Shooters Forum

Shooters Forum (http://www.shootersforum.com/)
-   Single-Shot Rifles (http://www.shootersforum.com/single-shot-rifles/)
-   -   Browning or Winchester 1885 High Wall in 30-30? (http://www.shootersforum.com/single-shot-rifles/30637-browning-winchester-1885-high-wall-30-30-a.html)

hobbyguymaine 06-26-2006 07:03 AM

Browning or Winchester 1885 High Wall in 30-30?
 
Anyone know for sure if Browning or Winchester ever offered a modern 1885 High Wall factory chambered in 30-30?

A couple years ago I bought a new NEF/H&R 30-30 and rechambered it for 30-40 Krag, then had the factory fit 22 Hornet and 38-55 barrels. Nice little combo, but when I picked up a Marlin 38-55 and a Browning Low Wall Hornet and finally a Browning 95 30-40 ... the H&R break open became a little redundant and I traded it off.

The 38-55 has tang peep and could easily be scoped, the Hornet is scoped, but with 58 yr old eyes I still want/need a 30-40 I can scope for a longer range deer gun. I considered a Ruger #3 but don't like hammerless guns, looked at the Cimarron dbl set trigger High Wall copy in 30-40 (none yet available!), also C.Sharps and some of the other special order copies, and then thought that I do like my Browning 1885s - why not?

I don't want a 308 or '06 or WSM to have to set barrels back, but a 30-30 would be a straightforward rechamber ... again, and I have a scope and Browning bases that I'll never use on my other 1885 once it comes back from a 50-110 rebore, so was there ever a factory 30-30 out of the Miroku plant?

Thanks, Joe

Iowahunter 06-26-2006 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hobbyguymaine
Anyone know for sure if Browning or Winchester ever offered a modern 1885 High Wall factory chambered in 30-30?

A couple years ago I bought a new NEF/H&R 30-30 and rechambered it for 30-40 Krag, then had the factory fit 22 Hornet and 38-55 barrels. Nice little combo, but when I picked up a Marlin 38-55 and a Browning Low Wall Hornet and finally a Browning 95 30-40 ... the H&R break open became a little redundant and I traded it off.

The 38-55 has tang peep and could easily be scoped, the Hornet is scoped, but with 58 yr old eyes I still want/need a 30-40 I can scope for a longer range deer gun. I considered a Ruger #3 but don't like hammerless guns, looked at the Cimarron dbl set trigger High Wall copy in 30-40 (none yet available!), also C.Sharps and some of the other special order copies, and then thought that I do like my Browning 1885s - why not?

I don't want a 308 or '06 or WSM to have to set barrels back, but a 30-30 would be a straightforward rechamber ... again, and I have a scope and Browning bases that I'll never use on my other 1885 once it comes back from a 50-110 rebore, so was there ever a factory 30-30 out of the Miroku plant?

Thanks, Joe

Yes Browning did make the 1885 In 30-30 and 38-55 along with the 45-70 in the Traditional Hunter model. I saw one last yr in 30-30 and 38-55 NIB . I have one in 45-70 NIB They are not easy to find and pricey when you do. I'm looking for one in 38-55......

KenK 06-26-2006 02:15 PM

Ballard Rifle Company will fix you up, their rifles are quite pricey though.

What's up with the Uberti Highwalls? I read somewhere they had a new factory coming on line, someday, maybe.

flintbuster 07-07-2006 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KenK
Ballard Rifle Company will fix you up, their rifles are quite pricey though.

What's up with the Uberti Highwalls? I read somewhere they had a new factory coming on line, someday, maybe.

That may explain difficulty in getting a high wall 1885 I had ordered thru Cimarron.
Waited 6 months with no delivery.

Finally settled for the low wall in 44mag.

Bestboss 09-25-2006 12:03 PM

Don't know if you are still interested, I saw a Browning 1885 in 30-30 at Cabela's in Dundee Michigan this weekend. It was labeled as used and the price was 1099.00. I was told this was not negotiable. The rifle looked clean.

My interest was only in establishing a value on my 38-55 Browning, which is not for sale. I can't remember, but I think it had the tang sight and not the rear barrel sight.
Regards
Bestboss

flintbuster 09-26-2006 07:05 AM

I finally got an email from Uberti in Italy that my 40-65 high wall was shipping 9/21.
I am waiting to hear from Taylors that it has been recieved.
Thanks for the heads up.

Bestboss 09-27-2006 01:28 PM

Flintbuster,
The 40-65 is kind of a hard caliber to get started reloading. If you are just buying the stuff to do so, send me a PM with a phone number. If you are experienced with this caliber, let me know that too.
Regards
Bestboss

flintbuster 09-28-2006 06:52 AM

40-65 Uberti High Wall
 
I put the wagon before the horse on this rifle.
I have bought dies, reloading books, Starline brass,
and etc before I got the rifle.
I thought the 40-65 would be available.
Wrong again, but Uberti has assured me the rifle has been shipped.
My club SCSSA in Alabama is building a new 600-1000yd range with the intentions of having the midrange paper target matches.
The steel silhouttes are just to expensive.
My thoughts were that the 40-65 would me a milder BPCR than the 45-70 and would do for the paper targets.
I will start out with the 400 gr spire point commercial swagged Montanna bullets until I have a furnace and nose poured mold.

flintbuster 09-28-2006 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bestboss
Flintbuster,
The 40-65 is kind of a hard caliber to get started reloading. If you are just buying the stuff to do so, send me a PM with a phone number. If you are experienced with this caliber, let me know that too.
Regards
Bestboss

I am just getting into the BRCR reloading and shooting.
You can reach me at 205-979-4814 after 5PM Central
but best way will be at [email protected].
I check it several times each day.
Thanks,
Don

hobbyguymaine 10-03-2006 06:46 AM

Browning Hiwalls!!
 
Finally got my HiWall back from Delta Gun Shop in Coleville, WA (LaBounty's old reboring operation) now in 50-110. I ended up sending my 45-70 24" oct. barrelled tangless action along with a spare Browning 45-70 28" oct. barrel to rebore and fit to this action ... and then went right off the deep end, found and bought a used 30-30 Traditional Hunter and had it drop shipped to Jim Dubell at Delta!

Jim rebored my spare 28" 45-70 barrel to .510" groove w/22" twist, fitted it to the Traditional Hunter action with a 50-110 WCF chamber, and this rifle will eventually get a tang peep and punish me with that crescent buttplate! My earlier tangless 45-70 was rechambered to 45-90 and the now spare 30-30 barrel fitted and rechambered to 30-40 Krag - not a 2 barrel takedown, but although I plan to use it primarily as a scoped longer range deer rifle in 30-40, I still have the option of changing back to a 45-90 should I choose to.

I would've been happy with a Cimarron/Uberti HiWall clone, in 30-40 w/pistol grip and double set triggers, but dealers and importers kind of ran me around, couldn't predict much less promise a delivery date, scope mounting would've been more of an issue - the Brownings for me are more of a known quantity and quality!

Went out and shopped for a scope last night, want a 2-7 or 3-9 variable, either 33 or 40mm to keep it in low rings, and will probably end up with a Leupold by the weekend. I want to test fire the 30-40 and get it sighted in (less than a month till opening day of deer season here in Maine), load up some milder 50-110 stuff and see how that performs, and will eventually return and share with you guys!

Thanks, Joe

sbev 02-18-2009 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hobbyguymaine (Post 210819)
Anyone know for sure if Browning or Winchester ever offered a modern 1885 High Wall factory chambered in 30-30?

A couple years ago I bought a new NEF/H&R 30-30 and rechambered it for 30-40 Krag, then had the factory fit 22 Hornet and 38-55 barrels. Nice little combo, but when I picked up a Marlin 38-55 and a Browning Low Wall Hornet and finally a Browning 95 30-40 ... the H&R break open became a little redundant and I traded it off.

The 38-55 has tang peep and could easily be scoped, the Hornet is scoped, but with 58 yr old eyes I still want/need a 30-40 I can scope for a longer range deer gun. I considered a Ruger #3 but don't like hammerless guns, looked at the Cimarron dbl set trigger High Wall copy in 30-40 (none yet available!), also C.Sharps and some of the other special order copies, and then thought that I do like my Browning 1885s - why not?

I don't want a 308 or '06 or WSM to have to set barrels back, but a 30-30 would be a straightforward rechamber ... again, and I have a scope and Browning bases that I'll never use on my other 1885 once it comes back from a 50-110 rebore, so was there ever a factory 30-30 out of the Miroku plant?

Thanks, Joe

Joe
I bought a Browning 1885 high wall hunter model a couple years ago in 30-30 caliber. It was used, but looked like it had been in a gun vault...no blemishes, and in perfect condition.
Browning made this model called the Hunter and was chambered in 30-30, 38-55, and 45-70 Government. I have the 3030 and the 45-70. The 45-70 is a 150 year commemorative model and never been fired.
What attracted me to the 3030 was the outstanding wood with lots of fiddle back figuring in the black walnut wood. I got this rifle at Gander Mountain in Houston for $740. They just opened a new store and was trying to move inventory. Otherwise it would never be priced this low.
It has a rear open sight with a bead front, which is good for around 100yds. When shooting at 200, I use the folding vernier peep sight (which is made by Marble). Its the most accurate rifle I own with open sights, and consistently shoots within the "white" inner circle off sandbags. I load my own ammo which helps. It is made by Miroku of Japan and stamped on the barrel.
I hope this info is of help.
Regards
Sbev

HOGGHEAD 02-18-2009 05:22 PM

30-30
 
Buffalo Arms has some Cimarron Low Wall's in stock in 30-30 Winchester cartridge. That would be a handy little rifle. The rifles are avaliable in 3 different configurations. From what I could find out the rifles do need a trigger job. My best guess is they are made by Uberti.

I have talked to a few guys who have bought them. They like the way the rifle feels and shoots. However they all said the rifle needed a trigger job. One guy did like his double set trigger model. Tom.

MikeG 02-18-2009 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbev (Post 409153)
Joe
I bought a Browning 1885 high wall hunter model a couple years ago in 30-30 caliber. It was used, but looked like it had been in a gun vault...no blemishes, and in perfect condition.
Browning made this model called the Hunter and was chambered in 30-30, 38-55, and 45-70 Government. I have the 3030 and the 45-70. The 45-70 is a 150 year commemorative model and never been fired.
What attracted me to the 3030 was the outstanding wood with lots of fiddle back figuring in the black walnut wood. I got this rifle at Gander Mountain in Houston for $740. They just opened a new store and was trying to move inventory. Otherwise it would never be priced this low.
It has a rear open sight with a bead front, which is good for around 100yds. When shooting at 200, I use the folding vernier peep sight (which is made by Marble). Its the most accurate rifle I own with open sights, and consistently shoots within the "white" inner circle off sandbags. I load my own ammo which helps. It is made by Miroku of Japan and stamped on the barrel.
I hope this info is of help.
Regards
Sbev

Welcome to the forum. That sounds like a neat rifle and feel free to post a picture when you get a chance!

oloutlaw 02-22-2009 09:53 PM

Browning 1885 .223 ....
 
I have one in .223, and know they made them in 30-30 .... this one has a 28' tapered octagon bbl and shoots like a lazer... probably the purtiest rifle I have ever owned, the walnut is gorgeous...has hand cut checkering on the grip and forearm....this one has had a trigger job ( the first owner, I got it secondhand) he then sold it "cause it won't hit nothing" ..... I load for it, and it has proved to be close to the most accurate rifle I have ever owned ... I stuck a 6X18X55AO Bushnell Banner on Leupold mounts and rings on it, and it's done very well.........


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:58 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2