Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am out of Win 785 for my 270 Win and looking for another good powder to replace it. From what I have read the 270 Win is not suposed to be finicky, but mine is. It shoots extremely well with 140 gn Horn BTSP's and W785 powder. Does not like 130 or 150 gn bullets and the lighter the bullet the worse it is. Question is, should I try powders that are as close to 785's burn rate and hope to find data for loading. Anyone use H1000?

·
Registered
298 Posts
I would try H414 or RE22 because H1000 is too slow for the 270 cartridge and you will run out of powder space before you get the same velocity that you can with other powders. If you use H414 you should use a magnum primer to assure consistent ignition.

·
The Shadow (Super Mod)
7,166 Posts
H414, Win 760, AA2700 is all the same powder; lot variation being the difference. Perhaps that may help you look for powder.

Cheers

·
Beartooth Regular
2,128 Posts
I have gotten good results with IMR4831 in every 270 I've loaded for. I only tried Reloder 22 in one rifle, but it was very accurate as well. I loved that Hornady 140gr BTSP.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I've used both with identical results. They are advertised as interchangeable. Currently using H4831sc since it is all I have been able to find lately.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
H-4831, H-414, H4350 are all on the list as powders that were tried with average or worse results. Powders I will try to find are the Reloader 22 and 25 and Win 780. Powder is hard to find around here, can't even find H-110.

·
The Shadow (Super Mod)
7,166 Posts
H-4831, H-414, H4350 are all on the list as powders that were tried with average or worse results.
....Win 780.
What or more importantly who's, list?

You can't find Supreme 780, because it was discontinued a long time ago. If you weren't aware of that, I'll be curious to know how old those powders you are using actually are.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,453 Posts
I would just start over.

Forget burn rates and go on line to the chosen powder "manufacturer's" website so your data is as " new" as possible.

RJ

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Historically the .270 and the H 4831 and IMR 4831 powders have been a marriage made in heaven...but most .270s are not finicky at all...The only reason I see not to use the 4831 is they are a pain to meter so most folks weigh powder charges but then again you can,t get enough of that powder in a 270 or 06 case to have high pressure, in fact it gets you more velocity and less pressure than any of the modern powders.

Other good powders are 4350, H414, ww760 (same as H414), I mostly use old WW2 4831 surplus (4350 DATA) same powder..the stuff that Jack O'Conner praised and used..I bought a 150 lb. stainless container of it some years back and still have about 30 lbs I think..I can get 3200 plus a bit with a 130 gr. bullet and reload 15 times without annealing or tossing the cases, but I do toss most at some point.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Imr 4831!!

I have been loading .270 WIN for almost 30 years. I have tried a variety of powders over the years but always keep coming back to IMR 4831. Now it is the only powder that I use for .270. 57.0gr. IMR 4831, WinLR primer, 130gr. Nosler Partition @ 2900 fps out of my Remington 700. 55.0gr. with a 150gr. Nosler Ballistic-Tip @ 2830 fps. What else is there to say?

·
Registered
6 Posts
My favorite load H4831sc, 55 grs, Nosler Partition, 130 grs shots sub-MOA out of my Tikka Lite with Nikon 3x9x40.

Jerry

·
Registered
967 Posts
OK, he's got lots of powder suggestions, generally along the same line. My question is why is he getting so much poor results? I'm wondering, Mr. Odette, have you looked into other factors, one that jumps out is seating depth off the lands. My experience, not small with the .270, is that it is pretty easy to get good loads with most any bullet from 110, even 100 gr up to 150 gr. And I've found several powders, many of them mentioned, that work good. If you are having so much trouble, I suggest that you need to look at things other than your gun being the problem--unless you have a bad barrel. Have you checked? If you do have a bad barrel, then it is pretty surprising that you found any load that was good, so I'm thinking that is probably not your problem. I think that there other things you need to look into besides just the powder.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I'd be curious to know what "shoots extremely well" means; I'd guess groups at 3/4 MOA or better? And if a rifle would only do that with 1 powder and 1 bullet weight, I'd look more closely at the rifle, too. I'd also be curious to know what kind of rifle it is, how the action is bedded, is the barrel free-floated, what's the round count on the barrel, etc.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts