Shooters Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another try,what accuracy can be obtained with a smooth bore barrel with sights using cast or standard factory slugs-not sabot or similar configured units. I have only had experience with 16g Remington and Winchester. Typical 5 shots 50yds 5 inch group. This was out of a drilling with the point of impact right 6inch and 3 inch low . This was from the left full choke barrel. Unfortunately, fixed sights flip up sights are set up for the 7x65 rifle barrel. One only gets the automatic flip sight for shotgun on this barrel.

I have owned and have got good shooting out of 12g Paradox double rifles. This at times can be a length process. However, we must remember that quality brands were correctly regulated. It is just a matter of systematically working through various load combinations- well mostly!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
12g SLUG ACCURACY-S-SMOOTH BORE BARRELS WITH SIGHTS

Today carried out to the pistol range and tried the following 1oz Lee Ket Drive slugs cast from pure ingot lead. 870 Remington Deer barrel IC with sights
Win compression formed hulls 2 3/4" Win245 primers, Win compression loads 1-1 1/8 oz.
Three loads 30gr Hogdon Universal,28gr and 26gr.

The range is 50mtr and targets used were the 50mtr International Slowfire.20.5" x24". The 7 to 10 ring is a a 8" diameter black, This to me is a practical aim point at the 50 yard or mtr mark.

5 shot groups standing with post support. First shots from the new barrel.

30gr 13.5"
28gr 8"
26gr 6.125" a second group of five shots gave 6.25
In the field on hogs probably ok at the 50 mark of hand.
At these ranges 900 to 1300fps is not of concern-energy to spare

Trial # 2 will be a 21" turkey barrel with a 5' Paradox choke.

Looks like a variety of factory fodder and types will give a base line comparison as was suggested in a post.

Also shot some groups with a 16g drilling at the same range today. Remingtom and Winchester. Did not shoot to anywhere near the rifle sights sights 8" groups.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.