Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

Which of these are a better expander on medium game when the velocity is mild?

I want to try a 7mm-08 with a nod towards a 7x57 attitude in situations where many would just use a 30-30 (horrible fit for me stock-wise)

I am not looking to make a big thing out of this comparing wise. With your help I will just buy a box of one or the other and make them work until I have reason to change.

I do imagine sticking together and making a nice mushroom when I say expand. I don’t really want a ton of lead crumbs at this low speed.

Meat saver shots will be the rule but I want to be confident if a wary buck only offers a quartering presentation.

Thanks

·
The Shadow (Super Mod)
7,321 Posts
Gamekings tend to come apart above 25-2600 fps, where the Hornady is less so.
Neither one are reliable expanders much below 2,000 fps.
IME

Cheers

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,581 Posts
Either bullet will be more than adequate from either cartridge. I use the 150 grain GK in my Sevumag for elk/deer and the 165 grain interlock in my 30-06IMP for both and it's a toss up either way. Both do an excellent job.

Here's a 150 grain GK recovered from a 5 point rag horn bull from the Sevumag.

I've never recovered a 165

RJ

·
10,581 Posts
Too add: a lighter bullet, say 140 grain, may suit your purpposes better than the160/164.

RJ

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,876 Posts
Both bullets work well in that weight and in that chambering. My personal choice is the Hornady Interlock as both deer and elk have been taken with it using a 7x57 AI (almost equal in accuracy and velocity compared to my 7 RM) . Have never recovered a bullet due to through and through shots.
That said, my favorite bullet is the Hornady SST which has proven accurate and deadly on such game.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Recoil Junky, what do you suppose the impact speed was on that 150 SGK? That is a bigger gun and bigger target than I will have and your recovered bullet looks much better (more together) than I would have guessed.

I guess I could merge all the advice given so far and come down a fuzz in weight and try the 154 SST if people still trust them on a quartering woods shot.

·
10,581 Posts
At 7-08 velocities the 150 grain SST as kdub suggested would be a great choice. Much over that they are a great varmint bullet IME.

RJ

·
10,581 Posts
Uhm, oh boy lol!

This is only a guess, but probably 2700? The shot was between 250 and 300 yards.

RJ

Reactions: GrapeNuts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts