Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone had some loads that have worked good with this bullet. sierra 140gr spitzer boat tail. The gun is a ruger mark II with a blued barrel. I am wanting to be able to shoot fairly long shots, 500 yards. what powder would you try first? thanks for the help

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I used H1000 with 140 Nosler BT with good results in my Uncles MKII.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I thought a MK II was a handgun???
Do you mean Model 77M?
Ruger made a 77 Mark II otherwise known as a 77 MKII. Mark II rifles are often called by the abrieviation MKII by many people.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Agree that Reloader 22 is the right stuff. I recently loaded a batch of 150 Sierra Game King over RL-22 and it is awesome load.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Sir,

Re22 in the 67.5/ 68 grain neighborhood ought to get you where you need to be with a 140 grain boat tail. I'd use a magnum primer, and Nosler calles for a fed 215M, which I use.

The Nosler data reports 3300 fps with this recipie, and its not attainable for my rifle, even with a 26" barrell. Reckon you'd count yourself lucky if you managed to get 3150. PLenty accuratte though.

Best to you Sir.

Steve

·
Banned
129 Posts
Hello Joe, I've used 65gr of IMR4350 in R-P brass and a 9 1/2M Rem primer for years with the 140 sierra flat base bullet. My Sako Finnbear has taken maybe 100 deer with this load, always worked just fine. see ya, Bill

·
Registered
5,318 Posts
Hello Joe, I've used 65gr of IMR4350 in R-P brass and a 9 1/2M Rem primer for years with the 140 sierra flat base bullet. My Sako Finnbear has taken maybe 100 deer with this load, always worked just fine. see ya, Bill
Now that's a solid recommendation!

I've had the best luck with 139gr Hornady's from my 7RM's & 7-08's over the years, but there's no flies on Sierra bullets, and I have a lot of "Green" on my loading bench. In the 7RM's, I like the 154gr Interlocks for accuracy from the rifles I've owned to date.

Depending on the rifle R22, H4831, MR3100, IMR-7828 all have their advantages. Of the three 7RM's I've owned, there hasn't been a lot of consistancy between them as to what seems to work best, unfortunately.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts