Shooters Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a 1909 Mauser. It has a # 1 Shilen barrel. It is much different that a # 1 Shaw barrel. The Shilen is a feather weight barrel. I ordered a Boyds stock but the barrel channel swallows the barrel. I called Boyds and they said they do not offer a stock that will fit that barrel.

So now I need a stock. Any suggestions???

Darin

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,225 Posts
You can always fill the stock channel with bedding epoxy to obtain a close fit.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
I think kdub's method is one of the best solutions to your problem. I usually just hog out extra material and full legth glass bed my barrels when using stocks with generous barrel channels, that way I can lay a stiffiner (either aluminum bar stock or titanium tubing) in the channel and epoxy it in, and I am assured of not getting a warped barrel channel later on. After bedding, remove just enough material to free float the barrel.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,225 Posts
Not if you do it right. The rifle bedding kits come complete with epoxy mix, color additive and release agent for the metal, plus a full instruction sheet. Add the color to the epoxy mix to match the wood of the stock and it will look OK. Think that would look crappy as compared to the gaping barrel channel as is?

·
Inactive account
380 Posts
Another option, which I have used with decent success, is to use veneer to fill gap. I do woodworking for a hobby and have various pieces of veneer in different woods. I wet the veneer, making it bendable/shapeable to barrel channel and then glue it inplace with a polyurethane type glue. Clamping is a pain, but doable. Veneer is thin, so I've used up to 5 layers to fill a gap. Once I'm satisfied with thickness of veneer layers, then sand veneer to fit barrel. Of course, I've also just shaped a solid piece of wood to fill gap, glued it in place and etc. Once again, a pain to do, but doable.

·
Banned
637 Posts
For use as filler you can mix sawdust from the wood you're working with the epoxy to get an even closer match than the dye will give you.

I like the veneer idea! I've never tried that.

You could also cut and fit a new block of wood in the barrel channel and then inlet that but that would be almost as much work as getting a stock blank and doing the inletting.

·
Inactive account
788 Posts
Your other option is to fill in the barrel channel with solid wood and then inlet the barrel channel from scratch, if there is that much difference. You could use a square channel or round router bit and then glue in a matching piece of wood. This would give you a much harder to detect gap filling technique. The challenge might be the chamber area and whether or not you want to (need to) clean out that area as well.

·
Registered
30 Posts
What did boyds send you,a heavy varmint cut? I would send them the stock back and ask them for one with a light barrel contour then bedding will be a option if it is still to big.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They sent me one with a # 1 barrel channel. When I called they said it was for a Shaw # 1 barrel. The Shaw # 1 barrel is much larger that the Shilen # 1 barrel. It swallows the # 1 Shilen barrel.

I am waiting to get the gun back from the gunsmith now. I guess I will worry about the stock after he is finished with the metal work.

Darin

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.