Why the High Prices? - Shooters Forum
» Advanced

Go Back   Shooters Forum > Leverguns > Marlin Model 39's
Register FAQ Members List Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Like Tree12Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-18-2013, 10:43 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 2
Why the High Prices?


Registered Users do not see the above ad.


'm brand new here and I have a question about 39A prices. I had one when I was a kid and I had to sell it when I went in the Navy in 67. I decided it was past time to replace it so I checked on suggested prices in Blue Book and then went looking for one. What I found were prices 50-100% higher than suggested. And, it looks like people are getting those prices.

Is that because of the Remington purchase of Marlin or just the current craziness around all prices? I'd like to find one in excellent condition but I definitely want one of the older models. Where do you think I might find one these days at a decent price?

Thank you very much. It's great to be here.
__________________
The Second Amendment is What Protects All the Rest.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-18-2013, 03:02 PM
MikeG's Avatar
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 32,540
Welcome.

They seem to go up and up and up. Good rifles, for sure, but they aren't cheap.

Good luck with your search. Might want to check the on-line auctions.
__________________
MikeG

Quote:
Originally Posted by faucettb
Welcome to the forum. Rules are simple, be nice and join in.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-18-2013, 05:31 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Welcome.

They seem to go up and up and up. Good rifles, for sure, but they aren't cheap.

Good luck with your search. Might want to check the on-line auctions.
Thanks Mike. I've got a couple of leads from spreading the word.
__________________
The Second Amendment is What Protects All the Rest.
Reply With Quote
 
  #4  
Old 03-04-2013, 03:45 PM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: on the edge
Posts: 185
I haven't seen one less than $500 in years. They have a great reputation and are in demand
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-05-2013, 01:43 AM
Davers's Avatar
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central Kentucky
Posts: 3,407
I went with my Brother to a gunshop yesterday as he wanted to buy a H&R single shot Turkey gun. While he was taking care of this, I just browsed around looking at the various rifles they had there. Well I found a Remington Model 788 chambered in .222 Remington, which was used and had a scope on it, and it was marked $550. I remember when I bought one in .30-30 back in 1991 and paid $250 for it when I lived in Indiana. When these rifles came out in 1968 they were advertised as being a rifle priced under $100!! HOW TIMES HAVE CHANGED.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-05-2013, 11:38 AM
Rangr44's Avatar
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,662
.

Yeah, well, incase you haven't noticed, gasoline is also a bit more pricey than the $0.17/gal, that I used to pay in 1964.

As far as Marlin 39a's go, the older they are, the better quality they exhibit - and why they bring bigger $$$$.




.
__________________
.

Welcome to the NSA - Our Customer Service pledge: You talk, We listen.

.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-05-2013, 12:27 PM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 3,265
The 39A is one of the finest .22s ever made, IMO, and such guns will always command a premium. Bargains can still be found, though. A couple of years ago, when pristine examples I found were going for around $450, I found a 1949 39A that was missing a forend cap screw, wearing a broken buttplate, and had been drilled and tapped (I think by the factory at some time -- has a Marlin scope base). Not a collector's dream, but a superb shooter, and mine for $225.

Last edited by pisgah; 03-06-2013 at 07:46 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-16-2014, 06:37 AM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: THAYER, MO
Posts: 1,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davers View Post
I went with my Brother to a gunshop yesterday as he wanted to buy a H&R single shot Turkey gun. While he was taking care of this, I just browsed around looking at the various rifles they had there. Well I found a Remington Model 788 chambered in .222 Remington, which was used and had a scope on it, and it was marked $550. I remember when I bought one in .30-30 back in 1991 and paid $250 for it when I lived in Indiana. When these rifles came out in 1968 they were advertised as being a rifle priced under $100!! HOW TIMES HAVE CHANGED.

I checked it on the Inflation Calculator. It says $478.93 of today's funny money is equivalent to $250 in 1991 dollars. That is a 2294.7% inflation. The difference between $478.93 and $550 could be attributed to the inflation adjusted value of the scope.

Based on $100 dollars in 1961 the inflation adjusted price today would be $792.88.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-16-2014, 07:16 AM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,980
I think you will find that a 74% inflation or a rate of 3.2% per year!

Seems about correct.
But remember in 1991 it was a new gun...today it is a used item.
Davers and Papaprimer like this.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-03-2014, 05:16 PM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Parker Colorado
Posts: 2,158
There's a 22 version of cowboy silhouette that's become very popular, these guys buy them up like crazy around here driving the prices up.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-23-2014, 03:57 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lincoln City, Oregon
Posts: 5
I bought one today. It is in fair condition. Functions and shoots great. $250.
It has an M prefix.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-24-2014, 02:05 AM
Davers's Avatar
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central Kentucky
Posts: 3,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAGTIC View Post
I checked it on the Inflation Calculator. It says $478.93 of today's funny money is equivalent to $250 in 1991 dollars. That is a 2294.7% inflation. The difference between $478.93 and $550 could be attributed to the inflation adjusted value of the scope.

Based on $100 dollars in 1961 the inflation adjusted price today would be $792.88.
Back in those days of the late 1950's to around 1970, people normally traded for a new car every two years, while making MUCH less money per week then people do today. You could buy a new average car for less than $5,000, and much better built. I am certain that the real reason for outrageous prices of today is our CHEAP DOLLAR. Not much buying power as the dollar had back some 30 year + ago. One use to place a certain amount of money in a savings account, in almost any bank, and it you draw 5% interest annually. What is it now?? < 1%.

So your comparison of 1961 dollars vs todays dollars are correct.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-24-2014, 04:09 AM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Central Penna.
Posts: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davers View Post
Back in those days of the late 1950's to around 1970, people normally traded for a new car every two years, while making MUCH less money per week then people do today. You could buy a new average car for less than $5,000, and much better built. I am certain that the real reason for outrageous prices of today is our CHEAP DOLLAR. Not much buying power as the dollar had back some 30 year + ago. One use to place a certain amount of money in a savings account, in almost any bank, and it you draw 5% interest annually. What is it now?? < 1%.

So your comparison of 1961 dollars vs todays dollars are correct.
I agree with most except that the cars were built better. I remember a car with 50-60 thousand miles was shot. Batteries tires, hoses and belts didn't last very long compared to today's. The carburator engines needed tuned every 10-12,000 miles and once they started salting roads even though they were built a lot heavier they rusted to pieces if you didn't Ziebart them. I grew up in a family that always bought used cars which we usually gave up on when they approached 100,000 miles and still buy used cars but now drive them to 200,000 miles before giving up on them.
The prices are breath taking to somebody old enough to remember the prices from years ago though.
Mike
Papaprimer and Bobwills like this.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-24-2014, 08:11 AM
Hanshi's Avatar
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 589
Certainly the M39 is THE cadillac of .22s. I bought mine over half a century ago and still have it; it's in fine condition and not for sale. The rifle cost me between $60 and $70 brand new; I'd have to check my records for EXACT price. The dollar, nowadays, is worth only .03 cents thanks to the Federal Reserve and the rich bankers who own it.
Davers and wrm like this.
__________________
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-25-2016, 05:32 AM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Allentown PA
Posts: 31
39A's are outstanding .22 rifles. They are drawing a premium price. One thing for sure they are NOT making any more JM 39A's. They will only go up in price.

PAHunter
__________________
PAHunter65
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-16-2017, 10:55 AM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 144
A factory would be hard pressed to have craftsmen build a typical Model 39, to the same standards that they were built in the 1950s and 60s, and keep it priced to compete with the mass produced rimfires that are made with so much plastic today.

Yes, I think the used Marlin 39s are kind of spendy, but you get a rifle that you can pass down to future generations, who will be proud to own such a nice piece of American Craftsmanship.

Like many, I own rifles that are far more expensive than my Mounties, but they are my hands down favorite small game/plinking rifle.


Quite frankly, pictures like this just would not be the same with a plastic stocked budget rifle:


StretchNM and JBelk like this.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-24-2017, 05:13 AM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Remote Idaho
Posts: 6,443
Good guns are ALWAYS 'worth' more and when it's recognized the quality has suddenly gone away, the early ones rise in price.
You can never pay too much for a quality gun.....but you can buy too early.

Edit to add-- Several years ago a guy asked me to find the parts to make his 1951 M39 whole again. And then went to prison for a felony. His family gave me the gun which is still in pieces. Anybody got a favorite place to find Marlin ejectors and various screws?
__________________
There is no safe direction to point an unsafe gun.

Last edited by JBelk; 01-24-2017 at 07:14 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-24-2017, 08:41 AM
StretchNM's Avatar
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Alamogordo, NM
Posts: 6,988
Marlinfirearms dot com (?)
__________________
Stretch

- "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves, and traitors are not victims, but accomplices" - George Orwell

- "In an age of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act" - George Orwell

- "If you contribute something, you don;t contribute enough. If you contribute nothing, you receive everything." - Andrew Wilkow

DON'T BE SCARED
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-24-2017, 01:07 PM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 9,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBelk View Post
Good guns are ALWAYS 'worth' more and when it's recognized the quality has suddenly gone away, the early ones rise in price.
You can never pay too much for a quality gun.....but you can buy too early.

Edit to add-- Several years ago a guy asked me to find the parts to make his 1951 M39 whole again. And then went to prison for a felony. His family gave me the gun which is still in pieces. Anybody got a favorite place to find Marlin ejectors and various screws?
Check with Jack First in Rapid City SD. Recently done a M57m. They had everything I needed which included missing and buggered up screws.
__________________
Still Learnin' as I go!

NRA Endowment Member
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-01-2017, 05:38 PM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: THAYER, MO
Posts: 1,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanshi View Post
Certainly the M39 is THE cadillac of .22s. I bought mine over half a century ago and still have it; it's in fine condition and not for sale. The rifle cost me between $60 and $70 brand new; I'd have to check my records for EXACT price. The dollar, nowadays, is worth only .03 cents thanks to the Federal Reserve and the rich bankers who own it.
$65 in 1967 equals $484.86 today. That means 13.4 cents equivalent, not 3 cents. Basically someone making $30 per hour now would have been making $4 per hour then. Based on my experience that seem about right.

The Federal Reserve is not responsible for inflation. Even countries with a Federal Reserve or its equivalent experience inflation. It is reported that in all of history there has only been one country that for one century did not experience any monetary inflation. That was the Netherlands in 1600-1700 when its economy was sustained by huge resources imported from its far flung empire that only needed to support a very small population.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
High Standard supermatic citation .22 harleysport12 Rimfire Handguns 7 05-26-2011 03:07 AM
1911 & High Power "clones" to consider tmanwell Handguns 7 04-16-2011 07:30 AM
Browning High Power 9x19 mm >>> 40 S&W? Naphtali Gunsmithing 2 07-23-2010 08:58 PM
high standard pistol info? phlip Handguns 1 03-20-2010 06:12 PM
.30 carbine shoots high Kermit Ex-Military Rifles & Cartridges 1 04-02-2009 06:54 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:47 AM.

< Contact Us - Shooters Forum - Archive - Privacy Statement >

 
 

All Content & Design Copyright © 1999-2002 Beartooth Bullets, All Rights Reserved
Privacy Statement | Contact Webmaster
Website Design & Development By Exbabylon Internet Solutions
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1