Shooters Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Inactive for over a decade
6,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a mystical figure. It seems as if that is the bench for comparison. Today I got to shoot that distance, with my old M1 Garand and 155 grain Nosler bullets. Today, I hit that gong repeatedly with my M1 and its iron sights. Its just a CMP rebuild Garand with standard sights, the handloads are just IMR 4064 with Nosler Custom Competition 155 grain hollow point boat tails and Rem 9 1/2 primers and commercial cases.

I'd say that was a great achievment for me personally, I was just sitting on the ground.

It was a might overshadowed by the group of guys I was shooting with, all in their 70s, all shooting Winchester or Savage lever guns, 1886s (45-70, 45-90) 1894s (38-55,25-35) the 99 was a .250 Savage, those guys all knocked over various sized steel silhouettes from 50-500 yards, offhand, and one guy was hitting that 1000 yard gong just as reliably as I was.

Next Saturday I'll work on some more off hand shooting.

·
Registered
7,839 Posts
My farthest is 360 yards. How much did you have to holdover?

·
6,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
None, the Garand rear sight easily adjusts to 1000 yards, and it goes quite a bit further than that.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Good job Matt. I myself, never shoot offhand. There is always a tree, monopod, bipod or fence post near by. I know this wasn't a hunting situation, but if it were, Id never take the shot. Offhand shooting leaves too much room for user error IMO.

·
Banned
1,484 Posts
civilian marksmanship program... at one time marksmanship within the civilian population was a priorty to the govt. and they sold all kinds of military surplus weapons, including handguns to the general public.

·
Inactive account
330 Posts
for most folks shooting at 300 yards is a humbling experience. I remember consistently shooting and hit what I was aiming at with our service rifles at 600 yards. Earning leg points in combat matches were always the goal. Shooting at 1000 yards puts many factors in play that most don't even realize. Not only watching the range flags but mirage movement at the different ranges could really give you a feel for multiple forces the bullet would encounter on its looping patch to the target.

Good shooting Matt, I understand your accomplishment.
GF

·
6,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was hitting plenty of the silhouettes offhand and sitting myself, I was pretty impressed with the old Garand.

Tang, that is a plenty good reason to practice offhand shots. I never take them while hunting, but practice is good, and a steel silhouette doesn't care if its poorly hit or missed.

VAIKYRIE- the CMP is a Gov't organization that sells military surplus M1 Garands, 1903s, .22s, Krags, & M1 Carbines to the public. They have all different levels of guns, they rebuild many of them to arsenal specification and to assure proper and safe functioning. I have two CMP guns and a original Winchester that was purchased by a returning veteran. The Win is set up for National Match competition, but I don't shoot it much.

I don't believe the CMP has ever sold handguns, and they don't sell anything that was ever full auto including M14s and M16s.

Their website is: www.thecmp.org

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
i ll never again shoot off hand[just too shaky] but give me a decent woods rest of some kind an ill likely hit what im shooting at..
now having said that 4-5 hundred is my max..any further an i gotta be hungry..:)slim

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,761 Posts
Very impressive and I'll bet a lot of fun. You're fortunate to have an environment with good shooters and opportunities to enhance your capabilities. Around here, I'd have to climb some fences just to set things up.

Dan

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I'm impressed too. In my years of shooting i've never tried anything close to a 1000 yards with or without iron sights.

My youngest son's father-in-law regularly competes in blackpowder cartridge events that run to a 1000 yards. Been promising myself I'd go and see what they are all about.

·
6,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm not sure, but the front sight on the Garand completely covers it. I think its 36" x 36" and its suspended 24" off the ground.

I gotta admit that seeing the 45-70 do that was pretty cool, and seeing a lever gun do it was even better, seeing it done off hand was even better, and finally seeing a 70+ year old guy do it was tops. I'm not age biassed, more the other way around, but often I hear older people (like my 58 yo dad) say he can't do all kinds of stuff, which I think is totally bogus.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.