1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
That is crazy... I would love to get a closer look at that. You wonder, what were they thinking when they came up with that. It would be interesting to watch that being shot.

·
Banned
127 Posts
This one really has my head bone thinking! My dog's ears perked up when the gears went to whirling. I saw a book a long, long time ago on unusual firearms inventions and don't really remember what all the book contained. I don't remember seeing this one though.

·
Banned
127 Posts
OK, I had to think really hard on ths one. I smell wires burning, and almost set off the smoke alarm. There was a rifle called the Puckle Gun, a flintlock with a 9 shot revolving cylinder. I wish I had a picture to post of that one! It also shot square bullets, but never went into mass production.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Square bullets? How aerodynamic is that? :D That would be another to see. I just love old guns.

When I was younger I went to the Buffalo Bill Cody Museum in Cody WY. I was fascinated!! I could have spent all day there and slept on the floor for the next day it they'd of let me. I ogled all the guns on display. And could have spent all day there, but when you have a wife that found nothing appealing in guns... well lets say they were not as interested as me and more impatient to move along. They had some crazy guns in there as well.

·
Banned
127 Posts
I would love to go to the Buffalo Bill Gun museum. I have heard that it takes two days to go through. Maybe some day.

The square bullets were believed by Puckle to cause more harm than a round projectile. It was mounted on a tripod and was to be used as a naval weapon, so obviously, it was for short range.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Makes me wonder what the timed interval between shots would be. Also wondering what the pressure might be on that last shot assuming one fired in rapid fire style. Reminds me of the earliest inline patent weapons from the early to mid 19th century.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have knowledge of the Puckle gun but I have no idea where i read about it before. It's kinda like deja-vu. So tell me... doe's the rifle have a square rifled barrel too? The device reminds be of whistles and bells, which make my little dog turn his head sideways too.
:)

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
There was a rifle called the Puckle Gun, a flintlock with a 9 shot revolving cylinder. I wish I had a picture to post of that one! It also shot square bullets, but never went into mass production.
I found this drawing of the 1718 Puckle gun patent.

http://www.wedmore.org.uk/puckle/James.htm

What puzzles me is how far the Japanese seemed to lag behind in firearm development. They seemed to prefer matchlocks to flintlocks. Maybe their style of fighting and honor code have something to do with it. I don't really know but Samurai didn't like firearms that much it seems. Here is an odd Japanese revolving matchlock pistol.

http://www.tokyo-samurai-swords.com...se_gun_jrm_015_6_barrel_revolver/DSC00048.JPG

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I was curious about why Japanese seemed to lag behind so I did some reading. I had read some about the Meiji government before. Japan did not have any firearm technology until 1543 when a Portugese ship carrying firearms was shipwrecked I believe. Soon after they used firearms in war but then firearms were banned by the Samurai up until the late 1800's when the Samurai were banned because they would attempt to overtake the Meiji government. I think I had read where they had captured an arsenal around that time. Up until the Meiji era Japan preferred isolation but the Meiji government more or less modernized Japanese warfare and they began copying foriegn firearm technology. It would be the same time setting as the movie "The Last Samurai". This pdf file explains in more detatil. Hope I am not straying too far on the subject of muzzleloading here.:eek:

http://www.dacko.ca/joanna/bigimages/a step back.pdf

Well after reading this further I see that it is opinionated and i don't agree with alot of it but it doe's provide some history on the subject. I remember seeing the movie "The Last Samurai" now and recall how the movie ended. Yipes!

·
Banned
127 Posts
I had forgotten that the Puckle Gun was set up somewhat like a Gating Gun. It is strange that square bullets were used for Turks and round bullets for Christians! As far as the Sumuri goes, maybe they thought the sword, being a silent killer, would not attract attention like the report of a rifle.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,672 Posts
The sword was an expert's weapon. The firearm would allow the lowest-class peasant to kill the most skilled samurai, hence the opposition.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts