02-27-2010, 09:00 AM
Join Date: Mar 2005
Originally Posted by 45_70Sharps
You are suppose to send the action in to New England firearms (Marlin) to have a new barrel fitted. It is very cheap to do.
If you go to their web site you can look at what your rifle is, look at the serial number and see what they can fit to it.
I suppose that the answer to your question is yes, but it depends on the version of your rifle for what they will fit to it.
I have been thinking of seeing about sending my .223 in and getting a .410 and 243 or 30-06 barrel for it. Either would be a great truck gun for coyotes and the likes.
Frames are sent to the H&R(not NEF) plant in Ilion NY which is a Remington facility, not Marlin! H&R won't fit any of the * marked high pressure barrels to any SB2 rifle frame made before 2000. You can determine when your frame was made by checking the build year code list in the FAQs and help sticky in the H&R forum at GBO. http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/board,126.0.html
You'll also find instruction to fit second hand barrels yourself, due to H&R's new fitting($25) and shipping fees, a $96 factory fitted accessory rifle barrel will cost about $160 by the time you pay to send you frame and stock in and pay their fees, tax and return shipping($19). That makes buying a used barrel very inviting, lots of used barrels for sale or trade in one of the three H&R classified forums at GBO. http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php#12
On top of that, Marlin hasn't made any H&R barrels since last year, and won't be for another month or so according to Madison Customer Support (866-776-9292), they're out of most accessory barrels right now, and don't anticipate having any until late March or April. The good news is Ilion is building a new barrel mfrg facility which will go online later this year, no more waiting for Marlin to make them.
To obtain an additional barrel(s), please take the following steps:
- Open the firearm by pressing the release lever, and be sure the chamber is empty.
- Remove the forend screw and forend.
- With firearm fully open, lift the barrel off the hinge.
- Carefully package the stock, forend and frame (receiver) for shipping. (DO NOT SHIP YOUR EXISTING BARREL.) Send by U.S. Mail or U.P.S. insured to the following address (DO NOT MARK CONTENTS ON THE OUTSIDE OF SHIPPING CARTON):
H&R 1871, LLC
ATTN: Barrel Accessory Offer
14 Hoefler Ave
Ilion, NY 13357
- Enclose with your parts, credit card information payable to H&R 1871, LLC (no cash accepted) along with the completed order form. Please include the serial number of your firearm, your name, mailing address (no P.O. Boxes accepted) and your daytime telephone number.
- Keep a record of the serial number of the returned firearm.
- All prices are in U.S. funds and are subject to change without notice.
- Due to licensing requirements, this offer is only available to U.S. residents.
- During periods of high demand, please allow six to eight weeks for delivery of your additional barrels or accessories.
Last edited by Wrongtarget; 02-27-2010 at 09:06 AM.