Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I read a few articles on the 17 remington caliber and it sounds like an interesting caliber close to the 204 in performance on squirrels and yotes but wont tear up the yotes and cats hides. Problem is I have never seen a rifle in 17 remington. Is there any manufacturers still chambering this round or is it a rechamber job? Could rechamber a 223 as its the parent case but would like to find an original.

Just to clarify this is the 17 rem not the fireball version. Thanks for any help

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,225 Posts
Google Remington - they should still be in the .17 Remington business.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the link! I could rebarrel my 223 but I dont think I want to do that, I may keep my eye out for a 223 that wants to be converted. I definitely want one, sounds like a neat little cartridge

·
Registered
4 Posts
17 Remington in H&R rifle

My first time out, so here goes. H&R made a 17 Remington in a ULTRA WILDCAT in the
early 70s had one since 1972 built on 461 Sako action and what appears to be a douglas
barrel. Small handy rifle, and is a real tack driver. One of my favorite firearms. There are
some for sale on the internet at what appear to be reasonable prices.

·
Inactive for over a decade
1,398 Posts
I've had a 17 Remington since there introduction in 1971. Got mine in the PX at Indianhead MD Naval Station along with five boxes of shells while attending Explosive Ordnance Disposal school. Since then only seen a couple of used ones on dealers racks. When I asked about barrel condition on them, both were thought too be shot out. Another fellow in the community also bought one about the same time frame and he shot the barrel out in less than thousand rounds. I would be very leary of any used rifles in this cartridge. Your safest route is Stevens 200 rifle in 223 and a barrel from E.R.Shaw chambered in 17 Remington. Should be able too do the whole thing for less than five hundred dollars.

·
Inactive for over a decade
1,398 Posts
CZ rifles are outstanding in there manufacture and workmanship. Would supprise me if the poster could come by one of them for less than $600 especially if NIB. My cheapest CZ which was bought new in '96 from a dealer buddy who sold it at cost was nearly $500. Course going this route would be least hassle involved. There single set trigger makes them a dream too shoot and accuracy out of the box is outstanding.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Saw the cz's, may go that route. Went into a local store today that deals in coopers to order a new deer rifle and he had model 22 in 17 remington. Rediculously tempting but it was another $1500, almost pulled the trigger on it.

·
Inactive account
788 Posts
I have a .17 Remington and it has fired well over a 1000 rounds (I know, as I started off with a bulk box of 1000 Remington 25 grain bullets). The barrel is still going strong, with 5 shot groups under an inch.
Never had any problems with split necks or other problems.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.