Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a lot of research I finally decided on getting a 444 Marlin 14" Contender barrel. I've always wanted a big bore. Can anyone on the board recommend a load or loads for Whitetail Deer and a load/loads for Elk. It would be great if you could share your experiences with these loads/caliber to. Any help would be most appreciated....RW

·
Registered
935 Posts
Hi there Ravenwolf,
It sounds like you got yourself a real fun gun as well as a good slayer of big game. Been looking at them myself lately. There is a lot of 444 data availble between Loadswap and Marshall Stanton's tech notes articles. I also have quite a lot of data I am willing to share.

There is just one problem that haunts me. My data and Marshall's data are all built around the Marlin 1895 rifles. For others it's probably built around the Winchester in 444. Marshall's and my data have proven quite safe in our own Marlin's. The probem is I do not know the actual pressure my loads develop and I do not know how much pressure is too much for your Contender. I am resonably sure the Encore is as strong as the Marlin but I am not sure where the Contender would give out. Maybe you already know the answer to this question. If not, maybe somebody else on this forum would know. Just want to keep it fun and especially safe.

Best................. Bill M

·
Registered
76 Posts
444 Marlin

Ravenwolf,

I have shot a 444 Marlin in the Contender for years now and have shot only one load, in half a dozen diffrent barrels, with great success....

Mine are Super 14's, 44 mag. rechambered to the 444 Marlin.

My favorite (and only) load for the 444 is:

CASE: Remington nickel plated 444 Marlin
PRIMER: Fed. 210 BR
POWDER: H-4895 53.0gr.
BULLET: Hornady 300gr. XTP
VELOCITY: 2200 fps.
ACCURACY: 3 - shot groups at 100 yards, 1 inch or less
COMMENTS: I have taken 9 deer and 23 hogs with the Contender in 444 Marlin, not to mention the truckload of coyotes and armadillos.... One of my customers has taken two elk! Another customer has taken an 11 foot bear! And another customer has taken a very large Caribou!

I would say that the 444 Marlin is a worthy opponent to carry on ones side.

One suggestion! let me put a muzzle brake on the barrel for you if you do not have one on it. The 444 is an awesome performer in a handgun but the recoil can be quite fierce! Also, do NOT shoot this caliber with a Pachmayr grip! You will need to stay with the T/C Competitor wood grip that has the rubber insert.....

If you do not have a 6-screw base, let me put one of those on for you too....

Just trying to help! I've had a lot of experiance with the 444 and know alot of the do's and don'ts.

DAVID

·
Registered
48 Posts
DAVID WHITE said:
Ravenwolf,

I have shot a 444 Marlin in the Contender for years now and have shot only one load, in half a dozen diffrent barrels, with great success....

The 444 is an awesome performer in a handgun but the recoil can be quite fierce! Also, do NOT shoot this caliber with a Pachmayr grip! You will need to stay with the T/C Competitor wood grip that has the rubber insert.....

Just trying to help! I've had a lot of experiance with the 444 and know alot of the do's and don'ts.

DAVID

Why do you not recommend the Pachmayr's? Does it matter which type you use (Presentation or Gripper)? What other advice do you have? I have an Encore in .444 I taken deer with and enjoy shooting it. Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts