Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been handloading some Hornady 185 gn SWC for my HK45, however, they are not feeding into the chamber properly. :confused: The OAL is purportedly 1.135", but I've shot some Winchester factory 185 gn SWC with no issue and if I recall correctly, the OAL seemed to be a bit longer. Is it the geometry of the bullet, or perhaps the OAL is too short? I do taper crimp after seating. I'd really like to resolve this issue as I have about 800 of these projectiles. Any insight would be appreciated.

·
Registered
123 Posts
If the Winchester loaded ammo works measure the known ammo and duplicate the over all length. Load data will be for a shorter length, so your pressure should be SLIGHTLY less if your COL is longer than listed, but not by much. So, in short try the longer length. It really is what the gun likes . Oh, yes taper crimp them. Just never roll crimp an acp.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Have you tried wadcutter magazines? They make work better with that short bullet. Those are notoriously hard to feed anyway. I'd go with the 200 gr. It feeds much better even with GI lips. This is what a wadcutter magazine(follower lips) look like. Click on the small thumbnail with the blue background and it's the one on the left.

https://www.checkmatemagazines.com/cart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=11&idproduct=25

As for the 185 gr bullet you might try seating it out and dropping it in your chamber and keep seating it about .020" deeper each time you try and watch for when the rim is flush or slightly below the hood. That will be your best length for that bullet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts