Shooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother thinks he want to get a 17 caliber center fire to take the place of rimfire for pests.
He lives on our property in north eastern Washington. About 4000 feet with thin trees and grass with rock everywhere.
What does he have to choose from?

·
Registered
678 Posts
Too many come to mind for me, I made the jump into 17s with the HMR while I was (and still am) thinking on a centerfire 17.
The hornet would be a good contender, its small case doesn't use much powder and would be a good choice for a RF replacement.
I've been thinking about the 17-204 for myself, but I need to mull it over some more, because the 204 itself is a fantastic round for that chore.

as far as what he has to choose from, almost every 22 case has been tried as a 17 from what i can tell,

here is a quick read on some of them from accurateshooter.com,

Reactions: shooter444

·
Banned
531 Posts
When I was investigating the quiet, low recoil, aspect of the 22 Hornet, I crossed paths with a fellow shooter I know investigating the 17 Hornet. I then looked into it as well, but was turned off by very few complaints about barrel cleaning techniques and it didn't seem to be as quiet as the 22 Hornet.

I hate it when replies go off topic and offer a caliber not originally asked about, but, CZ puts out about the nicest 22 Hornet bolt gun (imo) to be had!

(if this type of link is forbidden-please advise)

Maybe, you may want to investigate what I call, some of the unique bore cleaning and shooting characteristics, of some 17 calibers, and advise him accordingly?

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Not a centerfire but the .17 Winchester Super Magnum might be an option. Never reloaded for a .17 but the .204 as much as I like it is a real pain to load due to its tiny size.

·
Premium Member
15,574 Posts
.17 Center-fires are a PITA. If he wants quiet, buy a CZ M527 in 22 Hornet (Better yet K-Hornet) and never look back. The difference in noise is really surprising. I shot K-Hornet and 17 Hornets from identical rifles on my range just last week.

·
Registered
9,643 Posts
Replacing a rim fire?

Am thinking the "down side"or reloading would be more attractive than the "up side"...all the factory made centerfires would be way-way faster/more destructive than the .17 HMR/.22mag/.22LR.

(lets ignore the wild cats on smaller cases for now),

Between the .22 hornet/K-Hornet and .17 Hornet (which is a .17 K-Hornet..when it got to be a factory loading they dropped the "K")...leaning towards the .22 hornet. Really does adapt itself to the "down side" better...cast bullets...jacketed...22RF-22 Mag speeds...no problem.

Love the .17 Hornet (although a borrowed rifle...and before it was a factory offering). Doesn't really do the "down side" as well.

(store bouth or home cast...might notice there an't a lot of lead .17's).

Tougher jacketed .17 bullets (the ones designed for faster speeds/bigger cases) do act a lot like controled expansion bullets at .17 Hornet speeds....basically they won't blow up small critters as much as act like a big game bullet.

If he's gotta have a .17...then the little case rather than the big cased versions.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,516 Posts
I recently picked up a "used" CZ527 in 17 Hornet.

While load development was certainly a pain, Em* has redeemed herself by providing tiny groups with little more noise than a 22 magnum and a lot less than my .222 Rem. Em came with dies, brass, bullets (20 and 25 grain Vmax's) and some factory ammo so I had something to work with and compare to. The factory American Eagle 20 grain ammo proved to shoot better than the Hornady 20 grain (YMMV) but after some load development I had the 20 grain Vmax's shooting bugholes.

As far as cleaning goes I dont see the little Hornet being that much different than a .222 or .223 except the tooling is smaller. I did get a 17 caliber bore snake for using like I do with my .223 varmint rifles, a couple quick pulls after 20-30 rounds.

RJ

·
Banned
531 Posts
RJ,... a question,... do you run your snake through your 223rem every 20 or 30 rounds because you have to, or, because you just want / like to?

thanks

·
Registered
678 Posts
When I was investigating the quiet, low recoil, aspect of the 22 Hornet, I crossed paths with a fellow shooter I know investigating the 17 Hornet. I then looked into it as well, but was turned off by very few complaints about barrel cleaning techniques and it didn't seem to be as quiet as the 22 Hornet.
My 17 HMR is wicked loud, not a boom or anything like that, but a sharp "crack" that really hurts the ears. I would guess that centerfire 17s would be the same way, i would only use one (centerfire 17) with a can just to reduce the crack. (I need to contact Volquartsen and see if they will thread the end of my barrel and still keep the warranty in place so i can add a can to it.)

my biggest issue with cleaning my 17hmr is getting the brass end of the boresnake down the barrel, i usually use some compressed air to get it through. Its a Volquartsen and if you run a rod or anything down the barrel from the muzzle end they will void the accuracy guarantee/warranty. (just thinking about cleaning another 17 is making me want to stick with a 20.)

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
i use a 20 vartarg and its around 150-200 shots before i need to clean it(accuracy drops off). i don't have a 17, but i heard that you have clean frequently(15-30 shots then clean) or the accuracy really drops off.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,516 Posts
RJ,... a question,... do you run your snake through your 223rem every 20 or 30 rounds because you have to, or, because you just want / like to?

thanks
Because I want to. Thats about when they get hot, so I take a few minutes and run the snake through then grab a different one. I have four .223 bolt guns 😁

RJ

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
OP put this in the wildcat catridge section so I'm guessing that's what he's looking for, the only one that hasn't been legitimized that I've considered was the 17 Javalina, that a 222 case necked down to 17 and improved, pretty close to the perfect case capacity for a 17 bore.
I've had multiple 17 remingtons and a 17mach 4 which is now called the 17 fireball, both great cartridges. As far as cleaning I never had an issue with 17's.
Looking at the local farm store with empty shelves for the most part enters into the equation, I notice that there's always 17wsm and 17 hornet ammunition.
I'f I were your brother I'd buy a little laminated Ruger 77 in 17 hornet and call it good.
I get by with a 17hmr, good to 200yds and much quieter than any 22 caliber centerfire.
I shot this one last weekend, less than 2 minutes later another coyote showed up and started thrashing the muzzle of the dead one and I shot him.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The higher your velocity, the more you have to scrub the bore. If you really like bore cleaning, get something approaching or exceeding the 4000 mark. I'll stick with the HMR, the Hornet, HeBee, and Fireball cases. I like the idea of the Winchester, but with the extra cost we know it will someday be an orphan. My wife got me a .204, but I haven't fired it. The Hornet will be around forever, and the Fireball etc. will always be available if you're willing to make brass. If you've got any 5mm Remington or CCM ammo laying around, I'll gladly trade you for some more free advice.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I know th OP asked about centerfires but I'd suggest he first try a .17HMR, he may find it all he needs. I recently sold a beautiful CZ .17 HMR with which I blew up pigeon eggs at 100 yards.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Too many come to mind for me, I made the jump into 17s with the HMR while I was (and still am) thinking on a centerfire 17.
The hornet would be a good contender, its small case doesn't use much powder and would be a good choice for a RF replacement.
I've been thinking about the 17-204 for myself, but I need to mull it over some more, because the 204 itself is a fantastic round for that chore.

as far as what he has to choose from, almost every 22 case has been tried as a 17 from what i can tell,

here is a quick read on some of them from accurateshooter.com,
I agree with the Hornet case. I have one and it is deadly on varmints out to 150 yards.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I know th OP asked about centerfires but I'd suggest he first try a .17HMR, he may find it all he needs. I recently sold a beautiful CZ .17 HMR with which I blew up pigeon eggs at 100 yards.
Joe,
The reason for the center fire is that he can reload it. The 17 HMR is not being considered at all. :)

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
When I was a young "toolmaker apprentice" at 19, I bought both copies of P.O. Ackleys books, "Handbook for Shooters and Reloaders Vol I & II". There was a plethora of information captured in those volumes concerning .17 caliber wildcat cartridges and how he "gezorped" a bunch of wild critters out on Catalina Island. Dropped like a lightening bolt hit 'he wrote.'
I modified a Remington Model 722 in .222 that I bought for cheap and chambered it with a Douglas barrel for .17 Mach II buy running .221 Fireball cases through the Redding conversion dies. Remington .17 caliber 25 grain bullets took a ton of prairie dogs near the Thunder Basin Grasslands west of Newcastle, WY.
All was well up to 200 yards but after that the little bullet succumbed to the constant wind blowing out there and then the .22-250 Remington 700 was used with the 52 grain Sierra boat-tail HP's. Tons of fun.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I don't think I've ever even seen a .17 Centerfire of any flavor. I know a few that have .17 HMR though. Knew an old man years ago that had a .14 Walker and .14-222

1 - 18 of 18 Posts