» Advanced

Go Back   Shooters Forum > Shotguns > Shotguns, Shotgunning, and Shotshell Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-23-2008, 08:55 AM
Beartooth Regular

Luigi Franchi model 48 AL barrel interchangebility

Registered Users do not see the above ad.

I own a L.Franchi semi auto model 48 AL in 12 gauge chambered for 2 3/4in. the barrel is cut at 22 in. since I only use it for partridge in heavy cover and it work like a charm.
Couple of days a go I purchase a used 32" barrel identical in all aspect with one exception: is chambered for 3" shell. The barrel is mark: Luigi Franchi EEH1114 CAM76 ( cam 76 stand for 3") .
I e-mail already twice to Franchi requesting info in regard to the interchangebility ...but no answer ..so am asking if any one out there ad similr experience.
I try the barrel on the gun and it fit, I ad it cycle the action by pushing on the barrel and it work, then carefully I put one 3"shell in the tube magazine and cycle the action again by pushing on the barrel and it load...push again and it eject .
In principal look like it work, but since the reciver is light alloy I wonder if using 3"mag. shell would require a heavy ( stronger ) recoil spring than the one on now for 2 3/4 mag shell. If this is the case any idea where to find one?
Thanks for your help.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:09 AM
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)

I wouldn't personally shoot 3" shells even with a 3" barrel in a 2 3/4" semi-auto receiver unless the manufacturer says that the gun can handle it, or you can find a gunsmith with experience that can tell you how to convert.

Are these guns recoil operated, or gas operated? The Remington 1100 shotgun has 2 gas holes in the 2 3/4 chambered barrels, and on the 3" guns there is only one gas hole. That's how they handled the pressure difference. The 1187 has some sort of different system where it can handle both, I believe. Just an example of how this can be handled, so there could be some possibility that Franchi has their own system. Other manufacturers have their methods.

If in doubt... the safest thing to do would be to continue using 2 3/4 shells in both barrels. That certainly should not hurt anything. Having the action open up prematurely and dump a bunch of powder gas back in your face doesn't seem like a good time to me!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by faucettb
Welcome to the forum. Rules are simple, be nice and join in.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:31 AM
Beartooth Regular

Hi Mike, I do not intend to shoot 3" untill either Franchi or a competent person say go. And even here the first test will be with the gun in a craddle and pulling the trigger with a rope!!
Yes the gun is totally recoil operated the barrel blow back after the shoot and cycle the action ejecting and reloading, for the 2 3/4 shell they have a friction system of a split copper bushing with steel locking split ring over to increase friction this double split ring push on a second ring one side flat against the coil of the recoil spring and the other side concave to increase the friction against the bushing ( reverse the ring with the flat end against the bushing for the light load ) It his a very reliable and uncomplicate low maintenance system.
Roberto
Old 10-23-2008, 10:12 AM
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)

That sounds like the Browning Auto-5 if I understand you correctly. Perhaps there is a way to set up the correct friction rings so you can use 3" shells in the 3" barrel on the 2 3/4" receiver? I'll confess I don't know .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by faucettb
Welcome to the forum. Rules are simple, be nice and join in.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:33 AM
Beartooth Regular

Yes the system is similar to the Auto-5 from Browning, I read once and I do not remember where that Franchi ad a magnum recoil spring for 3"....but at the time I did not paid attention since I was happy with the shorter barrel and I ad no need for the 3" chamber. Frankly I do not think that the bushing and friction ring could slow dawn the recoil farter but a stronger spring could. If it work I am happy, other wise I could use the Win, pump that I give to my son also 30" barrel with 3" chamber for geese since I got himself a X3.
And eventually Franchi should answer my e-mail ..I hope!

Roberto
Old 10-30-2008, 06:04 PM
Beartooth Regular

Up Date On Franchi 48al Barrel

10 days gone by and no answer by Franchi Spa from Italy....! This week I talk to Benelli USA and according to them the barrel is interchangable but in order to use it with 3" magnum shell I must change the spring with a magnum spring part # 12-117 M .... not available !! I was refered to one other firm that supply them with parts: Carlsons and here also not avaialble, I try Numrich and same song. Stoeger here in Canada is also out...any suggestion ?? Thanks
Old 10-31-2008, 03:55 AM
Beartooth Regular

My suggestion would be, like MikeG, not to shoot it with 3" shells. The gun wasn't built up to do it and even with the spring change (which seems to difficult) a regular diet of the long shells may damage the gun.
I don't know why you want to have a 3" gun (I'm not so sure you need it) but I would want something that came from the factory that way.
I tried to make a youth model 1100 20 ga into a 3" gun for steel loads and it never was completely reliable. Put the short barrel back on and bought an 11-87 20 that works great.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:40 AM
Beartooth Regular

Hi O'Connersun, appreciated your comment, but since I was told by the Benelli people that this model as the capability to interchange the barrels since straigth blow back ( inertia system ) and the only key piece is the famous magnum spring, required in order to be able to use 3" magnum shell, I really would like to put my hand on one.!
Yes I could use this longer barrel as is with 2 3/4" magnum shell however in our province lead shoot are outlaw for all migratory birds and the shorter shell with steele shoots reduce the effective range considerably. Tanks for the input.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:37 PM

Does that gun have a 3" receiver or 2 3/4" receiver? A3" shell will not extract when fired through a 2 3/4 receiver. most 3" receivers on franchi 48als were steel, is yours steel or allum. You said the 3" shell ejected when you pushed on the barrel, will a fired 3" shell eject? Got here empty 3" to try? Dont fire any live 3"shells till you know for sure.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:40 PM

The original Franchi Auto Loader, which is now the AL48 has interchangable parts with each other including the barrel. No do not use the 3" Barrel or shells. Also Franchi will never respond to your E-mail. Never Ever. They Say Liability reasons. Which is a lot of BS. Stick with the 2 3/4 shells. They do the job.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:49 PM

Remember as the other guy said. The ejection port has to be long enough to eject a fired 3 inch shell, which will be 3 1/4 inches when fired. An unfired 3 inch shell is the same length as a fired 2 3/4 inch shell, which is 2 1/2 inches unfired.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:39 PM
Beartooth Regular

What a wealth of mis-information. 2-3/4" and 3" refers to the overall length of fired hulls, A 3" shell is not 3-1/4" after firing. Length before firing can vary depending on type of crimp.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:53 PM
Beartooth Regular

Thanks to all, you are absolutely right! I own a useless franchi barrel chambered for the 3" shell, unless I find the reciver that go with it. I never noticed that the unfired shell are shorter than mark on the box.! Just measured some rem. unfired shell 3" and they actually are 2.5" and the 3.5" unfired are 2 7/8".
My AL48 reciver is some ultra light alloyd .
Tank again
________
roberto
Old 08-26-2009, 05:50 PM

re. franchi 48AL barrel interchangeability

i own several franchi 12 gauge 48AL's and several Churchill 12 gauge which are made by franchi the gas operated guns barrels are interchangeable i use the churchill barrels on my law12 franchi and vice versa and i have several of the recoil activated guns and several barrels chambered for for 2 3/4 and 3 inch and i use them all on my inertia activated 48AL's i just make sure i use 2 3/4 shells only in them. i tried 3 inch shells in my 48AL and they load and feed fine but the problem lies in the spent shells length because the cutout on the side of the 48AL isn't long enough to throw the 3 inch shell out of the gun so the gun kept jamming so u can use your barrel but shoot only 2 3/4 shells out of the 48AL's
Old 08-26-2009, 05:52 PM

also the 3 inch shells can blow the bolt out the back of the 48AL and right into your face so be careful
Old 08-26-2009, 05:54 PM

the receiver is made of a magnesium alloy and it is dipped in an acid bath which turns the alloy black then baked
Old 08-26-2009, 05:55 PM

also make sure the friction ring is correctly oriented or the gun will jam on low power shells
Old 08-27-2009, 08:54 AM
Beartooth Regular

[quote=huntsforhorns;445360]i own several franchi 12 gauge 48AL's and several Churchill 12 gauge which are made by franchi the gas operated guns barrels are interchangeable i use the churchill barrels on my law12 franchi and vice versa and i have several of the recoil activated guns and several barrels chambered for for 2 3/4 and 3 inch and i use them all on my inertia activated 48AL's i just make sure i use 2 3/4 shells only in them.

Thanks, I will do just that: use it with 2 3/4 sell only.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: