Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering:  Can a hardcast, roundnose, .264 bullet duplicate the penetration of a Kynoch Solid on African(or any other large) Game?  I've heard numerous accounts of that mild cartridge capable of enormous penetration.
Thanks

·
Registered
192 Posts
Sutcliffe,

I go so far as to say that a properly designed lead bullet would outperform one of the Kynoch solids in any caliber. Solids like the Kynoch and Woodleigh made their reputation because the steel jackets allowed them to stay together when dangerous game was hunted. It was a matter of the jacketed bullets available in "the good old days" being rather poorly put together. Even the most common jacketed bullet made today holds together quite well under stress.

An LBT designed bullet with its generous meplat would enhance any rifle cartridge by adding to the the wound trauma. A round nose bullet will generate much less of a permanent wound channel and certainly won't offer the "shock" value of a flat nosed bullet. The flat does the killing for you at no extra charge. A properly hardened lead bullet won't break up on impact and will maintain its shape as it penetrates. A cast bullet thats only modestly hardened will allow expantion to enhance the trauma from the shot on lighter bodied game.

In the 6.5 caliber the bullets sectional density allow fantastic penetration at modest velocities. The 6.5 Swede has been used for 100 years to harvest moose in its homeland. No need for the 338 when that 140 or 160 grain bullet just keeps plowing through. My understanding is that most of the animals harvested are taken with standard military ball ammo. Just imagine how much more effective a bullet that offers true performance on game animals would work.

The only game I would consider using a round nosed solid on would be elephant, possibly buffalo or rhino. That choice would only be made when using a 577 nitro or something similar. I'll make this promise, if I ever get to Africa my 416 Rigby will be loaded with a 375 grain LFN GC when its time for the buffalo.

For African plains game the standard choice is an expanding bullet like the Nosler Partition or Barnes X bullet.  In the 6.5 using a bullet that only weighs 140 grains  I'm not certain I'd want a bullet to loose any mass due to expansion. On a big animal like Eland I'd want a larger bore size but on a Kudu I think the 6.5 would be up to speed.

I had two customers when I was retailing firearms that I set up for African hunts. Buffalo was the only dangerous game on the menu. One was hoping for a lion. One went with a 416 Rigby from Dakota and a 338 Winchester. The other a custom 416 Remington from Sterling Davenport based on a Winchester action and a 338 Sako. Neither wanted a light rifle even though I pushed for a 270 in both cases.  The 6.5 Swede would be my light rifle.

Sorry for writing a book, I just like to think and talk about Africa. I can dream anyway....

·
Registered
2 Posts
From the homeland of 6,5 Swede.
Probably the most used caliber for moosehunting in Sweden is 6,5x55, but we use expanding bullets. Any sort of nonexpanding would be illegal.
Goran

1 - 3 of 3 Posts