Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,204 Posts
I assume you're talking about a 22 center-fire? The answer is no. 50 gr. bullet shoot just fine. In my rifle, 55 gr shoots a little better.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
depends upon the cartridge/velocity? I ordered mine special as I wanted to shoot ONLT 50 gr V-max at 3200 fps. I get less than 1/2 inch groups (usually smaller at 100 yds). lots of AR guy are shooting 1:9 twist with 50 and 55 gr bullets..they seem to shoot ok for plinking and varmints under 200 yards. My guess is that 60-65 gr would shoot better than 50 grs.

·
The Shadow (Super Mod)
7,154 Posts
Yeah, use the twist for the math, but the important thing to know is the RPM.

This should help you.

Reactions: MZ5

·
Premium Member
14,204 Posts
I bought a CZ-527 European Varminter, 223 with 1-9 twist, set the barrel back and rechambered for tight necked 222Rem. It has amazed me many times with small groups from 40 to 63 grains, but 55 grain Nosler BTs are the favorite....and what I have the most of. Funny how that works out!

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,443 Posts
I have yet to have a 110 grain Vmax come apart out of the 300RUM if that helps.

RJ

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will build a 219 D Wasp load 2800 fps range. Using a Martini action. Have always used 50 gr. bullets. I have a 1-9 twist barrel that I need to use up before I quit shooting (I'm 81 now!) I may try 50's and go higher if I need too. Thanks for the help.

·
The Shadow (Super Mod)
7,154 Posts
I will build a 219 D Wasp load 2800 fps range. Using a Martini action. Have always used 50 gr. bullets. I have a 1-9 twist barrel that I need to use up
2800 with a 9-twist is only 224,000 rpm. So unless you have a really rough barrel, you can shoot the lightest of jacketed bullets(TNT, Dogtown, SPSX, etc).

Cheers

Reactions: shooterPaul and MZ5

·
Registered
3 Posts
G'day guys
I have a Remington VTR .223 1:9 twist I don't shoot any of the lighter projectiles, I used too
Until I started playing with Lapua 77 grain Scenar projectiles 8 shot groups yes odd number of rounds but 1 hole at 150 meters target shooting , and head shots for rabbits and roo's
I also really like the Hornady 75 grain ELD-X
Same again 1 hole groups at 150 meters for hunting excellent for pigs , goats and dogs
Absolutely DRT still extremely accurate out to 400 yards I seat these a very long way out of the cartridge so I can get more powder in the boiler room to get a little more distance and hold kinetic energy up , I have had to modify the magazine , too suit the longer projectiles
But well worth it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts