Shooters Forum banner

A few days away from the family

2K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  kombi1976 
#1 ·
Most holidays I try and make a break for the bush and do some shooting and when my mate's father asked me if I'd like to go up with him stay in "The Chalet" (as he calls it) on his small bush block about 50kms north of Mudgee I jumped at the chance.
"The Chalet" is a double garage with a sliding glass door instead of a second roller door and despite the fact it's pack full of all sorts of paraphenalia it was alot of fun to stay in.
I took 3 rifles: my little Remington Mod 6 .22LR for plinking, my 25-20 Cadet for small game and the 303/25 for stuff that was bigger or further away or both.
I turned out to have 2 decent shooting opportunities.
The first was at the neighbours place where I bagged a bunny in his horse yards just after dark with the 25-20.
His neighbour is a big Western action fan and had 2 gorgeous Cadet sporters too.
One was in .218 Bee Improved and had been fitted into a cut down P14 stock that was modified to fit a lefthander (the neighbour was a south paw).
The second was remarkable: a .225 Win Mag with a lever that had a large square loop and astounding woodwork.
It was very light on the trigger and had been built for a guy with bad arthiritis so it handled amazingly.
Anyhow, next we headed out to a farm we'd been invited to shoot on.
My mate's dad asked if we could cull some roos for them expecting an answer of "No", but Tom, the owner's son who was spotlighting for us, said they had tags and it was fine.
I started out bad.
We sighted a fox about 200yds out and I scoped it.
It looked a long way away so I placed the crosshairs as best as I could and hoped.
As I heard the bullet whistle away into the distance I knew I'd missed and the fox made his escape good.
Then I got the scope into the light and it wasn't set on 9x......it was set on 3x! :eek:
Then a roo popped up so I took aim....and missed! :confused:
Finally, after chasing some roos that ran in the direction of houses and the main road we managed to stop 3 who were in a safe place to shoot at.
I took aim at the biggest, squeezed the trigger and thumped the thing....it didn't even kick.
Then I took the 2nd with similar wallop.
The 3rd little one had clearly taken to his heels as soon as the shooting started.
I might add that Tom and my mate's dad were seriously impressed.
The 303/25 loaded with 90gn GameKings poleaxes roos.
Anyhow, we headed over to check them, etc.
To got out and wandered over to the first one and then looked back at me.
"That second roo you nailed was over that way, wasn't it?" he said pointing 20yds to the right.
"Yeah, why?" I asked.
"There are 2 deads roos here."
I got out and went over to look.
The bullet has passed through the neck of the first animal, severed the spine, exited and hit the 2nd in the face.
Two with one shot! :eek:
We headed over to where the other roo lay just to be sure and there was no doubt.
From that point, despite the fact it had been a fluke, my credibility rose.
I nailed another 4 roos, 2 on the run, including a huge buck about 150yds out moving away from us.
Then a thumped a hare and was going to take a pic when it suddenly became clear that my digital camera was gone. :(
It had obviously fallen out in a paddock when I was scrounging in the back for ammo on one of our earlier 9 or 10 stops.
It could've been anywhere and didn't have a chance in the dark.
I was low on fuel and we still had to get home so we called it a night and headed back.
The next day we spent lazing around and plinking with the Rem.
The rabbit BBQ'd made a nice breakfast.
There are some silly pics I took with a disposable camera kitted out with my pipe and pith helmet while shooting the Rem at a target tacked to a tree at 25yds.
When we ran out of ammo I got out the 25-20 and at 25yds prone shot the thumbtacks off the tree! :D
Ok, it's close range, but not bad.
So, on the one hand I lost a camera that I'd paid $500 for nearly 5 years ago but was largely obsolete and on the other I nailed a bunny, a hare and 7 roos(2 with one shot!) and had a great break.
I think that breaks about even.
Certainly better than the fiasco that was last holidays trip! :rolleyes:

See less See more
#2 ·
Told ya your luck would change ! Just remember the Old 25-303was the Cal of choice for Roo shooting for many years & I still use mine to this day on windy nights ! AS for two for one shot ! My Porffestional pride is hurt ! Esp as they were both legal hits !!!! Great stuff !

Dave

#4 · (Edited)
Here's the first pic.
It's sort of a panorama that I stitched together using three pics.
The chalet is on the left with my mate's dad standing outside, resplendent in his black beanie! :p
You can just see my dual cab 4WD Rodeo pickup at the bottom of the hill.

Unfortuantely the other pics from the disposable camera didn't come out so well but I'm going to fix that.
When I put the film in I had then scanned onto a CD thinking it was a shortcut.
Guess again! :confused:
Instead they're tiny, grainy and bad. :rolleyes:
I'll be having them printed out in standard format and then scan them from there.
They always come out huge from the scanner and ANYTHING is better than what I got on the disk! :mad:

#5 ·
Some more pics

O.k., here are some better pics.
The first is a better one of my mate outside "The Chalet"!

The second is yours truly holding my Rem Model 6 .22lr "boys rifle" complete with pipe & pith helmet! :p

This next one is of my shooting at the paper target on the tree in the centre of the pic.
If you look carefully you can make it out about midway up the trunk.

And here I am prone with the 25-20 Cadet in the process of shooting the thumbtacks off the target.
Got both, the bottom first then the top using 2 shots, and sent the target fluttering to the ground!
It was only about 25yds but not bad if you ask me. ;)

There has been a silver lining to the whole camera situation.
Apparently digital cameras are about to drop in price again.
I was talking to the guy at the camera shop today and he said in 4 weeks time a 6 Megapixel camera with the mod cons will be about $299 instead of $499. :eek:
Can't go wrong, eh? :D

#6 ·
Great pic's - particularily the ones with the pipe and pith helmut! Haven't seen one of those in years. :D

#8 ·
Well, wonder of wonders, Tom found my camera out there in the fields. :)
Gets better......there had been rain since we were and yet it still works! :D
Here are 2 good pics from the trip.
The first a better one of me with pipe and pith helmet and the second, the bunny bagged with the Cadet at the neighbour's place.

#9 ·
Sure you don't work as a male model, Kombi?

Great pic's. Glad to hear the camera survived the rain test.

#11 ·
You look so dignified and aristocratic in the "White Hunter" pose that I just assumed you had cut and pasted from some old magazine! :p

Jockey shorts we can do without (too much information)! :D

#13 ·
TOG said:
Dunno -- it seemed to work pretty well for Tom Selleck. . .

Grins,

The Old Guy
If it's good enough for Magnum P.I. it's good enough for me! :D
That said, his soup strainer puts my little lip warmer to shame and I suspect he has a little less around the waist........ :( :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.