scope adjustment dials - Shooters Forum
» Advanced

Go Back   Shooters Forum > Sporting Optics > Rifle, Shotgun and Handgun Scopes
Register FAQ Members List Donate Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-15-2010, 09:20 AM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 136
scope adjustment dials


Registered Users do not see the above ad.


I have two rifle scopes from 25-30 years ago which I need some info on. One is a Bushnell 3x-8x Scopechief Twenty-Two, the other a Leupold 4x Rimfire Special. My question concerns the adjustment rings and their markings. Both have numbered dials but no indication of the units or scale being used. The adjustments turn smoothly, without clicks. Direction of movement of the point of impact is indicated, but not the amount. Can someone give me a brief explanation of how these adjustment work, how the numbers relate to movement of the point of impact?

Thanks.

Spence
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-15-2010, 12:31 PM
Tnhunter's Avatar
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 7,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post
I have two rifle scopes from 25-30 years ago which I need some info on. One is a Bushnell 3x-8x Scopechief Twenty-Two, the other a Leupold 4x Rimfire Special. My question concerns the adjustment rings and their markings. Both have numbered dials but no indication of the units or scale being used. The adjustments turn smoothly, without clicks. Direction of movement of the point of impact is indicated, but not the amount. Can someone give me a brief explanation of how these adjustment work, how the numbers relate to movement of the point of impact?

Thanks.

Spence
I'm not familiar with the older Bushnell scopes. The older leupolds, however can be sorted out fairly easily. The ones with friction knobs (rather than positive click) that I have seen are marked with numbers which pertain to MOA adjustment at 100yds. In other words if there is the number 2 and then a few hash marks and then another number such as 4 after that, the number of hash marks denote how much correction each one gives. For instance If there are three marks between the numbers 2 and 4 (MOA) then the adjustment for each is .5" (.5 MOA) and it would take 4 "clicks"(marks) to go 2" at 100yds. If the consecutive numbers were 2 and 3 and there were three marks (four spaces) then it would denote a 1/4" change. I hope that made sense
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-15-2010, 01:13 PM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnhunter View Post
I'm not familiar with the older Bushnell scopes. The older leupolds, however can be sorted out fairly easily....... I hope that made sense
Thanks for the reply. I think it would be easier if you could see the dials, so I'll post pictures of them.

This is the Bushnell Scopechief dial:




This is the dial of the Leupold:



As you can see, there are 19 hash marks total on both, so the circle is divided the same on both. Only the Leupold has any numbers.

Spence
Reply With Quote
 
  #4  
Old 04-15-2010, 04:08 PM
Jim H's Avatar
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 1,001
i'll see if i can find any info but if i had to guess i would say the bushnell hash marks are 1 MOA ea. that would stand to reason too since it is for 22 rimfire and rarely shot past 50 yrds and most likely 25 yrds. so at 25 yrds ea MOA would give you about 1/4" of adjustment which makes sence.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-16-2010, 09:13 AM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim H View Post
i'll see if i can find any info but if i had to guess i would say the bushnell hash marks are 1 MOA ea. that would stand to reason too since it is for 22 rimfire and rarely shot past 50 yrds and most likely 25 yrds. so at 25 yrds ea MOA would give you about 1/4" of adjustment which makes sence.
Sounds logical, and that's about what I was thinking. But, there is a handbook of instructions for more recent Leupold scopes online which says that if there are 4 hash marks between zero and the first number, that means each hash mark indicates 1/4 MOA. It says that is true of all Leupold scopes. There are 4 hash marks on my Leupold, but does the info in that handbook go back 22 years?

The Bushnell has no numbers, but the hash marks are the same as on the Leupold, so the same could hold for it, I suppose. Both scopes are optimized for .22 rimfire, parallax corrected at 60 yards, etc., so maybe the adjustments are the same.

I am scouring the place for the original instructions which came with the scopes, but no luck, so far.

Spence
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-16-2010, 10:14 AM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 490
The Leupold scope is definitely marked in MOA, so each mark represents a 1" change at 100 yards or a 1/2" change at 50 yards.

I had a few Bushnell scopes over the years, all Banner models, and they were also graduated in MOA. I would bet dollars to doughnuts that your Scopechief is the same. All you can do is shoot and see.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-16-2010, 10:53 AM
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhobbybobby View Post
All you can do is shoot and see.
No problem. Both scopes are shooting right where I want them. I adjusted them by trial and error, had no problem doing that.

I like to understand how my equipment works, so my question was more from curiosity than any real need.

Don't tell the squirrels.

Spence
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-16-2010, 01:02 PM
Jim H's Avatar
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 1,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post
Sounds logical, and that's about what I was thinking. But, there is a handbook of instructions for more recent Leupold scopes online which says that if there are 4 hash marks between zero and the first number, that means each hash mark indicates 1/4 MOA.
Spence
If there was hash marks between Zero and one (1) then yes they would be 1/4 MOA or even 1/2MOA depending on how many there where. but in your particular scope there is Zero, then the number 5, that 5 is 5 MOA so each hash mark is 1 MOA in that particular scope of yours.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-16-2010, 02:34 PM
Jim H's Avatar
Beartooth Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 1,001
from what i can find in my book, your bushnell scope was mfr after 1966 and before 1971. the hash marks are indeed 1 moa incriments.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-30-2016, 10:37 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 8
Sorry, I was trying to post in another thread.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rifle Scope Questions Airdale Rifle, Shotgun and Handgun Scopes 12 09-20-2010 09:17 PM
Just ordered a new scope Jakeway Rifle, Shotgun and Handgun Scopes 4 01-03-2010 07:25 PM
Scope or sights for a Marlin 336C? StretchNM Rifle, Shotgun and Handgun Scopes 14 12-30-2009 09:46 PM
sighting in a scope... cayugad Muzzleloaders 2 04-04-2009 06:06 AM
"shimming" a scope base Lone Ranger Rifle, Shotgun and Handgun Scopes 6 08-21-2008 12:39 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:19 AM.

< Contact Us - Shooters Forum - Archive - Privacy Statement >

 
 

All Content & Design Copyright © 1999-2002 Beartooth Bullets, All Rights Reserved
Privacy Statement | Contact Webmaster
Website Design & Development By Exbabylon Internet Solutions
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1