Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys i down to just 1 gun, 12 ga pump. Do you guys think I have enough to handle small to large game at under 100 yards? I got a mod choke tube.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Yep, within 100 yards, and with the right ammo you're pretty much covered.

·
Registered
977 Posts
12g pump was the 1st gun I bought because I thought it would cover everything from 2 legs to 4 legs.

If I still could only have one gun, it would be the 12g pump. So, I have everything from slugs up to #8 shot for it, just in case I want to hunt and eat squirrel.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Unless you have tested your gun with slugs, I sincerely hope you intend to keep your shots well under 100 yards. 50 is a lot more like it, and then only with the right loads. A shotgun, any shotgun, is a short range weapon.

·
Registered
416 Posts
The barrel you have now will more'n likely shoot Foster slugs quite well. They'll take care of any large animal out to maybe 100 yards.

DC

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
For sure you can effectively get to 100 yards with a shotgun slug. Like many firearms, you have to find the ammunition/load that works best. I have seen 200 yard shots on coyote sized target repeated over and over - that is pushing the effective limit which is around 100 yards.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Get the slugs with most. Velocity so recoil doesn't have much effect on ur poi.you can get the hornady set 12 Ga slug for 13$ box. A 500 slug barrel should be under 130$ or just get a short turkey barrel and buy a rifled choke

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
The issue with using slugs from the Mossy, quite frankly, isn't the ammo or the gun. It's the shooter.
Slugs are powerful enough for just about anything you'll hunt in this country. Yes, they will work at 100 yards.
Seeing, though, as the basic Mossy has only a front bead sight.....how well can you shoot it at 100 yards?
Unless you are going to scope the gun, even fifty is a lot under field conditions.
if you are going to stay with the smooth bore, Brenneke K.O. slugs are very effective.
Pete

·
Registered
143 Posts
12 GA. Thoughts

With a 12 ga. you're set for almost anything from a power standpoint. I would suggest getting a shorter barrel for turkey and deer or a rifled barrel for big game. You should have different chokes depending on your load and what you're hunting. Hope this helps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts