Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bagged a 100 of these bullets in a blow out, looking at the barnes website they have not developed a load using cfe 223 for the 308 win. which is now my go to powder. Their recommended powder is ram tac but supplies have dried up over here in the UK.
There are loads in hodgdons for 130 grain jacketed bullets for cfe 223 but I'm concerned that I might overload the gun and exceed the safe pressure.
Does anyone have a way of calculating safe loads given one set of data for one powder and interpolating to use another?
FWIW they will be used for hunting, it's unlikely any of the deer I hunt will exceed 220 pounds weight and ranges are generally less than 250 meters probably around half that.

·
Banned
531 Posts
I'm confused! You write that Hodgdon has data for 130 grain jacketed bullet with CFE223 powder, you want to use,... why do you feel their published load data may cause high pressures with the same weight Barnes bullet?

What am I missing?

Reactions: jimboro

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Basically because all the data I have does not show cfe 223 used for 130 grn barnes tsx bullets, my Lee second edition has separate loads for 130 grn jacketed bullets with a separate entry for barnes bullets, ditto the 150 grain bullets though they do include a load for 150 grn barnes with CFE 223, all these loads for 308 win btw.
So I am confused a bit and wonder why they are "different"

·
Registered
322 Posts
I use the Barnes bullets for hunting. I load using data specifying lead based spire points sometimes. I have not found there to be any issues loading from that data. Start low as always and look for pressure or chronograph. Some think the monolithics create more pressure caused by drag or whatever. I think Barnes fixed that with the belts on the bullet that reduce contact. They are a tough bullet with very little or no weight loss after impact. Mike

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,396 Posts
Does anyone have a way of calculating safe loads given one set of data for one powder and interpolating to use another?
CFE223 comes from the WC842 parent. 842 is fundamentally WC846 with additive changes for increased copper control with all copper bullets in the military green program.

When I first started loading straight surplus 842, I used beginning 846 data.
The canister names you know that spawned from 846, are H335 & Blc-(2).

Cheers

·
Banned
531 Posts
Well, my Richard Lee Modern reloading Second Edition, has NO LOAD DATA for 130 grain jacketed bullets with CFE223 powder,... nor, dose it have any entry, for the Barnes 130 grain copper bullet.

Which got my curiosity up, so, I checked Lyman 49th edition which, again, no data for CFE223 and a 130 grain SP,... the only 130 grain bullet for 308win that it publishes.

very confused ,... now!!!

·
Banned
531 Posts
Page 520 of the lee 2nd edition
Hmmm,... MY,...Lee Second Edition has the 340 Weatherby Mag data on page 520.

Could there be two different publications?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, mike that's really helpful. I'll load up 20 starting at 52 grains and load 3 each + 0.5 grns each set up to 54 .5 grns and try them at the range next saturday.
I have a magnetospeed sport so should be able to give all the info I collect then.

·
Banned
531 Posts
Gotcha!!! Mine has a 2009 date, as the latest reprint edition.

My pages aren't even marked like yours.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,006 Posts
If you want to be cautious, and don't have data specifically for monolithic bullets... start with data from the next heavier cup-and-core bullet. The monolithic bullets will take up more space, not being as dense as lead cores.

Then work up as normal, and see what you get.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks, Mike. I noticed that the 130 grn tsx bullets have almost the same volume as some 147 grain ppu FMJ bullets that I have.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I'd email Barnes and ask if they could get you started with it. I see in the published online data they start using it with a 150 gr loading.

·
Super Moderator
13,604 Posts
Drone,
If you are seating the TSX at 2.810", then compared to Hodgdon's data for the Speer 130-grain HP seated at 2.615" for CFE223, QuickLOAD says to use -1.1% less (multiply the Hodgdon loads by 0.989).

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
7mmrlc, yes, I
saw that.
Drone,
If you are seating the TSX at 2.810", then compared to Hodgdon's data for the Speer 130-grain HP seated at 2.615" for CFE223, QuickLOAD says to use -1.1% less (multiply the Hodgdon loads by 0.989).
Thanks Uncle, that's really helpful, I'll have to google quickload and see if it's worthwhile for me to gat it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts