Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone i am going to wyoming this year to go on a cow elk hunt and right now i am shooting a Remington model 700 300 WIN MAG Adl it's the scope combo at cabela's and it has bdc reticle out to 500 yards i can hit milk jugs at 450 yards using hornady's 165 grain SST Interlock Ammo so is that going to be good enough or would you reccomend steping up to 180 grains problay a stupid question i just asked but just thought and get some insight so thanks for your help

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
Not exactly a "stupid" question, but one that I'm going to guess you already know the answer to: If you're shooting it that well, there's no reason in the world to change, because there's no doubt that bullet will do the job on a cow elk, every day of the week, and twice on Sundays...just make sure you have 2 tags! ;)

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,115 Posts
The .300 WM has built a reputation primarily around the 180 grain bullet, but if you're doing that well with the 165 grainer, not much need to change. Have you tried the 180's to see how well your rifle will print them?

Some folks question using a plastic tipped bullet for big game, however, the SST has become my most favored hunting bullet. Have yet to recover one and all game taken so far only required the one shot to put them down. Fartherest range shot so far is about 265 yds, so can't speak on how well they perform at longer ranges, other than they group well at 300 yds, the longest range I practice to.

·
Registered
722 Posts
in my opinion the 165 grain sst is a great bullet. You should do just fine with it. You can try 180's, see how they shoot then decide

·
Registered
251 Posts
man if you hit a jug of milk at 450 yrds.every time with a 165 grain do not look for trouble.... this is coming from a guy that beleeve that the only tip that should be used on a .300 win.mag. is the180 grain!!!
Confidence is 75% of the job!!
______
roberto

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I just wonder if you could get the same accuracy (or near it) with a 165 gr Interbond or Accubond. I like those options better for a big animal.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
i think that the sst will do fine for cow elk. if it were me and i could get a hold of some hornady factory loaded gmx ammo i'd try that too... i like the 165gr bullets in the 300wm, in fact my pet load for my 300 is a 165gr tsx loaded over ramshot hunter. it gives 1/2'' groups and i have complete confidence in the bullets ability to get the job done.
that sst will do the job just fine on cow elk. it might be a bit delicate for close up shots but i have no doubt that it will work fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts