Shooters Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one have a good recipe for the 44 mag with 180 XTP's and H110 in a SBH? I happened upon a few 180 gr bullets, and thought Id try em out, maybe use for a home defense round or maybe just make a few water jugs disapear.LOL

·
Registered
243 Posts
Years ago, I used the 180gr Sierra JHC for deer hunting. I called their reloading hotline and was given about the identical load listed on the max side of the one listed for H110 on Hodgdons website.

I must say that is was extremely accurate from my scoped Redhawk, resulting in many rested groups of around 1" at 100yds. I must also throw in that it will get your attention when you let one loose. There is nothing docile about it. It isn't terrible, and my 5'1" 100# wife learned to shoot with it, along with a few other girls who happened along at the indoor range I shot at.

Work it up and see how it does for you. It definitely draws a crowd at the indoor range for sure. LOL

Good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
28gr. H110

#350 CCI primer

180gr XTP

Makes milk jugs explode. Broadside shots under 100yds. on deer require no blood trail following.

Load I prefer:

!80gr XTP

#300 CCI

25gr 2400

May not have velocity of H110, but very accurate out of my 44'CAUTION: This post discusses loads or load data that equals or exceeds published maximums for the cartridge(s) mentioned. Neither the writer, The Shooter's Forum, nor the staff of The Shooter's Forum assume any liability for damage or injury resulting from using this information. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DUPLICATE THE DESCRIBED LOADS without first working them up from a published safe starting level charge while watching for pressure signs. If you don't know how to do that, don't try.

·
Banned
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just looked at Hogdons site, and had to add it to my favorites. The only thing is most of these loads are designated rifle, and Im using them in a handgun, a SBH, Im sure their safe, but wanted to check??? Thanks again.

·
Inactive
1,626 Posts
Not For Big Stuff

I would not recommend the 180gr HP's for anything bigger than a raccoon or yote. Especially driven at the higher speeds.

While the XTP line of bullets is a tough one,they will still come apart or veer off course upon impact with hard bone or cartilage,and/or thick fat. They work ok driven at 44Special speeds and the lower mag speeds.

There are so many good 44 bullets for hunting deer and hog of the >240gr variety,I would stick to those.

For the plinkin',blowing stuff up thang,pick the hottest load in any load book and stuff it full. The SBH will surely handle the HOT load and so will the bullet. Of course your intended water jug will be the real looser.

Have Fun -----pruhdlr

·
Banned
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I found 15 180s that originally came in sabots intended for a muzzle loader, just thought itd be fun to see what they did in the Blackhawk. For hunting I like the 300 grain XTPs, I shoot them in my Winchester and my Ruger.

·
Inactive
1,626 Posts
You Said It

Matt, you can't go wrong with the 300gr XTP outta ANY hot loaded 44mag. I was guiding a fellow that had a single shot, long bbl(IIRC 28") falling block chambered in .444Marlin. He hit a 248lb(Maine,field dressed)whitetail square on the shoulder with the 300gr XTP and we found that it exited the deer and stuck in a white pine about 10yds in back of the deer.

He told me that the load was as hot as possible,and coming outta a long bbl'ed .444,I'm sure was moving right along. That was proof enough for me of the toughness of that bullet. ---pruhdlr

·
Banned
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes sir, theyre pretty tough. Ive shot a couple really big hogs that proved the lethality of that bullet and the 44 mag. I hunt with a 16" winchester trapper, and have taken a lot of game with it.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Just looked at Hogdons site, and had to add it to my favorites. The only thing is most of these loads are designated rifle, and Im using them in a handgun, a SBH, Im sure their safe, but wanted to check??? Thanks again.
Matt,

When you go to Hodgdon's site, and access the Data page, the first drop down box will allow you to select either Rifle or Pistol loads. After that, pick your caliber, then you can pick bullet weight powder brand, and even separate it by specific powders. It will let you narrow it down to what your looking for in a number of ways.

Good luck.

·
Banned
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I figured it out on the second try, but thanks for the help. I found their site very imformative and heloful. Thank yall fo rthe helo too. Its great to have a resource like this to turn too when you have a question.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.