Shooters Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm seeking informations about a 10 gauge side by side. I hunt with an old 12 gauge that I want to change and came to an advert about this old 10 gauge made by M.E. Kennedy. I tried to check that company on the web without success. Anyone can help?

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,101 Posts
How old? There were a lot of "hardware store" brands, back in the day. Sometimes you can find a cross-reference to see who really made it. Did you look here:

www.e-gunparts.com

Good luck.

·
Inactive account
865 Posts
Be very careful. Being that old it is very likely to be damascus barrels in which case I seriously advise against shooting it. You might take it to a qualified gunsmith to be checked. Goatwhiskers the Elder

·
Banned
1,069 Posts
If its vintage 1870 don't shoot modern ammo in it. It was probably made for low-pressure black powder loads and very probably shorter ones than the hunkers of today. The 10 gauge of yesterday and the 10 gauge of today are two entirely different beast!

·
Banned
397 Posts
Most of the modern 10 gauge ammo floating is 3 1/2 inch stuff.
Your gun might shoot the standard old 10 gauge which I believe
is 2 7/8 inches. If it is don't shoot the 3 1/2 inch shells in it, and
of course as the guys above already said if it's a black powder gun
you must use black powder loads.

Zeke

·
38,101 Posts
How do I find out if it's possible to use modern day ammo with it?
Just don't. Or get barrel inserts that step down to another gauge and have enough meat in them to contain the pressure by themselves.

My dad has an old side-by-side hammer double 12 that has been in the family for generations, but he got .410 inserts so he could still hunt with it. Not worth risking body parts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
These low-pressure black powder loads are still on the market? I mean a 10 gauge is a powerful gauge, these black powder loads should be sufficient for hunting if they were back then? I might just buy the gun and use it with these shell?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I must be confused here, that 10 gauge use shell. so I should be able to use modern 2 7/8 shell in it? Or is it the shell itself that is black powder loaded? 'coz it's definitely not a black powder gun that you load by the tip of the barrel.

·
38,101 Posts
Just because it's not a muzzle-loader does not mean it is safe for modern smokeless loads. Chambers may be even shorter than 2 7/8", for example.

I simply wouldn't shoot anything that old without taking it to a gunsmith first who specialized in such things. You have no idea how it's been treated over the years, and at a minimum, need to ensure that it is not damascus.

·
Inactive for over a decade
6,248 Posts
Damascus is the process by which barrels were made. Gunmakers twisted thick steel wires around a mandrel that made the bore. The wires were silver soldered together and hammered smooth and polished. Its quite a bit more complicated, but that is the general process. Its not very strong and because disimilar metals were used, they corroded internally. Anything that age is going to be very weak. Its a wall hanger if you do buy it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.