Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone out there seen the new 12-50 X 56 S & B Scope I have been looking at it on the internet for about a year and it looks like it is finally available. I am thinking of mounting it on an AR50. no one seems to know much about it and I like to do some home work on the products that I purchase a specially one that is a wanted quality investment. I have been told that S & B Scopes are amongst the top two or three scopes in the world and I would not want to make a mistake on purchasing the wrong scope for my AR50 can anyone help with advice I appreciate all I can get.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Whatz Dat ??

If you are referring to a Schmidt & Bender scope,they are one of the top 5 in the world.

I do not own one but have used several and the really preform in low light conditions or at extreme ranges. Of course you pay for what you get.

If your specific application is on a 50BMG I'm sure it would be up to the task. I have a buddy out west that coyote huntes with a 50BMG at the extreme ranges. He has a Nightforce scope and loves it. It has tick marks that are 50BMG specific for holdovers out to (IIRC)1800yds.

For a high end purchase of this magnatude would suggest that you do your homework. Don't simply cruze the internet,call the manufacturers and talk to them. AND......if you can find a place that has them in stock(good luck with that)take a first hand lookie-feelie. -----pruhdlr

·
Registered
817 Posts
Schmidt and Bender make one heck of a scope but you will pay for it. I don't think I would want 50x though. The highest I would go would be 20x. Unless all your going to do is shoot is off a bench at paper. That kind of power is really going to magnify any movement including the beat of your heart and can be distracting while trying to hold on a target. Contrary to what a lot of people think you can shoot some good distances with 10x. The quality of the glass makes up a lot for power and S&B uses some really good glass. Night Force is another good recommendation. They make some very good scopes also and they are considerably cheaper than S&B.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One of the reasons that I am considering this scope is the variable magnification. I do mostly bench target shooting and I sand bag the AR50 that weighs almost 40 lbs. The Harris bypod I purchased for the rifle wobbled to much and I and a friend both took them off. I figure if I am having the trembles on the day that I am shooting I can just turn the magnification down that day and have the option of turning it back up on the days that I am steady. My eyes are not that good any more and I can use all of the help that I can get. I appreciate all of the input the more I get the more it helps before I make the investment Thank you for the input keep it coming !

·
Registered
817 Posts
One of the reasons that I am considering this scope is the variable magnification. I do mostly bench target shooting and I sand bag the AR50 that weighs almost 40 lbs. The Harris bypod I purchased for the rifle wobbled to much and I and a friend both took them off. I figure if I am having the trembles on the day that I am shooting I can just turn the magnification down that day and have the option of turning it back up on the days that I am steady. My eyes are not that good any more and I can use all of the help that I can get. I appreciate all of the input the more I get the more it helps before I make the investment Thank you for the input keep it coming !
Understood. If you got the money to buy an S&B and that's what you want, then by all means buy it. They are top quality scopes and I'm sure you will love it and you're right, just because it says 50 on the dial don't mean you have to crank it up that high.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts