Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy Pilgrams, QKAY!! the 12 gauge shotgun, I've got my opinions and views about it. But, I'm interested in knowing what you experts out there, think of it. One gun, only, the 12 gauge, Sure it'll kill rabbits an such, and even white deer, but what about dangerous critters, those that got claws an fangs and like to eat anything that gets within a hundred yards ? Can that shotgun handle them ? Lets hear some facts and figures, THANKS, would appricate it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
HOWDY PILGRAMS, This is the GRIZZZ, Well, I see some of yyou are reading my post, but no one is talking. Guess it's up to me to stir the pot some. I'm of the frame of mind, that given the right ammo, the 12gauge shotgun, will kill, quite nicely anything that walks, crawls, or stalks the North American continent. Talking, of course, 100yds or less. Preferably, 10 to 40yards. Now I don't have any personnel experience at this endevor. But my research tells me this is so. What I'm looking for is confirmation, so let's hear it.                                            GRIZZZ,

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Hello Friend Grizz...Well, we are going to really stir up some mud with this one! While in Europe I saw some real large animals knocked graveyard dead with German 12 ga. Rottweil Brenneke slugs! A favorite cat load in Africa (wounded in the brush) has been a heavy load of buck at spitting distance! A reloader can tailor about anything one could think of from peewee 7/8 oz loads to 2 oz long range high density cannon loads.
We get so carried away at times, we forget (or haven't learned) how versatile a 12 bore can be. After all it's a .72/.73 cal cannon! Check out the energy of that solid Brenneke skug  at 100 yards and under!And, what about that meplat on the Brenneke?
Get braced, the kaka is on the way!
Best Regards, James

(Edited by James Gates at 3:53 am on Jan. 22, 2002)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Howdy, MR. Gates, Thanks for the reply to my question. You have confirmed my thinking on the matter of the 12 gauge shotgun, I'm always thinking, WHAT IF??? It's one of my favorite past times. And I've alwaays wondered, if I had to grab just one gun to do me in any and all situations, which one would it be? And I've always figured that my mossburg 12 guage would be the one. I'm a proud owner of a model 590 with a 18 inch smooth bore with rifle sights. I've killed several deer with this gun. And they all dropped where they stood. It's got good accuracy out to a hundred yards, but I've aalways liked to do my shooting down at archery ranges, the closer the better. And yes, I'm impressed with those Brenneke slugs, the 3 inch mags have energy up in the 3000fps range. and they are supposed to be real penerators.                                  THANKS AGAIN FOR THE REPLY,                                              THE GRIZZZ

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Indeed, Friend Grizz....We both know that the common smooth bore just coesn't have the romanace placed on some firearms today. Back when the hunting/shooting mags were fill with "How to" articles, we saw much more hype on them.  Smooth bores are the "dump trucks" competing with the race cars. With the better components available from outfits like Ballistic Products many of us are turning back to specialized load development. If you get a chance, check out "The Gun and Its Development" by W.W. Greener. You will be amazed at some off the loads they had over 100 years ago.
Best Regards As Always, James

1 - 5 of 5 Posts