Shooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was shooting some 115 gr reloads (Berry's plated). Just got some lead 125 gr bullets (haven't reloaded any yet).

What do you guys prefer to shoot in your 9mm, 115 gr or 125 gr? What are the differences?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mike I like the 147 gr bullets for the 9mm , thats just me ..

But if my choices were 115 or 124 , i would lean heavily towards the 124s for more weight on target ..

Let the two projectiles tell you better yet which one to go with .. Load develop and see what your pistol likes more.

Lokota

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I agree with Lakota - I prefer the 125s. Try 'em both, and see what feeds best.
I had one 9 that would take 125s in round nose or conical, and another that will feed round nose all day, and choke half the time on the truncated cones.

.:)

·
Registered
676 Posts
My brothers gun shoots 147 most accurately so that is my reload for him. He has a couple of thousand rounds of bullets from 90 to 115 to 125 that need to be shot up and they all work, its just that his gun likes 147 for making tight groups. Thats my criteria, if his gun liked 115 better thats what I would load for him.

·
Banned
490 Posts
For plinking and practice, I use reloads with a plated or jacketed 115 gr. RN bullet, but if the 124's were cheaper, I would use them.

For CCW I use a 124 gr. +P+ HP factory load.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It depends on your pistol, they're all different. For my Beretta 92, the 147 grain gives best accuracy with groups half the size of the 125's or 115s. For my SIG, 125's work best. I get best results loading to velocities about 80-90% of the max listed in the Sierra and Hornady books.

·
Registered
94 Posts
My discussion here deals with accuracy rather than with throw-weight.

With my Glock 19, bullet weight seems to be less of a factor than profile. It seems to deliver the best accuracy with a bullet having a longer bearing surface. Bullets with a more gently-sloping ogive seem to do better than bullets with a more sharply-sloping one. Consequently, the lighter bullets seem to be less accurate because their reduced weight calls for a design providing less bearing surface. One of the bullets this gun likes best is the 130 gr. designed for the .38 Super.

There are often exceptions to rules, and the lighter weight conical bullets are the exception here. This is because even though they are shorter, the abruptly sloping profile increases bearing surface. For example, the (obsolete) 110 gr. Berry jacketed conical bullet (shaped kinda like a SWC) works very well.

One of the worst performers in my Glock is the bulk RP 115 gr. JHP, which has a very long ogive and short bearing surface.

My Star Model B sprays quite indiscriminately regardless of bullet weight.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I cast the Lee 124 gr. and don't even size it in my glock 26. shoots better then the WW White Box. ( 4.3 gr. Bullseye) light target load

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
You're not supposed to use cast lead in a Glock's polygonal rifled barrel...
They lead up, and then blow up.
You can search this site for numerous discussions of the phenomenon.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I have several 9x19mm pistols. Each is different.
My Glock 19 likes 124 grain(I have hard cast and watch build up, will eventually change the barrel) it will digest 115 and 147 but does not perform as accurately with them.

My 92 likes 147 grain but will shoot all of them, the 147 is more reliable and accurate.

My P1 likes 115 grain FMJ, feeds them well and shoots them with reasonable accuracy.

I got into this mess because I needed a 92 to practice with (the government doesn't supply enough ammo to become proficient) then I got a 19 to take to ODS as a backup. The P1 was something I just wanted. Having said all this....I love my M1911A1 most of all.

·
Registered
330 Posts
My Browning Hi digests 115 - 147 with no problems (all reliable) so for plinking I load what ever is the cheapest.

When at rest it is always loaded with 147's as those provide the best precsion and accuracy when I do my part.

good luck
GF

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
When it comes to shooting lead in a 9mm, I find heavier to be a bit of an advantage most of the time. The reason for that is that it's easier to generate recoil/cycling energy at velocities that minimize leading. Cost is usually so similar as not to be a problem.

Ogive configuration is always a try it and see sorta thing with any given weapon.

·
Banned
507 Posts
I have two 9mms that I shoot cast bullets in, a HiPower and a Star Starfire Plus. With 124 grains bullets I get the best accuracy abd this is also the weight of the bullets that I use for my carry pistol. I tuned the load for my HiPower and shoot almost as well in the Star.

At the range, I shoot what I carry, then there are no suprises. My load is 4.1 grains of WW231.

I do not shoot lead, or light copper plated or copper washed bullets in any of my Glocks, the barrel geometry is all wrong for cast bullets, so I don't want to use that may casue major problems.

Jerry

1 - 13 of 13 Posts