Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I am new to the forum, with a couple questions about reloading 10 mm auto. While I am not new to reloading rifle calibers, I only started reloading for pistol recently and then only .38 special. I just acquired a Rock Island 1911 in 10 mm and I want to reload for it.

First, is there any strong preference of die brand for this cartridge? I have a set of RCBS for .38 special and they work well for me, but in the past I had good experiences with Lee rifle dies.

Second, everything I read indicates a tamper crimp Is required on this cartridge but Ive only found one available jacketed bullet that has a cannelure- almost all are smooth. So I am unsure how any crimp secures the bullet. Is there a special technique for ensuring reliable feeding, safe ammo?

The bullet I ordered with the cannelure is a Sierra 165 grain JHP. I have Star line brass on order, Bullseye and W231 powder on hand, and will try getting CCI 300 primers to get started. Thanks in advance for any helpful insights, it’s already been a helpful forum just reading old threads here.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I think that any of the die companies will do well to serve your needs. I imagine that I have at least some of every brand known and don't find too much difference in them. I kind of prefer Redding or RCBS myself, but all the other brands to well to. Many on this forum have gotten me using the Lee factory crimp dies for my auto loaders and I think that these do an excellent job for loading autos. I'm sure that some here will give suggestions on dies and the use of taper crimps as well. Good and happy reloading to you.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,876 Posts
Welcome to the board.
Reloading dies are your preference. RCBS, Redding, Hornady, Lee, etc. All get the job done.
A taper crimp is used for cases that headspace on the case mouth and has no rim to do so.. A rolled crimp will not work in this instance. Taper crimps work on smooth bodied bullets and needs no cannelure. The powders and primer selection you have will work fine.

Reactions: sparkyv and Darkker

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think that any of the die companies will do well to serve your needs. I imagine that I have at least some of every brand known and don't find too much difference in them. I kind of prefer Redding or RCBS myself, but all the other brands to well to. Many on this forum have gotten me using the Lee factory crimp dies for my auto loaders and I think that these do an excellent job for loading autos. I'm sure that some here will give suggestions on dies and the use of taper crimps as well. Good and happy reloading to you.
Thanks. I must have read some of the same threads, I too became convinced of the value of the Lee factory crimp die.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the board.
Reloading dies are your preference. RCBS, Redding, Hornady, Lee, etc. All get the job done.
A taper crimp is used for cases that headspace on the case mouth and has no rim to do so.. A rolled crimp will not work in this instance. Taper crimps work on smooth bodied bullets and needs no cannelure. The powders and primer selection you have will work fine.
Thanks for explaining that. I have a large library but somehow missed the fact a taper crimp works without any cannelure present.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yup, kdub covered it well. I use the 4-die Lee die set, I have had success with the FCD. W231 is not a bad place to start, but you might consider eventually using Blue Dot and Longshot to really stretch out the 10mm's legs. You can get much more info at the 10mm-firearms forum.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup, kdub covered it well. I use the 4-die Lee die set, I have had success with the FCD. W231 is not a bad place to start, but you might consider eventually using Blue Dot and Longshot to really stretch out the 10mm's legs. You can get much more info at the 10mm-firearms forum.
Thanks for the reply.
When I was picking up primers the other day I saw a pound of Blue Dot on the shelf and remembered I’d seen that often in the 10mm reload data so I grabbed that too & orderEd a 4 die Lee set. I did start following the 10mm forum and a 1911 forum. It’s amazing how much detailed info is available at our fingertips these days. Even the manufacturer sites have helpful advice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts