Shooters Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have two loads,one at 7/8 and 1 oz but at the same FPS(1200)I would assume the lighter one would give you lesser recoil,correct?thanks. I'm looking for a lighter recoil from my 12ga auto.That seems to be about as low as I can go and still cycle the gun.Old MR.arthur-itus seems to be kicking in,and I don't want to give up the sport.:(

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I use the Claybuster 7/8oz wad, and Red Dot, with a #8 shot. There is enough density and energy to work well even for 16yd trap through a full choke.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Correct the heavier the payload, the more recoil you will have.
True, if the velocity is the same and the same gun is used. I prefer 1 oz loads of 8s at 1200fps for 16yard competition and the 1st shot of doubles. But, a friend in his 80s does well with 7/8th oz loads. You can further reduce recoil by going down to 1150fps if they still cycle the gun. Lower velocity also tends to tighten the pattern using the same choke. You might also consider putting a mercury recoil reducer in either the magazine spring or the buttstock to further reduce felt recoil.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tried 1150 and the gun wouldn't cycle as I shoot an auto.I haven't been back to the range yet but I put 6 oz weighted shells in the front of the mag and 6 oz in the butt stock.That should help some.sj

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.