Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just customized two new 10/22's and am experiencing a new problem. I installed a volquartsen target hammer/springs utilizing the required bushings, and now the safety mechanism on both rifles frequently (almost always) sticks when trying to switch it to the "Safe" position. If I continue to fiddle with it, without changing anything else, they will eventually move all the way to the safe position. I hope someone has some good advice, these rifles are definatley not leaving the shop until the problem is resolved.

·
Registered
110 Posts
If you take your trigger unit out of the rifle you'll see that the safety a slot in it, to allow the hammer/sear to fire. When you move the safety across, to safe, you'll see that the slot moves across and the solid part of the pin is now positioned to block the operation of the trigger/hammer/sear. What you may have to do (I did it to 2 guns, 1 when I installed a new hammer/sear and once when a friends gun fired on safe?) is take apart the unit and SLOWLY stone the sear (the L shaped piece where it contacts the safety). Don't change the angle and only stone the smallest amount, reinstall and retest. There are a few books out there showing you how to do it, it's not hard but don't try it if you're not mechanically inclined. You said you installed some of the trigger parts already so I figure you must know what you're doing. When completed, set it on safe and try to fire it(EMPTY CHAMBER OF COURSE), thump it and slap it to make SURE it will not fire on safe. Any concerens, see a smith.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the good advise. A little emery cloth on the sear solved the problem on both. I've installed over 30 volquartsen hammers and have never run into this problem. I'm inclined to say that I want the old 10/22 components back.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Power Custom and Volquartsen both mention that you may need to smith your safety a little when you install their HST groups. Ive found videos on YouTube that show installation and I think I recall seeing videos on the safety mod as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts