Back on the air after 50yrs - Shooters Forum
» Advanced

Go Back   Shooters Forum > Rifle and Rifle Cartridges > Airguns
Register FAQ Members List Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Like Tree12Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-31-2016, 04:45 AM
Sus Scrofa's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: England UK
Posts: 7,075
Back on the air after 50yrs


Registered Users do not see the above ad.


I am back on the air after some 50yrs. Prompted by my friendly dairy farmer wanting the magpies on his slurry pit controlled, I made some enquiries as to a suitable rifle. I was going to be shooting from a purpose built hide, so weight was not a problem and length was, it needed to be manageable in confined spaces. Eventually it was suggested that an Air Arms TX200HV would be the bees knees.
I visited my local gun store, which also happens to be a serious air gun place and found a second hand TX200HV for the equivalent of $425, as new, not a mark on it. In fact until the guy said it was second hand I thought it was new. SOLD!! He then suggested the EXACT Diablo .177 would work well, so a 500 tin of those also went in 'the cart'.
All of that is now history. I was so impressed with the vast improvements in air rifle design in the last 50yrs. This gun was beautifully made and in the UK as well, although I think it has a German barrel.
Whatever, I put on a Hawke 4 - 12 x 50 scope which has mill dots and went into my wood to get it zeroed. I was not disappointed, this rifle was seriously accurate if I did my job.
I have now had it four weeks and it has seen the demise of 39 magpies, 1 carrion crow, 1 rabbit(head shot) and one hare(head shot). One magpie was a good 40yrds and poked its head above the parapet one time too many
Seriously enjoying the discipline required with an air rifle and aiming for a half century in the next week or so on magpies

The TX200 is a superb piece of kit. However if you require an air rifle to tote around then be aware it weighs in at 8lb !! and may be difficult to fit a sling. From a static position it would be hard to beat.


The only problem I have is the loading. You have to load one at a time and my old arthritic fingers have problems bending into the small space, so I made a little gizmo which places the pellet into the barrel for me. I hope from the photos you can se how that works. The hacksaw blade obviously will bend allowing the piece of nail J&B'd into the blade to push the pellet through and into the barrel.
I made it so the blade swings to one side so the pellet can be fed in head first. Works a treat and saves a lot of fumbling and lost pellets.
Attached Thumbnails
Back on the air after 50yrs-2003-12-31-23.00.00-45.jpg   Back on the air after 50yrs-2003-12-31-23.00.00-46.jpg  

Last edited by Sus Scrofa; 07-31-2016 at 05:01 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-31-2016, 05:50 AM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: CT
Posts: 454
I still use my BB gun.
__________________
NRA Life member since 1971
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-31-2016, 06:05 AM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 492
sling shot for me ,improvements are surgical tubing instead rubber inner tubes
Bong Son Buck likes this.
Reply With Quote
 
  #4  
Old 08-05-2016, 11:19 AM
Sus Scrofa's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: England UK
Posts: 7,075
Upgrade to my loading device. I was worried that the metal to metal system may cause some slight damage to the pellet and also metal to metal the feed had to be a 'just' fit for the pellet making it occasionally fall out
Sorting through some old stuff in my workshop I came across some hard rubber pipe which looked like the same .177 diameter hole as the pellets. A quick check and I found it was a gentle press fit, so preventing the pellet falling out and the rubber did not cause any damage either. Had some 1/2 x 5/8 ally section and cut off a piece, checked the outside measurement of the tube and drilled a hole JUST smaller so the piece of tube I had now cut off was a push fit. Tried the pellet and that was a gentle push fit still. No getting excited that just by chance I had found what I needed. Fitted the 'spring' ...
old hacksaw blade ... and made up the probe which will push the pellet into the barrel. Now came the tricky bit. I had to recess the face of the tool to go over the end of the barrel. This has proved to be critical and as you can see from the photo I made a bit of a bodge of the first attempt. Will purchase the correct size drills and then convert one of the drills to cut a flat base inside the recess.
It works OK now, but once that recess is tidied up it should be perfect. I have about 36 inches of this ally so plenty to practise on and I really only need one loader/two at most. I will also sculpt the metal to aid holding it. My old adage ..... "Waste not want not" my wife berates me on a regular basis for the stuff I have stashed around the buildings but there was this 12 inch piece of black rubber pipe and can't for the life of me when I put it there 42 magpies now with this TX200HV and very pleased with it. Scary accurate.
Attached Thumbnails
Back on the air after 50yrs-2003-12-31-23.00.00-49.jpg   Back on the air after 50yrs-2003-12-31-23.00.00-50.jpg  
StretchNM likes this.

Last edited by Sus Scrofa; 08-05-2016 at 11:23 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-13-2016, 04:57 PM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 65
Air Arms are nice riles. Glad you got a good one at a good price.
For my first air rifle, A Gamo break barrel, I got one of these: Air Venturi Pellet Pen, Holds 20 .177-Cal Pellets. Speedloaders.
Sus Scrofa likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-16-2016, 12:02 PM
Sus Scrofa's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: England UK
Posts: 7,075
Final design ...

...I think. Sculpted the frame to fit the fingers/hand better. Found some rubber pipe which is exactly the diameter of the barrel so only one hole to drill. The centre hole is also just a push fit for a 177 pellet ( I like that pellet pen idea as well ) Very simple to place this on the end of the barrel depress the spring and in goes the pellet. Found that the insertion pin needed pointing more as well to fit the base of the pellet and control insertion. Works a treat and I am now trying to find a local machine shop with CNC who can turn a number out for me at a sensible price. Fitting/making the springs is not a big job. My local air gun shop says they believe it would be a good seller. Getting the price right will be the important bit.
Attached Thumbnails
Back on the air after 50yrs-2014-04-30-10.28.19.jpg  
StretchNM likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-17-2016, 02:39 AM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 301
It is always gratifying to develop your own tools and kit. Sounds like your rediscovery of air power is lots of fun.
Sus Scrofa likes this.
__________________
Eagle Scout

NMLRA Life
DRSS
NRA
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-02-2016, 01:11 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NW Montana
Posts: 10
I recently acquired a 25cal Marauder and what a blast. I started at 20 yards but that was way too easy. I'm now at 75 yards and still its a piece of cake to hit a 2 inch target until I need to repressurize. Plus its pretty darn quiet to boot.
Sus Scrofa likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-03-2016, 07:57 AM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by 308Reloader View Post
Air Arms are nice riles. Glad you got a good one at a good price.
For my first air rifle, A Gamo break barrel, I got one of these: Air Venturi Pellet Pen, Holds 20 .177-Cal Pellets. Speedloaders.
I use the same Pellet Pen speed loader but I also have the companion PELLET SEATER. Some but not all guns benefit from seating the Pellet into the Rifling. I may be talking an inch on the mile, but accuracy is the big advantage of Air Guns. All my air guns can drive tacks or put shot after shot in the same hole.

I am recent Air Gunner. Because I can legally shoot in my own back yard, I am doing a lot of air gunning now. IMHO the Springer style Air Gun offers the best Bang for the Buck. My 177 Gamo Whisper at 1000 FPS Lead Pellet is perfect for Pest Control and Back yard Plinking. If I cut notches for kills there wouldn't be any stock left. Of course learning to shoot a Springer takes some practice. The reverse recoil must be accounted for since the Pellet is still in the barrel when the air plunger slams forward.

My CO2 2250 Rat catcher is a 6 foot lb plinking carbine doesn't have any recoil or do Pumper or PCP guns. I actually shoot Geckos at 5 to 10 yards with the CO2 gun. Big Problem with CO2 is not enough power for hunting

I have the 392 and 1377 Pumpers. While they shoot great, I don't like having to pump them. Therefore I have them for sale.

PCP are great guns, but way too expensive for what you get. I have 22 rifles and a assortment of subsonic ammo starting with CB shorts. I can fill the gap between air and Firearms with these low power slow moving bullets. PCP are great, But anti firearm laws in some countries have made them extremely popular.

There are several shooting shows on U Tube that deal with Air Guns. I recommend anyone interested in air gunning to watch as many U tube videos as you can. I have learned a lot from those Videos.


.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-03-2016, 09:18 AM
Sus Scrofa's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: England UK
Posts: 7,075
Recoil on the TX200 is very minimal, due to the design but also due to the weight it must be close to 8lbs and is not the rifle to buy if you enjoy walking and stalking. Not a problem for me because all of my air rifle shooting is from static ambush positions. The rifles are not inexpensive but once you have got past that point then the shooting is very cheap. I need the challenge of hunting with mine, if you could call laying in ambush, hunting, because shooting targets gets so boring because these modern air rifles are so accurate. Maybe trying to strike a match might be fun :-) There has been a lot of activity around the farm slurry pits this last week or two as they empty the you know what and spread it on the fields. Once this is over I can settle back into reducing the magpie population further. I am on 47 at this moment and aim to be on my half century in a couple of weeks time. Started on them in early in July. I think the small song bird population is going to be very thankful next spring.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-04-2016, 04:50 PM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 167
Back on the air after 50yrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sus Scrofa View Post
I am back on the air after some 50yrs. Prompted by my friendly dairy farmer wanting the magpies on his slurry pit controlled, I made some enquiries as to a suitable rifle. I was going to be shooting from a purpose built hide, so weight was not a problem and length was, it needed to be manageable in confined spaces. Eventually it was suggested that an Air Arms TX200HV would be the bees knees.
I visited my local gun store, which also happens to be a serious air gun place and found a second hand TX200HV for the equivalent of $425, as new, not a mark on it. In fact until the guy said it was second hand I thought it was new. SOLD!! He then suggested the EXACT Diablo .177 would work well, so a 500 tin of those also went in 'the cart'.
All of that is now history. I was so impressed with the vast improvements in air rifle design in the last 50yrs. This gun was beautifully made and in the UK as well, although I think it has a German barrel.
Whatever, I put on a Hawke 4 - 12 x 50 scope which has mill dots and went into my wood to get it zeroed. I was not disappointed, this rifle was seriously accurate if I did my job.
I have now had it four weeks and it has seen the demise of 39 magpies, 1 carrion crow, 1 rabbit(head shot) and one hare(head shot). One magpie was a good 40yrds and poked its head above the parapet one time too many
Seriously enjoying the discipline required with an air rifle and aiming for a half century in the next week or so on magpies

The TX200 is a superb piece of kit. However if you require an air rifle to tote around then be aware it weighs in at 8lb !! and may be difficult to fit a sling. From a static position it would be hard to beat.


The only problem I have is the loading. You have to load one at a time and my old arthritic fingers have problems bending into the small space, so I made a little gizmo which places the pellet into the barrel for me. I hope from the photos you can se how that works. The hacksaw blade obviously will bend allowing the piece of nail J&B'd into the blade to push the pellet through and into the barrel.
I made it so the blade swings to one side so the pellet can be fed in head first. Works a treat and saves a lot of fumbling and lost pellets.
Something to consider: the black powder guys have a tool that holds the percussion caps for quicker loading the caps. Might be able to modify one for your use.
crooked creek likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-05-2016, 08:23 AM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipshot1 View Post
Something to consider: the black powder guys have a tool that holds the percussion caps for quicker loading the caps. Might be able to modify one for your use.
It is a lot easier and Cheaper to buy the Ready made speed loaders with a Seater. They come in both 177 and 22 Cal.

Air Venturi Pellet Pen With Pellet Seater, Loads & Seats .22 Cal Pellets . Speedloaders.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-05-2016, 12:50 PM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sus Scrofa View Post
...I think. Sculpted the frame to fit the fingers/hand better. Found some rubber pipe which is exactly the diameter of the barrel so only one hole to drill. The centre hole is also just a push fit for a 177 pellet ( I like that pellet pen idea as well ) Very simple to place this on the end of the barrel depress the spring and in goes the pellet. Found that the insertion pin needed pointing more as well to fit the base of the pellet and control insertion. Works a treat and I am now trying to find a local machine shop with CNC who can turn a number out for me at a sensible price. Fitting/making the springs is not a big job. My local air gun shop says they believe it would be a good seller. Getting the price right will be the important bit.
That is pretty cool!
Good luck and I hope it turns out well for you!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-05-2016, 02:51 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: I call it Far East TN and can step over the state line into West NC
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sus Scrofa View Post
I am back on the air after some 50yrs. Prompted by my friendly dairy farmer wanting the magpies on his slurry pit controlled, I made some enquiries as to a suitable rifle. I was going to be shooting from a purpose built hide, so weight was not a problem and length was, it needed to be manageable in confined spaces. Eventually it was suggested that an Air Arms TX200HV would be the bees knees.
....>>>>>>edit for brevity<<<< The only problem I have is the loading. You have to load one at a time and my old arthritic fingers have problems bending into the small space, so I made a little gizmo which places the pellet into the barrel for me. I hope from the photos you can se how that works. The hacksaw blade obviously will bend allowing the piece of nail J&B'd into the blade to push the pellet through and into the barrel. I made it so the blade swings to one side so the pellet can be fed in head first. Works a treat and saves a lot of fumbling and lost pellets.
Hi Sus. The last airgun I had was a daisy BB gun waaaay back in the day. I have been thinking about buying another airgun because I like efficiency and the somewhat quirkiness of the newer take on air powered design. Also I just like alternative ways of doing things! Good shooting with your new found friend!
__________________
Any politician who won't trust you with the weapon of your choice, clearly cannot be trusted with the power he desires over your life. -Aaron Zelman and L. Neil Smith
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-10-2016, 12:18 PM
Sus Scrofa's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: England UK
Posts: 7,075
The 51st magpie died yesterday on that slurry pit with the TX200HV. Shot four in 90 mins. They are starting to get scarce there now and the farmer is one happy bunny. About to build a more permanent hide against the tank wall covering all angles because you never ever get rid of all magpies. There will always be new ones moving in. At least with 51 dead the local songbird population stand a good chance of having successful broods next spring along with pheasants and partridges. This TX200 is superb. It weighs in at around 8lbs so not a gun to carry around, but from a static location it is deadly out to 40yrds.
I am having fun with mine RevReb. Are cowbirds legal. I know they predate on songbird nest as well.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-10-2016, 12:30 PM
Sus Scrofa's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: England UK
Posts: 7,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric# View Post
It is a lot easier and Cheaper to buy the Ready made speed loaders with a Seater. They come in both 177 and 22 Cal.

Air Venturi Pellet Pen With Pellet Seater, Loads & Seats .22 Cal Pellets . Speedloaders.
Those pens look good if you have a break barrel. The TX200 is fixed and to load you have to feed the pellet through a slot which for my old arthritic thick fingers was very difficult ..kept dropping them
Hence my little gizmo which feeds them sideways. The insertion pin does actually push the pellet well into the rifling. I'm the accuracy problem not the rifle but I'm sure you are correct about seating each one the same distance into the rifling helps in that respect.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-11-2016, 11:25 AM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sus Scrofa View Post
Those pens look good if you have a break barrel. The TX200 is fixed and to load you have to feed the pellet through a slot which for my old arthritic thick fingers was very difficult ..kept dropping them
Hence my little gizmo which feeds them sideways. The insertion pin does actually push the pellet well into the rifling. I'm the accuracy problem not the rifle but I'm sure you are correct about seating each one the same distance into the rifling helps in that respect.
Yes I agree. My 2250 carbine with scope is a juggling act to load.

But the speed loader works great on a break barrel.

.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-12-2016, 05:48 PM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UPSTATE NY
Posts: 842
I also use a Sling Shot, with either Steel Balls,? Or glass Marbles,? From the Dollar Store,In Bags of 50's.? " works for me.?"
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-13-2016, 12:59 PM
Sus Scrofa's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: England UK
Posts: 7,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDTAIL View Post
I also use a Sling Shot, with either Steel Balls,? Or glass Marbles,? From the Dollar Store,In Bags of 50's.? " works for me.?"
That takes me back many many years REDTAIL my grandfather was an artist when it came to making slingshots ..catapults as we called them and I always had the very best, which other kids drooled over.
Living on a farm there was always the odd broken bearing race lying around and a 3/8th inch bearing was lethal on anything from my 1/4 inch square elastic loaded cattie. I still have the scar on the knuckle of my right hand where one went a bit astray because I didn't centre it in the leather correctly.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-17-2017, 07:36 AM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Montmorency Co, MI
Posts: 2,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sus Scrofa View Post
The 51st magpie died yesterday on that slurry pit with the TX200HV. Shot four in 90 mins. They are starting to get scarce there now and the farmer is one happy bunny. About to build a more permanent hide against the tank wall covering all angles because you never ever get rid of all magpies. There will always be new ones moving in. At least with 51 dead the local songbird population stand a good chance of having successful broods next spring along with pheasants and partridges. This TX200 is superb. It weighs in at around 8lbs so not a gun to carry around, but from a static location it is deadly out to 40yrds.
I am having fun with mine RevReb. Are cowbirds legal. I know they predate on songbird nest as well.
Shoot all the cowbird you want esp females. Around here cowbirds are trapped and euthanized to protect the Kirtland Warblers. The warblers only nest in a few small areas and a few counties w and s of here. Millions have been spent on them.
They only nest in areas of jackpines 6-15' tall. I believe they nest on the ground and like the pines THICK but nest in the edges of those plantations. Many thousands have been planted for nesting area.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
She's back. My No4Mk2 muddly Ex-Military Rifles & Cartridges 20 06-18-2016 10:21 AM
bump the shoulder back? Blade Handloading Procedures/Practices 87 01-17-2016 08:09 PM
So... there's a man crawling through the desert... shane256 Humor 31 10-30-2013 08:09 PM
Air Rifle for Deer Hunting cemtech12 Game Pole 35 04-08-2011 03:16 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:06 PM.

< Contact Us - Shooters Forum - Archive - Privacy Statement >

 
 

All Content & Design Copyright © 1999-2002 Beartooth Bullets, All Rights Reserved
Privacy Statement | Contact Webmaster
Website Design & Development By Exbabylon Internet Solutions
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1