Shooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been wanting a large bore pistol for a while. Been shooting .44 mag RH’s for awhile and reloading for them for at least 10 years. I’ve been saving for a DE in .44 mag for a while even started building a holster for it. So the 10mm has now entered the picture and for the cost of the DE a couple more has entered that same picture. All the posts about the 10mm Glocks and 1911’s I found we’re older post. I would like some up dates and your experiences. Thanks

·
The Shadow (Super Mod)
7,155 Posts
Had several 10mm's. Excepting for the Glock, the rest weren't built to take full 10mm loads. Most ammo you but is running 40 pressures, full 10 loads will beat and batter slide rails pretty significantly.
The Glock seemed to be built strong enough to not have that issue with slide speed.

Cheers

·
Registered
557 Posts
I'd like to recommend that you consider the Glock G40 instead of the G20 as the longer barrel and slide provides some definite benefits.

1st, the sight radius is 28% longer on the G40.
2nd, the 1.6" extra barrel length produces added velocity. With premium ammo or handloaded ammo using modern powders, the velocities it can produce are significant.
3rd, the extra mass (approx 4.75 oz) of the longer slide and barrel centered at the muzzle gives it better pointing and reduced muzzle climb.

I developed the 6" G20/21L convertible Glock in 2004 with my development of this using a G21 German steel aftermarket slide and a 6" Jarvis 45acp blued steel barrel as well as KKM's first ever 45-10MM stainless steel conversion barrel I had them make for me.

Here is a picture from fall 2004 showing my newly developed dual caliber pistol:

The Glock G40 is a duplicate of this one with a 6" slide and barrel and I can attest that after some 9,000 rds of hot 10mm (Why shoot mild 10mm as that's what a 40s&w is for!) it's still a joy to shoot and a formidable SD weapon both in town and in the Rockies.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I have owned a Glock G40 10mm for a little over 2 years now .
I am not expert marksmen when it comes to handguns and I only ever shoot it at 3-7 yards which iirc is the average self defense shooting distance . As far as accuracy goes , I bought some blue torso paper targets but they are only half the size of a actual torso . At the ranges I mentioned you can dump all 15 rounds as fast as you can and keep them in the torso . Some friends who never shoot pistols can manage 10-12 out of 15 into the torso .

I have a KKM 7.25" threaded barrel but it jams alot , ive read this can be a issue with KKM barrels the feed ramps need polishing . So I put the factory barrel back in with zero reliability issues . One thing Ive noticed with my Glock is when you put the magazine in , you should use a bit of force and make sure it is secured and clicks in .

I met a Homeland Security employee last week at the range and he was shooting his issued Glock 17 , he said they work better the more rounds they have put through them . He said he had about 10,000 rounds through his . I let him shoot the G40 and I think he fell in love with it , he said it felt better in the hands than his G17 . The g40 slide isnt just a lengthen G20 slide either , it has lightening cuts inside the slide to reduce its weight.

Most 10mm ammo is loaded to 40 s&w specs , but you can get the SIG 10mm ammo somewhat cheap and its a bit hotter than most factory ammo , it has around 650 ft lbs of muzzle energy . If you want full power 10mm ammo you're looking at Buffalo Bore or Underwood or someone similar .

The question I always get asked when I let someone try out the 10mm is how much power does it have . Im not sure what they mean , are they asking how much muzzle energy it has or what can the round do .

Heres a video of the 10mm punching through 1" bulletproof glass .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDvzul3rvTk

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,445 Posts
I'd compare its "power" to a .357 shooting 180's (?)

I can only base that on having shot two 10 mm's , a Kimber Elite and a Glock. Looking at reloading numbers the two (loads) are pretty close.

RJ

·
Registered
469 Posts
I'd compare its "power" to a .357 shooting 180's (?)

I can only base that on having shot two 10 mm's , a Kimber Elite and a Glock. Looking at reloading numbers the two (loads) are pretty close.

RJ
Thats about right , looking at buffalo bores website they are within about 40 fps of each other with 180grs
with a 5" barrel . But with the G20/40 you have 15 rds vs a revolver . I have read of guys in Alaskan switching to G20s for protection while in the woods . Though there are 8 shot 357 magnum revolvers , I guess it comes down to whatever someone is comfortable with .

I dont really have a preference when it comes to things like caliber or brands , I bought the 10mm because its a cool round and has a neat history behind it in my opinion . I had looked at 1911s in 10mm but I wanted a long slide with a double stack mag . I found 10mm 1911s with long slides and them with double stack mags but not in the same pistol . Also if you want to go overboard CMMG sells a 30rd 10mm Glock mag that works with the G20/40 I think for 25 or 29$ .

You can spend all day or forever trying to justify or rationalize a specific gun/caliber but really it comes down to do you want it ?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I shot the G29 a few times. It was fun, but definitely less than practical. I believe that the benefits of a 10mm over a .40 are most likely only going to be realized out of a full size. It's a great round, but it needs the longer barrel.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I investigated the options and then Bought a Gen 4 G21 45ACP.

I then Bought a Storm Lake 10mm 6 inch barrel and then bought 3 Glock 10mm Magazines.

This way I can shoot 45ACP,10mm and 40S&W using the same pistol.
The G21 is the only Glock I have ever shot accurately, and boy was it accurate! I never should have gotten rid of it. I even tried to buy it back, but lost track of it as it had changed hands several times.

·
Registered
715 Posts
The Danish dogsled patrols in Greenland chose the Glock 20 as a defensive firearm against polar bears==look them up=some real bad dudes. They also carry 30-06 1917 Enfields for bears and muskoxen

·
Registered
240 Posts
I own a G29 and it has been my EDC for about 4-5 years, I'd say. It's not particularly enjoyable for me to shoot, and I rarely do--certainly no where near as often as I should. I also own a G20 for maybe 5-6 years now, and find it far less enjoyable to shoot than the G29, and shoot it even less often. It is without question the least enjoyable handgun I own--it is simply an uncomfortable handgun for me to hold or shoot. I don't consider that I have unusually large, small or otherwise weird hands. So, that's my own experience. I would just recommend renting, borrowing or otherwise getting a hand on one that you can shoot before buying, if at all possible.

I have aftermarket triggers in both the G20 and G29, although it's been so long since I installed them I have no idea what they are. I felt when I installed them they were somewhat 'better' than the stock triggers, but triggers aren't a big deal to me--I learn to shoot with the trigger, and have never found that any trigger made any meaningful difference in my shooting, with the exception of something radical like a DAO trigger.

So...I know at least two guys personally who both love their Glocks, and of course many many shooters do, too. I would never even consider buying another one, as I find there are so many other options out there that just feel better for me. I'm not trying to convince you of anything--other than to recommend try before you buy, if practical for you. From what I've seen online, folks very much like them, or very much don't...I don't seem to see too many "it's okay"...but I could be wrong on that.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have and love the Springfield Armory XDm10 4.5 OSP. It has a 5.3" threaded barrel and suppressor height sights stock from the factory. I have added a PRP Extreme trigger kit, replaced the guide rod with a SS rod that allows the use of Commander length 1911 recojls springs. I am currently running a 26# recoil spring in it and it is very pleasant to shoot. I have it topped with a Vortex Venom 3moa dot.
I have it loaded with full house loads using Blue Dot pushing a 155grain XTP to around 1350fps.
I went to buy a Glock 40 MOS when I found the XDm. I do not regret the route I chose.

20200618_190313.jpg

·
Registered
240 Posts
Yes, only as a comparison, I run the XDm 10 5.25 pure stock and find it a pleasure to shoot--I don't have any problem with the stock trigger, either. For me, it's far more comfortable than the G20. I would definitely try to compare the two for your own self.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts