Shooters Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this casing on the beach in Frisco, NC. I'm curious if anyone has any info on this cause I've searched and only found cases made after number 10. I'm extremely curious about this cause it's well over 100 years older then me. Thank you for reading my post even if you don't have any leads..

·
Premium Member
15,721 Posts
Thats the brass base off a Peters 10 ga. shell. Peters was bought by Remington and became Remington-Peters or R-P.

Remington bought Peters in 1934, so your shell base was prior to that time. FWIW, Dupont bought Remington in 1933 so a year later Dupont had most of the powder manufacturing in the USA.
Peter's

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Not an 1800's shotshell. Probably after the turn of the Century. Still a nice find.

Good luck and all the best.

·
Premium Member
15,721 Posts
Peters started making rolled paper shotgun hulls in 1902. Before that were only brass shells. Is yours a brass base or a entire brass case?

According to This site the Peter's League was made from 1902 to 1911.

Interesting info on that site, too. The big P surrounding the primer started in 1911. Made in USA was added to the headstamp in 1930.

Reactions: bavaria55n

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Peters started making rolled paper shotgun hulls in 1902. Before that were only brass shells. Is yours a brass base or a entire brass case?

According to This site the Peter's League was made from 1902 to 1911.

Interesting info on that site, too. The big P surrounding the primer started in 1911. Made in USA was added to the headstamp in 1930.
It just has the brass base, so you're probably right. I'm gonna check this site out. Thank you all.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Brass base and the primer hasn't been struck... some duck hunter must have lost a loaded round into the water and after all these years the paper deteriorated and the brass base , unfired washed up on the beach . 10 ga. was very popular with duck and market wildfowl hunters back then .
I think the unfired primer is pretty neat ! Nice find !
Gary

·
Registered
652 Posts
Not that it matters much, but blowing up the photo it looks like the primer may be dimpled. A misfire? Even more interesting…

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
To me, the primer looks dented. Perhaps unfired, but struck lightly by a pin driven by a weak spring? Or is that a trick of the light and corrosion?

·
Premium Member
15,721 Posts
I see a dimple, too. I doubt it fired.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It had a small indentation but I'm not sure if it was fired or not. I gave it to my Grandmother's husband, he was very interested in it. Thank you guys for the comments.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts