Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hello everyone,

I bought an Armsport double barrel 10 gauge new in 1976. I noticed from reading various forums that the maximum magnum load (it is a 10 gauge magnum) is 109 grains (3.99 drams) of powder, and people said Blue Dot was good to use. I bought some 00 buckshot shells that said charge bar 1060 -- does anyone know how many grains or drams of powder that is? A friend gave me a Mec 10 gauge reloader new years ago, and I would like to start reloading 10 gauge shells now. I would appreciate any comments or info. Thanks in advance.

Lance Fontanne, Rockford, Illinois.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Step one - Go to Ballistics Products page and order their 10 gauge reloading manual. Second, buy a scale. I would not rely on a charge bar to be all that accurate, because they aren't. I believe the powder companies now have their reloading data online too. Reloading shotguns is not like rifles - don't screw around with the recipes much at all. The first signs of over pressure you get may be the last.

·
Registered
560 Posts
That 109 grain charge is for blackpowder. If you load 109 grains of blue dot you are going to turn your gun into shrapnel! As was mentioned go to ballistic products and order the appropriate manual, and get the current edition of lymans shotshell manual.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I load for a 10 gauge and second their suggestions. the BPI manuals are excellent, both the "Mighty Ten gauge" and the buckshot manual.

Again, BE CAREFUL-DO NOT SUBSTITUTE COMPONENTS.

Don

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello everyone,

First off, thanks for the replies. I do intend to buy the "10 gauge reloading manual". 12 gauge shells are so reasonable, I will just continue to buy the factory shells. I have a scale and a micrometer setting powder measure already, and yes, based on recommendations from previous threads on this forum, I think it would be best to manually charge each shell with the powder measure and not rely on the charge bar. Thanks again for everyone replying.

Lance, Rockford, IL.

·
Registered
40 Posts
charge=bar 1060

Hello everyone,

I bought an Armsport double barrel 10 gauge new in 1976. I noticed from reading various forums that the maximum magnum load (it is a 10 gauge magnum) is 109 grains (3.99 drams) of powder, and people said Blue Dot was good to use. I bought some 00 buckshot shells that said charge bar 1060 -- does anyone know how many grains or drams of powder that is? A friend gave me a Mec 10 gauge reloader new years ago, and I would like to start reloading 10 gauge shells now. I would appreciate any comments or info. Thanks in advance.

Lance Fontanne, Rockford, Illinois.
charge=bar 1060=1046 atmospheres =14.7psi X1046=15,371.96psi. Sounds a bit on the high side. That would be a proof load so probably doesn't mean the pressure kind of bars? I saw the same thing on a .410 Remington shell 3"

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all for the replies - - - I did buy the 2 books suggested and have had great luck with getting all the right info the first time. Using the mylar wraps, lead 0000 buckshot at 2-1/4 oz with no shot cup, I have had 3-1/2 foot patterns at 150 feet. Twelve quad 0 shot with max load goes through 2 inches of wood easily at 150 feet - - 32 grains of 800-X powder. I weigh every charge individually. From 70 feet, we took a shot at a junked Camaro and the shot went through the driver's door, through a junk fender in the middle of the car, through the first inner panel of the passenger door, and half made it out the other side. (where they did not hit the extra inner bracing of the door). The 0000 shot is .38 caliber.

Lance

1 - 7 of 7 Posts