» Advanced

Go Back   Shooters Forum > Rifle and Rifle Cartridges > Wildcat Cartridges
Register FAQ Members List Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-01-2011, 09:26 AM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 217
25-264 win brass (kinda a 257weatherby)


Registered Users do not see the above ad.


ok I have read about making 257 weatherby mag brass from 7mm rem mag or 264winchester bras now everything i read states it can be done but it is a bit short.
now the big question
the barrel would have to be a custom barrel anyway so cant they just chamber a 25 cal barrel for the 264 win then all i woulod have to do is neck it down ????
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-01-2011, 11:16 AM
Darkker's Avatar
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Mesa, Washington
Posts: 1,647
Unless I missed your point, You are asking several questions that you didn't know you were asking here.

The simplest way to "tell" if you can, is pick-up a reloading manual, and study each case's dimentions. Since I don't have a book in front of me I can't tell off hand, but WHAT is short? The Neck? Short for what, the 257 Weatherby, or the 25-264WM??
If you are talking about making brass for the 257 Weatherby, although not certain, I'm pretty sure they(wby) run much higher pressure than the 265WM(7mm, 264WM, 338WM all use the same brass); and I don't know if the 264WM brass would tollerate the Weatherby pressures.

Can they chamber a 25-264WM?? Certainly! Call a reamer mfg, submit drawings and pay for the tool, send it to a barrel mfg.

Last edited by Darkker; 09-01-2011 at 11:17 AM. Reason: clarification
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-01-2011, 11:32 AM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkker View Post
Unless I missed your point, You are asking several questions that you didn't know you were asking here.

The simplest way to "tell" if you can, is pick-up a reloading manual, and study each case's dimentions. Since I don't have a book in front of me I can't tell off hand, but WHAT is short? The Neck? Short for what, the 257 Weatherby, or the 25-264WM??
If you are talking about making brass for the 257 Weatherby, although not certain, I'm pretty sure they(wby) run much higher pressure than the 265WM(7mm, 264WM, 338WM all use the same brass); and I don't know if the 264WM brass would tollerate the Weatherby pressures.

Can they chamber a 25-264WM?? Certainly! Call a reamer mfg, submit drawings and pay for the tool, send it to a barrel mfg.
ok yea I gues not clear
alot of people talk about making 257weatherby brass from 7mm rem mag and 264win but they all say the neck is a bit short

now I been tossing around either a 257 or a 264 barrel for my encore I am leaning to the 257 because i load alot of 257 stuff and have a bunch of 25 cal. however the 264 is a lot cheeper to load. now after reading all this stuff on making 257 brass I was thinking why not just neck down a 264 to 25cal. and make a 25-264 cut back the load data for the 264 by a couple % to lower the presure a bit. ????
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-01-2011, 02:07 PM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 617
My wifes grandfather has a .25-264 RM reamer and has made a few of them. My brother in-law has one right now. I'm not sure on the numbers but I believe they are very close if not identical to the .257 WBY. They also use the WBY dies for reloading, using only the neck portion, and the seater.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-01-2011, 03:00 PM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire_er View Post
My wifes grandfather has a .25-264 RM reamer and has made a few of them. My brother in-law has one right now. I'm not sure on the numbers but I believe they are very close if not identical to the .257 WBY. They also use the WBY dies for reloading, using only the neck portion, and the seater.
yea that is the impresion I am getting i emailed the barrel maker to see what they say about it
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-01-2011, 05:22 PM
MikeG's Avatar
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 27,051
Yes, when you make .257 Weatherby cases from a 7 mag, they end up a little short. Been there and did that.... I just use them as-is. Seems to work fine.

Full length cases can be made from .300 Win, but it's more of a pain and you have to neck ream.
__________________
MikeG

Quote:
Originally Posted by faucettb
Welcome to the forum. Rules are simple, be nice and join in.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-01-2011, 05:29 PM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Yes, when you make .257 Weatherby cases from a 7 mag, they end up a little short. Been there and did that.... I just use them as-is. Seems to work fine.

Full length cases can be made from .300 Win, but it's more of a pain and you have to neck ream.
yea most said they use it without problems
some said they had to fire form it wich I did not understand unless maybe the shoulder is also a bit diff.??
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-01-2011, 05:37 PM
MikeG's Avatar
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 27,051
The shoulder isn't completely formed by the first pass through the dies. Not a big deal and my fire-forming loads are as accurate as factory ammo. In fact I've killed several deer including the two biggest I've ever seen. Just happened to have the gun with me when I saw them, wasn't quite planned that way.
__________________
MikeG

Quote:
Originally Posted by faucettb
Welcome to the forum. Rules are simple, be nice and join in.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-01-2011, 05:42 PM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
The shoulder isn't completely formed by the first pass through the dies. Not a big deal and my fire-forming loads are as accurate as factory ammo. In fact I've killed several deer including the two biggest I've ever seen. Just happened to have the gun with me when I saw them, wasn't quite planned that way.
thanks i gues I will wait to hear from barrel maker then filp a coin on the 264 or the 257

probably should have head examined or just buy standard 7mm rem mag or 25-06
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-02-2011, 05:09 AM
MikeG's Avatar
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 27,051
A .25-06 will for sure be easier and simpler to feed and care for. But, sometimes you just gotta scratch that itch.....
__________________
MikeG

Quote:
Originally Posted by faucettb
Welcome to the forum. Rules are simple, be nice and join in.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-02-2011, 06:59 AM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Texas City, Tx.
Posts: 51
257 to 284

Since you like 257cal. (as I do) you might look at the 270WSM case necked down to 257, I have on and it's hot. Shoots 1/2" @ 100yrds. if you need a reamer I have one the barrel maker could use, Let me know what you decite to go with, and what barrel length you are going with. Mine is a #4 contour 24'' and i use 66.5gr. Retumbo powder. All you have to do is neck size with a 6.5 die then 257 less stress on brass, but not necessary. Al
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-02-2011, 07:14 AM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Texas City, Tx.
Posts: 51
257 to 264

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
A .25-06 will for sure be easier and simpler to feed and care for. But, sometimes you just gotta scratch that itch.....
Mike you are so right, sometimes the itch is unbearable. I've got one now a 6.5WSM, I built the 25WSM because I was pissed at Win. when they made it a WSSM. I have a NIB Rem. 308 that I was planning on building a 300WSM with, already have the barrel (premium grade air guager Douglas) and High-Tech 18oz. ADL stock. Light weight as I can get it, I know how to make the short mags. feed from a box mag. Al
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-02-2011, 07:58 AM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgr2014 View Post
Since you like 257cal. (as I do) you might look at the 270WSM case necked down to 257, I have on and it's hot. Shoots 1/2" @ 100yrds. if you need a reamer I have one the barrel maker could use, Let me know what you decite to go with, and what barrel length you are going with. Mine is a #4 contour 24'' and i use 66.5gr. Retumbo powder. All you have to do is neck size with a 6.5 die then 257 less stress on brass, but not necessary. Al
hey that would be a great idea and thanks a bunch for the offer to barrow the reamer
but the barrel will be for an encore no one will make short mag barrels for the encore I guess major preasure issues or thats what they all say
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
264 Win Mag sizing question quillgordo Handloading Procedures/Practices 5 05-09-2010 07:08 PM
Brass Re-use smokinfz1 Handloading Procedures/Practices 33 12-14-2009 09:21 PM
38 spl Brass for 357 mag mikeg1005 Trading Post 0 12-13-2009 10:22 PM
Ultramax Remanufactured Ammo - brass trickg Handgun Cartridges 13 06-20-2008 08:38 AM
Choosing Brass Smitty357 Handloading Equipment 25 02-02-2008 08:31 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:42 PM.

< Contact Us - Shooters Forum - Archive >

 
 

All Content & Design Copyright © 1999-2002 Beartooth Bullets, All Rights Reserved
View Privacy Policy | Contact Webmaster | Legal Information
Website Design & Development By Exbabylon Internet Solutions
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2