Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone asked me to post this although it might need to moved.

A quick and easy way to check your hand loads with no danger of an accidental discharge is to remove your bolts firing pin. You can then insert a live bullet and close the bolt. You will notice a very light friction as the bolt closes which gives you and indication of just how well you set up your reloading dies. If the shoulder is too far forward you will not be able to easily close the bolt. If it is too far back the bolt will flop closed. This is a quick way to test your reloads. On a Remington Model 700 all that is required to do it is a dime. To make life easier this is a pictorial how to.

1. Take your bolt out of the rifle in the usual fashion. Note the index on the bolt housing which shows the firing pin in the cocked position. Remember this position because you will need re-align the firing back into the cocked position when you re-assemble the bolt.

2. Now you have to compress the firing spring to insert dime. Yes, we're using a dime.There are two easy ways to do it. Use a piece of 550 parachute cord to pull the firing pin assembly back or just lay the bolt assembly along side of a wooded table in your shop and pull down. The method I show is using the table because I'm in the shop and it's handy.

3. Pulled down will raise the firing pin spring assembly up and you can insert a dime into the slot as shown.It will be a perfect fit.

4. The firing pin index will show it is raised up and out of the bolt housing once the dime is inserted.

5. Now you can just unscrew the firing pin and re-insert the bolt back in the chamber to run your case tests.

When you're done just clean the firing pin of excess grease or oil and put a little on the firing pin house screw and re-install the firing pin in the reverse order. Don't forget to re-align the cocked pin into the bolt housing. This is a simple, quick and and easy way that really costs you nothing.
Lp

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,781 Posts
A method used for some time by hobbyists and 'smiths, but one with great illustrations and texts that can benefit all M700 owners, plus others with similar type firing pins.

Let's make a "sticky" out of this and thanks to Lowpower for the post.

·
Registered
12 Posts
A good method to remove a 700 bolt...in a pinch, or if you only do it once in a great while. But there are simple, inexpensive "firing pin removal" tools for those who have several Rems or do it often. I think many advanced reloaders use the feel of the "bolt close," every time they reload.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts