Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am looking for someone with appreciable experiance with 1-9 twist in .223 for best bullet weight for long range varmint. Am most interested in weights between 55 and 70. Will probably go with Varget, BlC-2, or H-335, and recommendations would be appreciated alon this line as well. Thanks in advance to those who answer this thread.
Paul

·
Registered
366 Posts
Paul I shoot a savage 10 223 with 1/9 twist. While I am still in the process of breaking it in,I have noticed that fact ammo using Black Hills 52grn match hp, 55grn sp, and 68 grn hp all shot to the same zero. The groups were at I" and I hope that will improve with the new trigger. I am sure you can use up to a 70 grn with 1/9 twist. Shooters around here are shooting 300yds + with 68 grn.
Jim

·
Registered
366 Posts
I didn't complete my reply. Varget, 748, and IMR 3031 are popular powders in our group. Varget gets the nod as it is not as temp. sensitive as 748. I have not tried it just passing it on.
Jim

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1-9

Thanks Jim, mine is a #10 Sav as well, and seems to do well with anything. Son in Law shoots competition with match 16, and swears by Varget.
Have not tried 3031 yet, but will a box or two. Have never been hopped up by vol as long as I had accuracy, and am heading up to S.D. for P-Dogs in July and will probably try all the weights. Intersting that all those weights shoot to same point of aim. By the way have you seen the CMP deal on new 223 brass? Best price I have seen in a long time.
Paul

·
Registered
366 Posts
Paul interesting about another Savage #10. I replaced the trigger with a sharps at 1.5lbs a 1-1.5 group should improve when I find the right combo bullet/ powder etc. Have a 243 parker-hale sport barrel that shoots tighter, but it has its favorite load. Post me on your pd hunt I may try that myself. Right now i am looking for coyotes. My wife and I went to school in Omaha and I still Have relatives there.
Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts