Shooters Forum banner

How to measure proper barrel length

34K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  WnchstrLvrCltr 
#1 ·
Hello,

I am 28 and just purchased my first 94:) and have a question. I find it hard to believe that the dealer might have mis-marked the gun but I am new to this and am pretty sure I am missing something.

Serial #1.7MM which from what I can tell in the Gun Blue Book is a model 64 (if I can remeber correctly, don't have the book in front of me. Or I don't know how to use the book properly). When I measured the barrel it was 20 inches.

The Blue Book says add 100% for 20 inch barrel for Model 64 but the dealer never mentioned anything about that. I was a little worried about the authenticity of the rifle and started checking other parts (15 diamonds in the widest part of my buttplate, etc.) all appeared to be factory parts.

Here is my question.....how do you properly measure the length of the barrel?

Keeping my fingers crossed the dealer made a mistake and I picked it up for a good price.

Thank you for your asistance,

WnchstrLvrCltr

See less See more
#2 ·
Drop a rod down the barrel (breech closed)...mark it even with the muzzle...measure the length of rod. Chamber is included in rifle barrel length.

Also look for signs of barrel shortening...compare to pictures of other guns (of the same model) to see if the sight type matches, dovetail size is right, etc.

-----
Oddly, only revolvers don't include the chamer/cylinder in their barrel lengths. All others firearm types do.

#5 ·
My Findings

So after work I rushed home and measured the barrel and it does appear to be a 20in barrel:). I was pretty excited about that! But now I need to go and check the model # on the receiver.

SOSARMS.....I am curious to know how you can tell it is a pre 64 model? Can you give a brief description as to what makes you believe that! Tonight I will check to see if there is a model # on the receiver.

Again...thank you all for your help....

WnchstrLvrCltr

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.