps with a 225 Nos. B/T and RL 19. The 2 358/300 Ultra's have barrels built by Brian Pinwell of the what was NWPB, now sold to Kostyshyn barrels. One is 26 in. the other 27.5 in. no brake. They both will put a 225 gr. Nos. B/T out the muzzel at 3200 +/- a few fps. 1 has a McMillen stock, 1 has a H/S stock and 1 has a factory Rem LSS stock pillar bedded.All 3 of these rifles shoot sub MOA at a 100 yds. I have killed elk ,bear and dear with all 3, if they run it isn't very far. If your going to build a 35 cal. one of these will do everything you want and then some.

Hoeram
Old 07-03-2008, 10:06 AM
Beartooth Regular

Someday, Hoeram, an orthopedic surgeon is gonna take one look at your shoulder - and order himself a new boat.

Holy Hannah....
Old 09-08-2008, 05:02 PM
Beartooth Regular

what are the Hawk cartriges then? Never heard of them sorry. Can someone please explain?
Old 09-08-2008, 06:46 PM
Beartooth Regular

http://www.z-hat.com/HawkContents.htm
Old 10-01-2008, 11:11 PM
Beartooth Regular

The Wildcatters

Back in the early '90's there was an organization named "The Wildcatters"
they put out a quarterly news letter. Membership was by an annual fee, very reasonable AIR . they were addressed by a PO box in Greenville WI.
In Sept of '94 I received an apologetic letter explaining that they must discontinue the newsletter because of costs. They (un named) said that there files were available as a membership benefit.
Life moved on. I never requested wildcat data and only recently tried to locate them thru Internet means. Dead end. Another company, in the firearms fraternity, is using the tel. # and never heard of them.
Does anyone here have info. about them?
Pepe Ray
Old 10-02-2008, 05:45 AM
Beartooth Regular

Csala, criteria for determining a chamber, if cost is not an issue get a list, I would suggest ordering a special order catalog from D4-C&H http://www.ch4d.com/ and RCBS, 1 800 533 5000.

When choosing a wildcat or improved chamber determine if brass is available and the cost of dies necessary for forming cases from an existing case. I am cutting two chambers, one in 338 the other in 308, the 338's chamber will be a 280 Remington, this shortens the neck of the 338/06 and moves the shoulder forward .050 thousands and increases the body of the chamber slightly, the other barrel is a M1917 30/06, I am cutting the chamber with the same dimensions as a 7MM Remington Mag, this will be a magnum that is shorter than the 300 Win Mag (by 120 thousands) and 308 Norma Mag (shorter by .059 thousands, the barrel will have a P14 (Enfield) bolt and receiver.

Dies for both, cost $10.00 for one, $15.00 for the other plus time and old equipment, 280 Remington cases for .10 to .14 cents each.

F. Guffey
Old 10-02-2008, 09:30 PM
Beartooth Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdub View Post
P.O Ackley published two volumes on wildcat cartridges.

Cartridges of the World publication has many.

Both of these may be purchased on the market and will give you more information than you can possibly gain here.
There were three books by P.O. Ackley to my knowledge. I own all three.

Handbook for Shooters & Reloaders, Volumes I & II, Publishers Press/Plaza Publishing, 20th printing 1994, copyright 1962.

Pocket Manual for Shooters & Reloaders, Publishers Press, 6th printing 1971, copyright 1964.

NRA Life member since '83. Patron Life member since '99.
"Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentis telum est"

"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt"

Last edited by THE ICEMAN; 10-02-2008 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 10-02-2008, 09:50 PM
Beartooth Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Raab View Post

...So-called "improving" or "Ackley Improving" of cartridges doesn't actually make it a wildcat. To be a wildcat, there should be no factory-made cartridge that can be fired in the gun. A properly "Ackleyed" rifle can still chamber and fire the unimproved factory round.
With all due respect Rocky, my understanding of a wildcat was that it was a wildcat until one of the manufacturers decided to put it on the market. Whether that be ammunition or a firearms company. The 25-06, as I'm sure you are aware, was a wildcat for many years.

I own a Rem. 721 chambered for 30-06 Ackley Imp. & to my knowledge the '06 Ackley Imp. has never been offered by a firearm or ammunition manufacturer. Even though I can fire 30-06 Springfield cartridges in my rifle to fireform to '06 Ackley Imp., I would by no means consider it a 'factory' cartridge, it is simply a well accepted wildcat.

NRA Life member since '83. Patron Life member since '99.
"Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentis telum est"

"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt"
Old 10-03-2008, 08:41 AM
Beartooth Regular

Csala, back to your original question, CH/4D has 1,915 dies available for chambers including standard, improved with 5 different shoulders angles, necked-up, necked and modified etc.,, the list is free http://www.ch4d.com/ click reloading dies, click reloading die list.

RCBS has a special order catalog that list most of the same chambers listed by CH/4D and list the case that can be used to form cases and the dies required.

There are some chambers that are not listed, cases may not he available or difficult to find,

Huntington technical department can advise, encourage or discourage a choice, they do not take long in telling someone some chambers are expensive to feed.

http://www.huntingtons.com/dies_caseform.html

The Huntington link above list the case to form another case and the price.

All three links provide a list for free

F, Guffey
Old 11-12-2008, 05:13 PM
Beartooth Regular

the P.O.Ackley books (and his opinions and knowledge) are an excellant source for wildcatting - He had definite views as to over-bore cases and what was worthwhile to do and which, in his opinion, were not - I shot a 7mm / .300 WinMag for years - just neck down and go ... just about as efficient as the 7 STW and a plethora of cases available - Darrell Holland of Powers, OR should have reamers and load data

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: